Tikka T3 lite factory ammo choice

Motown

WKR
I also have 3 other Tikkas in factory stocks all torqued to 40 in/lbs as well. They are shoot similar to the 308 and I never removed the speed bumps.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
That's one thing I didn't think about I guess being its a OEM stock is the torque on the action screws. I'll need to check that. Because I torqued them to "feel".

DRD

FNG
We use 35-40 in lbs on (2) T3 308s and the Hornady 150 and 165 SST Superformance on So Tx whitetails with sub-moa and excellent on game performance. Will be following

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Picked up a Wheeler Engineering Fat wrench. The increments are a little tuff to tell. from 10 to 65 in 5 in-lb increments. I have it set at what appears to be 40, but it could be a little more or possibly a little less. Well see.

16Bore

WKR
As long as it’s consistent it won’t matter too awful much.

Pn8hall

WKR
We have 3 tikkas in my group all in 30-06. For a factory round the Rem Core-lokts shoot very well for all 3 rifles. I reload also and use 168gn Barnes TTSX and 165 gn Accubonds with great success. Find a factory round that uses either of those 2 bullets such as Barnes Vortex or Nosler Trophy grade and I am sure your Tikka will love them also. All of our rifles are stock with no mods at all.

Motown

WKR
Picked up a Wheeler Engineering Fat wrench. The increments are a little tuff to tell. from 10 to 65 in 5 in-lb increments. I have it set at what appears to be 40, but it could be a little more or possibly a little less. Well see.

I have had good luck with the fat wrench over the past 4-5 years. Word of advice is to make sure you turn bottom all the way out again when you are finished with it to relieve the spring tension. A few years ago I had mine turned to around 40 in lbs and forgot to turn it out. Went to use it again a few months later and it was locked up. I contacted Wheeler and they sent me a new one no questions asked but just giving you a heads up.

My 308 tikka likes lighter loads. Hornady whitetail in 150 were my goto. Switched to GMX to get away from lead.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
Checked and it appears my right hand is a torque wrench in itself. 40 in-lb was damn near dead nuts with what I had. Now just need to play with some different ammo.

Buddy of mine mentioned the Hornady WT's but I purchased the BlueBox strictly because thats all they had.
i have used blue box in multiple rifles for rough sighting in, and i have never owned a rifle it didn't shoot well in. i have never hunted with it, but like having it on hand because it's cheap and accurate. i'm sure it's been mentioned, but hornady precision hunter shoots well in most rifles i have seen... all of my tikkas have liked sst's, so that's surprising.

i'm currently liking the performance of terminal ascent in my 6.5... i plan on loading some of them and hammers when i run across some powder, but the terminal ascent shoots well in our few rifles

Barnes Vor-TX in 168 grain TTSX

My Tikka .308 loves that ammo. However the TTSX doesn't expand at 180 yards. I made 4 pencil holes through an Elk. So I started playing with other ammo. Nothing works as well. I tried accubonds, hornaday, rem core-tipped, federal. Not even close to the TTSX

SDHNTR

WKR
No one else’s gun matters to yours. You have to find what your unique rifle likes.