Tikka or S20 6.5prc

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Well I was set to order a s20 in 6.5prc from europtic since tikka wouldn’t import a standard t3 lite in 6.5prc and decided to take one more cruise around the website and euro is now taking backorders on stainless lites! Which now has me torn on what to do. The s20 is heavy but turnkey ready at 999. The tikka will likely cost more than that once it’s threaded and minor stock upgrades but lighter and more options. Also no eta on tikka just backorder taken. Which route should I go?

This probably won't help you that much ( :) ) but, here are my thoughts.

The S20 is a solid platform, especially at the price point that europtic is selling them at. However, the barrel lengths are long for use with a can, which is seems you will be using based on your comment about threading the Tikka. A lot of the other major components (barrel, action, trigger) are compariable, or even the same (barrel) as the Tikka.

That being said, I think that the Tikka will leave you with a better platform to eventually get what you want out of the rifle. However, who knows when they will actually start shipping. It seems that Tikka does a better job at getting new products to shelves than others (I am looking at you Ruger, who promised a .22 ARC in the American G2 in 1Q and it is now June), there is still no guarantee. If this is something that you want to hunt with this fall, then the S20 is probably your better bet. You could get it, and then when the Tikkas finally do show up, sell and buy the Tikka. If it is just something you want in the stable, then maybe wait for the Tikka.

smithjd

FNG
I have a couple T3x that I've done the upgrading on. They are great and the aftermarket is strong for customization. But I jumped on the S20 (with precision stocks) from Eurooptic at that price. It's turnkey and a laser. With a properly mounted quality scope, it is the easy button.

What is it for? If weight is the biggest priority, then the T3x lite is probably the way. The S20 would make a fine rifle for NRL Factory division and any hunting that doesn't involve carrying it for many miles over several days.

You won't go wrong either way.

JGRaider

WKR
Love my Tikkas, but very few rifles of any maker will be more accurate or well made than that S20. Glad I "stole" one of the PRC's from Europtic.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
The rifle will be for hunting and most likely will become my primary rifle as I had a pile of fights with my current one this last year. Sounds like the tikkas are 30-60 days out. If the sako was 1/2-1lb lighter I think that would be the easy button. I do intend to run a suppressor so the 24' s20 would get cut down at some point and rethreaded which negates that feature.

Im thinking I see the tikka with a bradley cheek riser and 3-12 lrhs in my future.

Jfujan

FNG
The rifle will be for hunting and most likely will become my primary rifle as I had a pile of fights with my current one this last year. Sounds like the tikkas are 30-60 days out. If the sako was 1/2-1lb lighter I think that would be the easy button. I do intend to run a suppressor so the 24' s20 would get cut down at some point and rethreaded which negates that feature.

Im thinking I see the tikka with a bradley cheek riser and 3-12 lrhs in my future.
I've also been wanting a basic lite stainless 6.5 prc but found out they're not in the states. I want stainless, but I don't want to spend $1450-$1500 on a higher end model when they're heavier and significantly more expensive (Roughtech is blued and $1100).

Did EuroOptic tell you 30-60 days or who was that from? I called them and they told me 60-90. Called Beretta and they couldn't give a direct answer to when other dealers may have them in hand.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Well EuroOptic got the t3x lite in stock finally so I caved and ordered one! Also got a set of Sportsmatch rings ordered so just gotta decide which scope to put on it. Theres a swfa 3-9, lrhs 3-12 or nightforce 2.5-10 to pick from. It’s been a few years since I’ve owned a tikka. The first was a walnut blued 243 I wasn’t overly impressed with. I decided to try the koolaid and give them another shot. Once it gets here it’ll be taking a trip to the smith for cut and thread for suppressor as well. Thinking 22” to try maximizing the prc while still being semi handy with my small griffin can.