Tikka T3 or Sako A7

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
How many high country hunter here have made the Tikka T3 or the Sako A7 their go to rifle? Seriously looking at a 7mm Rem Mag in a Tikka. Wondering how the recoil is? Also interested in the Sako but in my old age(45)I'm interested in spending less on rifles and more on hunting..

Thanks

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I had a Tikka T3 in 300 WM and would still be running it if I hadn't gone with Kimber Montana. Great rifles IMO that shoot the lights out. Hard to beat for the price.

littlebuf

Banned
i love my tikka.ive had it for years and have packed it everywhere.mines in 300 whinny.there all cut on the same machines as sako.barrels are identical and the tikkas action is smooth as glass.i only shoot reloads but i would imagine the accuracy with factory ammo is great as well,mines a tack driver. that being said i love the A7 also and plan on buying one in the future,for the money though its the tikka. it will shoot side by side with the A7 all day.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Utah,

I bought a limbsaver recoil pad for it and found it just fine for the Tikka in 300 WM. You are on the right track getting a long action caliber in the Tikka as even the short actions use the same overall action length so might as well get the long action advantage if you aren't gonna be saving the weight in getting a short action.

I got a .308 Win in Kimber Montana and have since moded it recently so it 4 pounds 12 oz for the rifle. All up with a scope its 5.5 pounds on the nose. I like the .308 for everything except coastal bears. Plenty for the moose, caribou, sheep, black bears, and even taken two grizz with a .308.

Bearguide is right the. The ballistics of the .284 (7mm) is tough to beat though. If I were to go Kimber Montana and wanted those ballistics you could get a heck of a lightweight hunting rig in Kimber Montanta 84m and the 7-08 round. Kicks like a kitten and offers great bullet ballistic coefficients.

BuckSnort

WKR
I bought a T3 lite in 270 WSM 5 years ago.. I love this rifle, smooth action and a very easily adjusted trigger... Load development was easy it shot under 3/4" MOA with everything I fed it.. This spring I'm gonna load up some 110 gr. Barnes TTSX at around 3400 fps... We'll see..

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought the tikka 7mm back in 2003 and it is the only rifle I use for Elk and Deer. As many have noted it is a tack driver and for $$ difficult to beat. I shoot a 154 grain Hornady sst and love the performance. It also does well when buried in snow.

hodgeman

WKR
I had one in .300 WSM...excellent rifle for the cash. No experience with the A7, never even seen one but the Tikka is hard to beat for the $$$.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am holding it above my head:) Was just a beautiful day on the MT and thought it made an interesting photo at the time.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am holding it above my head:)

That got me to laugh, Ross.

T3s are fine rifles, and I wouldn't turn a deal on one down. All those I have shot were shooters. It is kind of hard to warm up to the plastic action/magazine parts, though.