Tikka T3X lite 300 Win Mag barrel with a Giraffe throat

Gila

WKR
Tikka T3X lite 300 Win Mag barrel with 1:10” twist loading 200 gr ELD-X bullets. The magazine limitation is 3.37”. I loaded to that length and ended up with a CBTO of 2.720. The jam point ended up being 2.930...That’s .210” of jump? I was getting around 1 MOA with 180gr Accubonds in factory ammo. Really need to have a 3.5” length magazine to do this bullet justice but we shall see.

EDIT: I wanted to mention that from what i have been able to determine is that the cone is longer for the 300 win mag chamber, but unable to verify this. Has anyone loaded up a 300 win mag with an ELD-X 200 gr. in a Tikka T3x barrel with a OAL of 3.34” ???

Last edited:
I tried the 200 eld x at 3.34” in my T3X and the results weren’t great. About 1.5” groups were the best I could achieve using H1000, H4831, and H4350. My rifle has been cut to 20” and throws the 178 sub moa at almost 3k fps.

Tikka T3X lite 300 Win Mag barrel with 1:10” twist loading 200 gr ELD-X bullets. The magazine limitation is 3.37”. I loaded to that length and ended up with a CBTO of 2.720. The jam point ended up being 2.930...That’s .210” of jump? I was getting around 1 MOA with 180gr Accubonds in factory ammo. Really need to have a 3.5” length magazine to do this bullet justice but we shall see.

EDIT: I wanted to mention that from what i have been able to determine is that the cone is longer for the 300 win mag chamber, but unable to verify this. Has anyone loaded up a 300 win mag with an ELD-X 200 gr. in a Tikka T3x barrel with a OAL of 3.34” ???
I’ve got the T3x lite also. However, I did find an 180 grain accubond load that shoots 0.5 inch groups. The recipe is as follows: Nosler Brass, CCI 250 primer, H-4831 73.4 grains, CBTO 2.7280, velocity 2883 fps. As you mentioned, the jump is .210, but it still groups well for me.

madcalfe

WKR
I’ve got the T3x lite also. However, I did find an 180 grain accubond load that shoots 0.5 inch groups. The recipe is as follows: Nosler Brass, CCI 250 primer, H-4831 73.4 grains, CBTO 2.7280, velocity 2883 fps. As you mentioned, the jump is .210, but it still groups well for me.
jesus 2883fps with 180's is slow so 300wm

jesus 2883fps with 180's is slow so 300wm
Agreed. Once the snow is gone and I can get out to my range I’ll be increasing the powder charge to see if I can improve the velocity without losing accuracy. I’m fairly new to reloading and Hodgdon manual shows charge compression at 73.0 grains. I clearly have more room in the case so we’ll see where I land.

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my Tikka 300 Win Mag with the Hornady Precision Hunter 200 grain ELDX factory ammo.

47abc599cf736f11c466cae39872ced2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcalfe

WKR
Agreed. Once the snow is gone and I can get out to my range I’ll be increasing the powder charge to see if I can improve the velocity without losing accuracy. I’m fairly new to reloading and Hodgdon manual shows charge compression at 73.0 grains. I clearly have more room in the case so we’ll see where I land.
yea you should be up around 3050+ fps

yea you should be up around 3050+ fps
Thanks, I appreciate your input.

This rifle has only 50-75 rounds down the barrel so I suspect I’ll gain some velocity (how much ?) with additional wear. With components (especially the 180 accubond and primers) being hard to get, I’ll spend a few more rounds attempting to elevate the velocity, but not a lot. Quite honestly 2900-2950fps will serve my needs.

Haven't had a rifle recently that needed to jump 0.200" plus but man I dont worry about long ass jumps like I used to. Seems like people worry about getting close to the lands too much.

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

This rifle has only 50-75 rounds down the barrel so I suspect I’ll gain some velocity (how much ?) with additional wear. With components (especially the 180 accubond and primers) being hard to get, I’ll spend a few more rounds attempting to elevate the velocity, but not a lot. Quite honestly 2900-2950fps will serve my needs.

I'm getting lower/mid 2840 fps with 200 eldx in a 6.5# (bare rifle) 300 wsm with H4831. I could probably get some more speed with RL26 but honestly that little gun thumps me enough as it is and there isn't nothing that 2840 FPS with a 200 eldx wont be more than enough for! I wouldn't blame you if you left well enough alone.

madcalfe

WKR
yea I don't chase the lands at all. I usually load to book length and adjust minimally ELDX and accubonds seem to be accurate in every rifle I've loaded them for. the ABLR's are some times finicky though.

Haven't had a rifle recently that needed to jump 0.200" plus but man I dont worry about long ass jumps like I used to. Seems like people worry about getting close to the lands too much.

I'm getting lower/mid 2840 fps with 200 eldx in a 6.5# (bare rifle) 300 wsm with H4831. I could probably get some more speed with RL26 but honestly that little gun thumps me enough as it is and there isn't nothing that 2840 FPS with a 200 eldx wont be more than enough for! I wouldn't blame you if you left well enough alone.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I’m not a long range shooter. Most of the deer I’ve killed over the years have been within 50 yards. I bought the rifle for an Alaskan moose hunt. My practice range is 300 yards. As such, I’ll be limiting my live shots to that distance (preferably less). While I am comfortable with the current velocity, I wouldn’t mind cranking it up a bit more providing I can maintain my grouping.

ndbuck09

WKR
I know you may not be going this way but the barnes ttsx bullets do like a decent jump to the lands and I've had solid results out of my 2014 t3 lite.

I know you may not be going this way but the barnes ttsx bullets do like a decent jump to the lands and I've had solid results out of my 2014 t3 lite.
Thanks. That was my first choice in the 165 grain. The best I could get was a 1.25” group. With the accubond I was able to cut that down to 0.47.

The Nosler Brass seems to have a greater case capacity than the Winchester brass that Hodgdon used in developing their data. They indicate compression with 73.0 grains of H4831. With the Nosler, it appears I could get somewhere in the vicinity of 75 grains before compressing. That should give me some room to get increased powder charge without developing pressure issues.

Good work, comparing loads from different manuals is a great way to see the range you have to work with in.

How long is the barrel on that Tikka? I gather you haven't cut it down?

Got you. Was thinking about the velocity you said you get with the 180 Accubonds.

With that amount of jump, it can make a difference in pressure and therefore velocity. I don't think you're terribly low given the jump, IME. As well you indicate there is room to go up in powder charge when comparing different sources. Work it up cautiously and you're going to have a great setup.

I appreciate the thoughtful comments. I’m going to push the load up by another 1/2 grain and see what I get from that. Unless the component market loosens up a bit, I’ll likely stop there. Weather permitting, I hope to shoot sometime during the next week. If the group stays tight, I’ll run a few rounds through the magnetospeed. I’ll check back and share the results.

Thanks again for the feedback

I appreciate the thoughtful comments. I’m going to push the load up by another 1/2 grain and see what I get from that. Unless the component market loosens up a bit, I’ll likely stop there. Weather permitting, I hope to shoot sometime during the next week. If the group stays tight, I’ll run a few rounds through the magnetospeed. I’ll check back and share the results.

Thanks again for the feedback
As promised. I did push the load up to 74.0 grains and was able to shoot this morning. The velocity increased to 2940 fps with an extreme spread of 19. Unfortunately, the group opened up to 1.4”