Tikka T1X in 22lr

JohnB

WKR
I've got a T3X Lite in .270 and I've been considering buying a T1X as a practice rifle and an easy way to get a lot more time behind a rifle. I injured my neck a few years ago and can be a bit recoil sensitive even with the 270 plus I'm a cheap dude who struggles to rationalize shooting $1.50 bullets without a training strategy. I'd like to think if I had a 22 I'd have an easier time stopping by the range for a quick half hour session.

What I'm wondering is what advice folks have regarding optics, buying a T1X or what else I should be thinking about. I've currently got a V3-Xi 3.5-10 on my 270 but don't feel like I need the same on the T1X. I'd like to be able to get done more practice dialing so would like something that can dial but isn't necessarily perfect like for comp shooting.

From my understand the T1X has a different stock that the T3X but if I buy a takeoff OEM stock it'll drop right in? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The t1x has the same stock but it has a different recoil pad. I just got a t1x and I’d suggest that you upgrade to a limbsaver recoil pad on your 270 and use the extra one to replace the one on the t1x.

I got a tract rimfire scope and I really like it.

Attachments

• CB511638-7059-45B1-AD18-457B3857C191.jpeg
    CB511638-7059-45B1-AD18-457B3857C191.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 64

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We do a lot of shooting with 22s and the training with them doesn't transition as well as I would like it to. I would recommend buying a 22 with the intention of training for centerfire. I would however recommend buying a good 22 with the intention of having a hell of a time for a lot cheaper than a centerfire! The rifle is only going to be as good as the scope you put on it! I mean it when I say that if you want to shoot a ways out with it put a good scope on it! I shot a grouse last year at 200 yards so they are more than capable with good ammo!

Tikka T1 and T3 are going to be the same action footprint with a different magazine well cut! Most manufactures have a T3 inlet that also works with the T1. The only issue that you could run into is in the back of the mag well cut you could need additional clearance. We have different trigger guards for the T3 and T1 just to provide a little extra clearance.

Macintosh

WKR
22 is absolutely going to help you train trigger press, getting solid shooting positions, dialing and working up dope, manipulating the scope and rifle, etc. It will also help you avoid developing a flinch. The only down-sides I see are that while you will be calling wind for sure, the wind calls are very different and dont at all transfer to centerfire, and you can get away with some positional stuff (your alignment with the gun, etc) with a 22 that will show up as issues when you add centerfire recoil.
If you want to train for dialing, in order to see what is shooter error versus ammo inconsistency, you do need somewhat good quality ammo becasue you'll really see differences from inconsistent velocity as vertically-spread groups when you get out past 100 or 200 yards with a 22. If you want to dial and practice some longer range shooting you will likely need a scope/rail combo that allows a significant amount of elevation travel--my 22 I need about 6.5mils (22moa-ish) to hit 200 yards, and about 12.5mils (about 43 moa) at 300. Also, dont overlook the parallax adjustment on whatever scope you choose should be able to focus down to typical .22-ranges of 20-25 yards or so--some centerfire scopes are iffy in this dept, and if you are trying to put bullets into the same hole at that range (or shoot a target like the nrl22 1/4" kyl rack) the parallax error can cause misses at this range.

Pick up a T1X and look at grabbing a clearance Credo if you can (or comparable budget-friendly reliable scope).

Do understand that ammo quality on 22LR can be all over the place. Be aware of that when training. Do not expect a lot of accuracy from a "bucket of bullets"; you'll likely need match grade ammo if you want consistent accuracy. That cost alone pushed to grab one in 17 HMR.

My T1X (17 HMR) is topped with an older Vortex Razor LH. It does get dialed a lot (50 shots per range visit). I primarily use mine for working on fundamentals, periodically on speed drills, trying out new shooting positions, and just general trying to figure something out.

OP
J

JohnB

WKR
Thanks for the tips everyone. There are certainly some aspects I had not thought of!

