TIKKA Stainless - Phasing it out?

TaperPin

WKR
There have been demonstrations of a fluted vs non fluted bolt where a handful of dirt is placed on the ejection port and the bolt cycled - flutes give the grit someplace to go and the non fluted bolt binds up.

I don’t think it matters either way - in 45 years I’ve never had a noticeable amount of crud on the bolt.

atmat

WKR
There have been demonstrations of a fluted vs non fluted bolt where a handful of dirt is placed on the ejection port and the bolt cycled - flutes give the grit someplace to go and the non fluted bolt binds up.

I don’t think it matters either way - in 45 years I’ve never had a noticeable amount of crud on the bolt.
Would you mind linking them?

Every fluted bolt I’ve used has been more problematic than its non-fluted equivalent.

Either way, it’s probably fine. Just curious.

hunterjmj

WKR
I have ran a rifle with a fluted bolt for the last 10 years and never had an issue. Maybe in certain environments it could be an issue.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have ran a rifle with a fluted bolt for the last 10 years and never had an issue. Maybe in certain environments it could be an issue.
In general the weight savings from fluting a bolt does not outweigh the potential issues it can cause. If I handed you a rifle/scope with a fluted bolt and told you to carry it around with a blind fold on across a parking lot. Then I handed you the same rifle/scope with a regular bolt and told you to do the same thing, and then guess which was which, you would have no way of knowing other than feeling the bolt with your fingers.

atmat

WKR
I just called Karl Kampfeld who does damn good work; he said it's $100 for threading and $25 if you want a protector added.
Does this include cutting/shortening as well?

If so, then it’s right in line with my guy and probably on the cheaper end.