Tikka T3x D-18 Stock

JGTWI

WKR
I’m hoping to throw a question out here for the people who have some experience with Tikka mods, as I’m a bit stumped.

I have a T3X D-18 that I bought from Cabela’s with the truetimber stock on it, with the intention of replacing the stock with a drop in bar a later date.

Within the pst couple months I have bought a T3X stock from B&C and Stocky’s, and neither on have fit. The barely channel seems fine and the rear let of the receiver cold be okay, but the widest part of the receiver/action area is quite a bit too wide to drop in to the stock. Is there something about the D-18 version that is different than a standard T3x? Or is it something obvious that I’m missing?

I was planning on a drop in stock as I really don’t want to take it to a gunsmith for any significant fitting. But I’ll go that route if necessary.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2807.jpeg
    IMG_2807.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 135
That picture is of the barrel shank. The d18 is a larger profile barrel than the t3 lite, it makes sense that it doesn't fit. You can easily sand it out yourself with some sandpaper wrapped around a deep drive socket.

OP
J

JGTWI

WKR
Sorry- the picture is probably confusing. I just included that for a little context about the gun. I *think* the entire barrel would fit (including the shank) in the stocks I had, but couldn’t really tell because the action was so tight.

I’m sure I could sand out the action area, but was hoping for either a drop in fit or something with very minimal fitting. It was far enough off that it would have been a fair bit of sanding to get it right.

Macintosh

WKR
Every other t3x model has the same action, so someone who has dealt with a d18 model might need to chime in if its a different action. Is it possible you were hitting the recoil lug so it would not allow the action to fully seat?

The D-18 version uses the same action as the T3x. The problem that you are experiencing is that the barrel profile is larger than the T3x, as ResearchinStuff pointed out, specifically the profile just in front of the action, which is why it seems that the action is tight. As others have pointed out, a bit of sanding with the sandpaper wrapped around a 1.25" socket in the barrel channel right up near the action, taper it down and use a .8" diameter socket out along the remainder of the channel will get you where you need to be.

OP
J

JGTWI

WKR
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. That’s just what I need to know.

I wonder if there someone makes a pre-fit for the D-18.

I could certainly sand it, but I’d have to admit to being a bit nervous about messing up on an expensive stock 😬

Motown

WKR
JA Outdoors has the Mesa stocks that you can order which are an 8-12 week wait. You just have to select the Wideland/Roughtech barrel channel which is the D18 contour.

OP
J

JGTWI

WKR
I was looking at those altitude stocks some tie back after reading the article from Mark & exo about his Tikka project. They look nice, and might be just the ticket at this point.

Thanks fellas for getting me straightened out.

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same rifle. I ordered a McMillan and when it came did not fit. Took it to a gunsmith and he fitted it a bit more. Accuracy was not what I liked. Took it back and he really couldn’t do much more to it. I bit the bullet and sent the rifle to Mcmilian. They said there was a crack in the stock from torque. It took em about 6 months to get it back. Completely new and fitted stock. Free of charge. Shoots like a tac driver now.

Tightly fitted barrel channels are overrated. Order bigger than you need and you won’t have any problems.

Yep, if you take a bit more than you need out of the channel, no big deal. As long as the forearm stays stiff, which it will even if you open it up too much, you will be just fine.

I just purchased a stock that has a Sendero barrel channel that I will be dropping a Light Palma profile barrel into while I wait for my Manners stock to finish up (only 4 months to go). I am confident it won't matter a bit.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yep, if you take a bit more than you need out of the channel, no big deal. As long as the forearm stays stiff, which it will even if you open it up too much, you will be just fine.

I just purchased a stock that has a Sendero barrel channel that I will be dropping a Light Palma profile barrel into while I wait for my Manners stock to finish up (only 4 months to go). I am confident it won't matter a bit.

I’ve gone as far as to cut my channels to as big as I can now. M24 or straight 1.2”. Never have to worry about fitting a barrel for the life of the action/stock. There is zero downside to it at all if the stock can handle it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
JA Outdoors has the Mesa stocks that you can order which are an 8-12 week wait. You just have to select the Wideland/Roughtech barrel channel which is the D18 contour.

Are these pretty nice? I’d like a stock with a vertical grip and these look pretty good.

Form has stated that they are basically the worst tikka stock available. Demonstrably lower hit rate and muzzle control during recoil.

Reactions: NSI
Form has stated that they are basically the worst tikka stock available. Demonstrably lower hit rate and muzzle control during recoil.

I have one on a Remage build I did and it works very well. I shoot it much better than the Stockys fiberglass sporter stock I have on my other Remage build.