OP
J

JohnB

WKR
I'm still planning on buying a T1x but have to get some life junk in order over the next few weeks first

OP
J

JohnB

WKR
Alright, I've got one more question for folks. I just bought a SWFA 3-9 and am trying to figure out thoughts on scope mounting on the T1x I'm about to pull the trigger on. From my read the SWFA has 23 total mils of adjustment(81 moa). Assuming the scope is mounted dang near the center that will give me 11.5 mils of drop which would roughly shake out to get me out to 270 yards. Am I going to kick myself if I don't mount a 30 MOA rail from 419 or similar which would add enough to roughly get out to 400?

Thanks for the advice.

I’m going to run a 6x (40 mils) on my t1x with a area 419 30mm rail. I’d like to get to 500 yards plus with it. Just need the scope to come in. Looks like it Shipped Friday. You could even run the Burris signature with inserts for more adjustment.

Lawnboi

WKR
Alright, I've got one more question for folks. I just bought a SWFA 3-9 and am trying to figure out thoughts on scope mounting on the T1x I'm about to pull the trigger on. From my read the SWFA has 23 total mils of adjustment(81 moa). Assuming the scope is mounted dang near the center that will give me 11.5 mils of drop which would roughly shake out to get me out to 270 yards. Am I going to kick myself if I don't mount a 30 MOA rail from 419 or similar which would add enough to roughly get out to 400?

Thanks for the advice.
The 3-9 is a bad choice for a rimfire due to fixed parralax and the close distances you normally zero a 22lr.

bluumoon

WKR
I have a SWFA fixed 6 on my T1x, sportsmatch rings. No issues dialing to 300 yards plus. I zero at 50 yards.

Love mine. Buy a couple of extra mags to keep the fun going.

i shot a few small bore silhouette matches with mine this year. Great fun and great practice dialing and shooting offhand.

Having recently purchased a hard to find Left Handed T1X.....it's very valuable for general practice. I can step out my slider and have steel hung out to 149 yards. That's about 15 MOA on the dial. Practicing Off Hand and various positions is a great tune up. 20-30 shots a week at random intervals really keeps a working edge on skills.

Norma TAC 22 shoots whisper quiet suppressed and was pretty stellar in accuracy. Not the best, but it's very common and nearly 1/2" at 50 yards.

Reactions: XLR

bluumoon

WKR
How far is "plus"? I think that's what @JohnB is getting at. Also interested myself.
Just checked, I have 18.5 mil available to dial. Looks to be dropping about 0.7 every 10 yards at 300 with sv cci. I'm at 13.6mil at 300. So should be able to get around another 70 yards on the dial.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Having recently purchased a hard to find Left Handed T1X.....it's very valuable for general practice. I can step out my slider and have steel hung out to 149 yards. That's about 15 MOA on the dial. Practicing Off Hand and various positions is a great tune up. 20-30 shots a week at random intervals really keeps a working edge on skills.

Norma TAC 22 shoots whisper quiet suppressed and was pretty stellar in accuracy. Not the best, but it's very common and nearly 1/2" at 50 yards.

I’d like to put my 6x SWFA on my t1x but I’d need to buy a rail. I’m sort of tired of having a box full of rails and rings that don’t get used eventually and never get sold.

I see that eley and Norma ammo out there but I just can’t bring myself to buy it, especially the eley stuff, some of it is like 30.00/box of 50…..I’ve had good luck with cci subsonic and cci quiet. I had some stuff from browning that was like 1080fps that worked well too.

I did a hasty test with maybe 8 brands of ammo. I have a CZ 455 that shoots the Norma TAC 22 very well. So I have been stockpiling. Here in the Western US this same TAC 22 is everywhere. I bought a few bricks from Norma direct for maybe $52 and no hazmat???

CCI Green tag shot better....but is there a reason to spend $16 at .47" vs $5.20 and .62"......Nope. Not to burp shooting off hand standing, kneeling and from between the deck rails.