TIKKA Stainless - Phasing it out?

Unckebob

WKR
I ordered a 223 T3x Lite with a stainless action and barrel today. While I was looking for what I wanted, it appeared to me that Tikka was rapidly switching to blued everything with cerakote used for fancier models.

Why did I buy the Tikka?
- 223 is a cheap way to practice with a lot of rounds going down range. 280AI and 6.8W are not cheap to shoot.
- I don't really like ARs.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
The “blued” rough techs are stainless actions and barrels with some sort of coating applied over the top.
They still have stainless lite and superlites
What made you think they are phasing them out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
U

Unckebob

WKR
The “blued” rough techs are stainless actions and barrels with some sort of coating applied over the top.
They still have stainless lite and superlites
What made you think they are phasing them out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) When I called Tikka about my Roughtech Lite, I was told that the barrel was not stainless.

2) If you look at what is in stock at major retailers, the Blued Lite versions seem more plentiful.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
1) When I called Tikka about my Roughtech Lite, I was told that the barrel was not stainless.

2) If you look at what is in stock at major retailers, the Blued Lite versions seem more plentiful.
1. Yes. Some of the models are blued.

2. So you’re looking at all major retailers across the globe? Interesting.

Tikkas were originally brought over to the US as a budget line from Sako. A blued Tikka barrel is still a Sako barrel and will last longer than the vast majority of shooters will own it.

I have a blued .308 Tikka barrel and action that is somewhere around 8,500 rounds through it maybe a bit more actually. It’s been cleaned once and didn't need it. There is nothing wrong with a blued Tikka rifle or barrel.

OP
U

Unckebob

WKR
1. Yes. Some of the models are blued.

2. So you’re looking at all major retailers across the globe? Interesting.

Tikkas were originally brought over to the US as a budget line from Sako. A blued Tikka barrel is still a Sako barrel and will last longer than the vast majority of shooters will own it.

I have a blued .308 Tikka barrel and action that is somewhere around 8,500 rounds through it maybe a bit more actually. It’s been cleaned once and didn't need it. There is nothing wrong with a blued Tikka rifle or barrel.

1) I agree that a blued barrel is not the end of the world. There is nothing wrong with my Roughtech.

2) At current pricing, I think the value is not there for the basic, blued versions which do not come with a threaded barrel.

I eventually tracked down what I wanted at Europtic, but it wasn't like I could go to Bass Pro or other common online sources. Most places only offered the blued version or more expensive versions.

They come in waves. I bookmarked this search and for a while there were only a few results. Then one day 30+ vendors had stainless .223's in stock. Seems to be dropping back down again. Not necessarily an indication that Tikka is going to stop production of the basic stainless models...

1727712154359.png

What's retail, $150 cheaper for basic blued lite vs stainless lite? Basic Tikka lite rifles are price point guns and the big box stores probably sell more of the cheaper versions thus they likely have more of them. At least that would be my guess.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
2) At current pricing, I think the value is not there for the basic, blued versions which do not come with a threaded barrel.
At current pricing, name a rifle that is more reliable, consistently accurate with most factory ammo, and has a barrel that lasts way past normal chambering life expectancy please.

Should be able to get some blued lite models for less than $700 these days no? plus $75 rebate.. Last i looked online i was flirting with new 223 compact models for around $600 with the rebate.

The lite models ARE the value. Roughtech or whatever models with fluted barrel, fluted bolt, threads, and some paint on the same stock for $500 more, not so much.

gtriple

WKR
Should be able to get some blued lite models for less than $700 these days no? plus $75 rebate.. Last i looked online i was flirting with new 223 compact models for around $600 with the rebate.

The lite models ARE the value. Roughtech or whatever models with fluted barrel, fluted bolt, threads, and some paint on the same stock for $500 more, not so much.
I bought my blued 223 for $470. Just got dang lucky on a fire-sale.

I can't understand why anyone would pay more money for the cerakoted versions. Especially since Tikka has had some issues with the cerakote application.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I bought my blued 223 for $470. Just got dang lucky on a fire-sale.

I can't understand why anyone would pay more money for the cerakoted versions. Especially since Tikka has had some issues with the cerakote application.
Because the "fancy" Tikka versions are given away by the thousands in auctions and banquets and then sold to local gun stores. I've found 4 "fancy" Tikka variants across Wyoming and Arizona and bought brand new "used" guns for the same price as a stainless or blued.

How many cerakoted models do you own and what field issues have you seen? I've asked this on both youtube and here on Rokslide and have had zero response from @Mountain Tactical Company You are stating this as fact because of a youtube video with ZERO proven actual field issues. I own 3 cerakoted models with thousands of rounds each, zero issues. My 4th just got put together and is going out to the field tomorrow.

While I would prefer a regular blued or stainless model personally, bashing the "high end" models and claiming they have issues is nonsense.

gtriple

WKR
Because the "fancy" Tikka versions are given away by the thousands in auctions and banquets and then sold to local gun stores. I've found 4 "fancy" Tikka variants across Wyoming and Arizona and bought brand new "used" guns for the same price as a stainless or blued.

How many cerakoted models do you own and what field issues have you seen? I've asked this on both youtube and here on Rokslide and have had zero response from @Mountain Tactical Company You are stating this as fact because of a youtube video with ZERO proven actual field issues. I own 3 cerakoted models with thousands of rounds each, zero issues. My 4th just got put together and is going out to the field tomorrow.

While I would prefer a regular blued or stainless model personally, bashing the "high end" models and claiming they have issues is nonsense.
Chill bro. I've owned several dozen Tikkas. I'm not bashing them. Just like MTC wasn't bashing them. We just expect higher quality from a brand we love.

Do you think your sample size of 3 means that the problems don't exist?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Chill bro. I've owned several dozen Tikkas. I'm not bashing them. Just like MTC wasn't bashing them. We just expect higher quality from a brand we love.

Do you think your sample size of 3 means that the problems don't exist?
There is no hostility from my side at all, just passing along real world information. Not sure how much more chill I can be than sitting in my office sitting under an AC unit and drinking iced tea haha.

What is the "problem"? Nobody can seem to state an actual field issue is what I am getting at. There is zero field validation to this claim that I have seen. Would love to see it.