TIKKA Stainless - Phasing it out?

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
1) Barrel life is a concern on bolt action rifles for the folks I shoot with, myself included. Ruger and Savage should be at the bottom of your list on this specific requirement. It sounds like you plan to barely ever shoot it?

2) and 3) None of the rifles you mentioned are a direct comparison or replacement for a Tikka. Having a Tikka barrel cut and threaded costs around $80 all in after shipping. The field requirements I mentioned above are not met by Savage, Howa, Ruger, or Weatherby. None of those brands make a rifle that lasts, maintains accuracy long term, and remains reliable in real world hunting/shooting applications (dust, mud, rain, dirt, snow, ice, etc). They make for acceptable rifles for folks who take them out of a safe a couple or handful of times per year and almost never shoot them.
Where are you sending your Tikka to for an $80 cut and thread job and how are you shipping it. I’m not being sarcastic. And $80 cut and thread job may speed up a few rifle purchases I’m considering.

Where are you sending your Tikka to for an $80 cut and thread job and how are you shipping it. I’m not being sarcastic. And $80 cut and thread job may speed up a few rifle purchases I’m considering.
That's what I paid locally in E. Oregon. No shipping involved though.

Think I paid closer to $120 in Seattle a couple years ago for another Tikka.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Ship to a smith in Mesa, AZ with a return label is $20. $60 for the hours work. What quotes/prices have you seen?

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
Ship to a smith in Mesa, AZ with a return label is $20. $60 for the hours work. What quotes/prices have you seen?
Silencer Central I know is $230 for chop/thread/shipping. Just had a buddy get his back and they did a great job. He also had a local gunsmith thread another barrel I believe for over $300 and he wasn’t happy with that work. I’m searching around right now for best pricing.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Silencer Central I know is $230 for chop/thread/shipping. Just had a buddy get his back and they did a great job. He also had a local gunsmith thread another barrel I believe for over $300 and he wasn’t happy with that work. I’m searching around right now for best pricing.
Those two prices, for chop and thread, are insane to me.

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not 100% sure about the LGS work, if it entailed anything else but I’m thinking the same.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Where are you getting shipping for so cheap?
I've shipped several barreled actions and its always around $45 not including the packaging.

Using ship station or pirate ship.

Are you using a commercial account thru work?
I only ship the barrel in most cases. Creating the labels through my business yes.

1. Yes. Some of the models are blued.

2. So you’re looking at all major retailers across the globe? Interesting.

Tikkas were originally brought over to the US as a budget line from Sako. A blued Tikka barrel is still a Sako barrel and will last longer than the vast majority of shooters will own it.

I have a blued .308 Tikka barrel and action that is somewhere around 8,500 rounds through it maybe a bit more actually. It’s been cleaned once and didn't need it. There is nothing wrong with a blued Tikka rifle or barrel.

I've owned the base $750 T3X Lite models with the blued barrels and I prefer them over stainless

WKR

Those two prices, for chop and thread, are insane to me.
I think you guys are talking about different things, one is including barrel r&r.