Tikka Roughtech Ember Vs Sako S20

gmonson93

FNG
I’m looking at getting a new hunting rifle in 300 Win Mag and am deciding between a Tikka Roughtech Ember or the Sako S20. I was set on the Tikka but a friend told me about the Sako and I could get either for around the same price. Does anyone have experience with either they would share.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Have experience with both. Both are great rifles. Those sako’s are sexy though! Not my most expensive but probably my nicest built rifle I have owned. I sold my sako almost regrettably since it was a caliber I didn’t have a ton of use for and sako’s have a lot less after market product / support, not that they need them. The tikka is great still have it, it’s a tikka solid, boringly accurate, etc. kept it since I favor/ have loads of ammo for that caliber and it will be easy to build off of/ swap a barrel and bolt face on some day

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 300win in the ember and love it. Very impressive accuracy for a factory rifle.

OP
G

gmonson93

FNG

Have experience with both. Both are great rifles. Those sako’s are sexy though! Not my most expensive but probably my nicest built rifle I have owned. I sold my sako almost regrettably since it was a caliber I didn’t have a ton of use for and sako’s have a lot less after market product / support, not that they need them. The tikka is great still have it, it’s a tikka solid, boringly accurate, etc. kept it since I favor/ have loads of ammo for that caliber and it will be easy to build off of/ swap a barrel and bolt face on some day
What did you like about the Sako more than the Tikka? How accurate was is your Tikka?

OP
G

gmonson93

FNG
I have a 300win in the ember and love it. Very impressive accuracy for a factory rifle.
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it? Do you use it for hunting? How is the recoil? Do you have a break or suppressor?

Hnthrdr

WKR
What did you like about the Sako more than the Tikka? How accurate was is your Tikka?
Never got around to shooting the sako, have never heard of anyone complaining about their accuracy though, my tikka was shooting right under an inch with factory 150 sst’s

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
I have an Ember in 6.5 Creed and S20 in 6.5 PRC.

I'll never own another 300 Win Mag because those don't kill any better than my 6.5's and kick your teeth in. And you won't shoot them as well... But I digress.

For heavier recoil the Sako should shoot better out of the box. Customizable ergos and heavier. The action on the Sako is a bit nicer allowing for cartridge extraction without taking off safety.

For the type of brush busting and mobile hiking/hunting I do I prefer light weight, but even my modified ember stock doesn't match the ergos.

Treestand hunting? Sako.

OP
G

gmonson93

FNG
I have an Ember in 6.5 Creed and S20 in 6.5 PRC.

I'll never own another 300 Win Mag because those don't kill any better than my 6.5's and kick your teeth in. And you won't shoot them as well... But I digress.

For heavier recoil the Sako should shoot better out of the box. Customizable ergos and heavier. The action on the Sako is a bit nicer allowing for cartridge extraction without taking off safety.

For the type of brush busting and mobile hiking/hunting I do I prefer light weight, but even my modified ember stock doesn't match the ergos.

Treestand hunting? Sako.
I totally get the recoil that’s why my go to is a .308. Just looking at trying something different and something that can go out a bit farther.

I currently hunt elk with an AR 10 in .308 so I’m not too worried about weight. I plan on putting a suppressor/break on the 300 win mag to help with recoil.

The Sako is the same price and only a pound heavier than the Tikka. It sounds like you prefer the Sako then if weight isn’t an issue?

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
I totally get the recoil that’s why my go to is a .308. Just looking at trying something different and something that can go out a bit farther.

I currently hunt elk with an AR 10 in .308 so I’m not too worried about weight. I plan on putting a suppressor/break on the 300 win mag to help with recoil.

The Sako is the same price and only a pound heavier than the Tikka. It sounds like you prefer the Sako then if weight isn’t an issue?

Out of the box, weight not an issue? Sako.

Semi custom with aftermarket stock? Tikka but only because Sako S20 don't have aftermarket lightweight stock options.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it? Do you use it for hunting? How is the recoil? Do you have a break or suppressor?
Accuracy is easily sub 3/4 inch. Yes, it's my go to elk and deer rifle. I shortened the barrel to 22 1/2 and I use a suppressor. The recoil is actually what I would consider fairly tame, but everyone is different. I've never owned a Sako, but I'm sure they are outstanding rifles. I attached a few targets from when I was playing with loads and sighting the gun in.4.jpgtar.jpgt.jpg

OP
G

gmonson93

FNG
Accuracy is easily sub 3/4 inch. Yes, it's my go to elk and deer rifle. I shortened the barrel to 22 1/2 and I use a suppressor. The recoil is actually what I would consider fairly tame, but everyone is different. I've never owned a Sako, but I'm sure they are outstanding rifles. I attached a few targets from when I was playing with loads and sighting the gun in.View attachment 726587View attachment 726588View attachment 726589
That’s pretty impressive accuracy. That is nice that you can swap stuff out easily with the Tikka.