Tikka T3X: Excessive throat

burborg

FNG
So I happened upon a Tikka T3X 7mm-08 on sale at a local gun shop and I snatched it up. I took it to the range with a box of ELD-X ammo and the accuracy was pretty lousy (2 moa), but I reload so I wasn't put off quite yet.

I picked up a box of 139 gr Barnes LRX and checked the seating depth. Turns out the throat is so long that the bullet has to jump 0.100" when loaded to the maximum magazine length. I figured that might be okay since Barnes bullets like to jump. Headed to the range and had 5 shot groups ranging from 1.1" to 1.5".

I've checked other 140 gr bullets and the results are basically the same, around 0.100" of jump to the lands when loaded magazine length. I don't expect all of them to be as tolerant of this jump, either. And what if I want to load 120s?

I can buy an aftermarket magazine for $70 that will allow me to seat out to the lands, but I feel like a) I shouldn't have to spend the extra money, and b) it doesn't address the real problem.

My excitement for this rifle has definitely waned. I was a Tikka fanboy after picking up a T1X, but now I just own a rimfire that outshoots my hunting rifle.

Any advice?

gbflyer

WKR
Load some longer and single feed to see if that helps. My guess is that it will not help much. I don’t like long jumps either however I have rifles that shoot fine that way.

Assume you’ve probably checked mounts, changed scopes, checked barrel free float, etc. If it is the barrel you’re better off financially to just get rid of it. If you want to mess with it, there are always new take offs around to try.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 30-06 T3x that jumps quite a bit. I think with 150gr TTSXs is was 0.16”. Seat the bullet to the mag length and send it. Shoot decent enough groups.

OP
B

burborg

FNG
Load some longer and single feed to see if that helps. My guess is that it will not help much. I don’t like long jumps either however I have rifles that shoot fine that way.
Good idea.

waspocrew

WKR
Agreed, try loading some long and single feed. If it works, figure out if the other mags will work and go from there.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I bunch of their rifles have long throats. Sucks for factory but if you are willing to load long it’s pretty sweet because you can pick up some bonus velocity.

wyosam

WKR
So I happened upon a Tikka T3X 7mm-08 on sale at a local gun shop and I snatched it up. I took it to the range with a box of ELD-X ammo and the accuracy was pretty lousy (2 moa), but I reload so I wasn't put off quite yet.

I picked up a box of 139 gr Barnes LRX and checked the seating depth. Turns out the throat is so long that the bullet has to jump 0.100" when loaded to the maximum magazine length. I figured that might be okay since Barnes bullets like to jump. Headed to the range and had 5 shot groups ranging from 1.1" to 1.5".

I've checked other 140 gr bullets and the results are basically the same, around 0.100" of jump to the lands when loaded magazine length. I don't expect all of them to be as tolerant of this jump, either. And what if I want to load 120s?

I can buy an aftermarket magazine for $70 that will allow me to seat out to the lands, but I feel like a) I shouldn't have to spend the extra money, and b) it doesn't address the real problem.

My excitement for this rifle has definitely waned. I was a Tikka fanboy after picking up a T1X, but now I just own a rimfire that outshoots my hunting rifle.

Any advice?

Just buy some factory long action magazines and a long action bolt stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

burborg

FNG
Just buy some factory long action magazines and a long action bolt stop.

Cheaper just to buy the $70 aftermarket magazine that let's me load to 3.000" COAL

wyosam

WKR
Cheaper just to buy the $70 aftermarket magazine that let's me load to 3.000" COAL

Bolt stops are cheap (or easily modified to whatever longer length you need for free), and factory magazines are readily available for about $40. You’re going to have change the bolt stop for a 3.000” mag anyway.

OP
B

burborg

FNG
Bolt stops are cheap (or easily modified to whatever longer length you need for free), and factory magazines are readily available for about $40. You’re going to have change the bolt stop for a 3.000” mag anyway.

Hm. Are you absolutely certain? I was looking and my bolt definitely goes farther back than the factory mag was designed to accommodate. There is about a quarter inch of unused space at the back of the factory mag, which is kind of annoying, but it looks like the bolt slides far enough to engage a longer round.

Tikka M+ mags should allow over 0.100 longer than the M mags that I believe come with 7/08. 2.950" vs 2.830" IIRC.

Is the throat actually "excessive"? Like do you know it's actually longer than standard SAAMI spec? Modern 7mm bullets in a '08 case are not a good match for 2.83" magazines.

wyosam

WKR
Hm. Are you absolutely certain? I was looking and my bolt definitely goes farther back than the factory mag was designed to accommodate. There is about a quarter inch of unused space at the back of the factory mag, which is kind of annoying, but it looks like the bolt slides far enough to engage a longer round.

Forgot about the m+ mag. So there is a bit of extra room with the short bolt stop. May be enough. Definitely enough for the M+ mags which as others have mentioned, might be enough to do what you want. I use long action magazines for all my tikkas except for my Dasher, which uses m+ because that’s what I had handy and never had a reason to change it. Everything else (including 7-08 Ackley) all run great in long magazines and long bolt stops. Easier for me because I have quite a few barrels that get swapped around.

OP
B

burborg

FNG
I was able to get an M+ magazine for a little over $40 with free shipping, so it seemed like a no brainer. Works perfectly with my existing bolt stop.

BKM

FNG
I’m still a long ways off with my 6.5cm with a no binder aics with my tikka. 130tmks are a mile off, well over .1 when seated at caliber depth.

With H4350 it still shoots under 1” groups with 147eldm, else, and TMK.

Jimbee

WKR
I've modified 2 medium factory bolt stops to increase bolt travel. After some use both eventually wore and allowed the bolt to slide all the way out and I had to buy an aftermarket stop. Just an FYI for anyone