Tikka muzzle break questions

2-Stix

WKR
Hi Folks,
I have a Tikka Veil 7mmRemMag that shoots .75 groups. I can't remember if I sighted it with or with out the factory break or not.

I have 3 questions...

1. will my point of aim change with the break on or off?
2. will adding the break change the barrel harmonics to where it might prefer a different gain bullet? (I had my .308 cerakoted and it not longer grouped 150gr had to move to 165gr)
3. is the factory Tikka break any good? A guess on the amount of felt recoil reduction?

Thanks,
Josh

***Eddit - Some of the reason I asked this also is because I had a Tikka lightweight stainless barrel cerakoted at it changed the barrel harmonics enough that I went from 1/2" groups with 150gr to 1.5" and when I bumped up to 165gr I was back to 1/2" groups.

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. Possibly
3. I switched my tikka brake for a tuner brake but I can’t say I noticed much difference in recoil. I’d suggest shooting groups with and without the brake and see which way groups best. Unless you just don’t want the brake on for some reason, I’d leave it on and find a bullet that groups well with the brake on. Won’t necessarily be a different weight bullet. Speed, bullet design and weight will all be factors that can affect group size.

svivian

WKR
Hi Folks,
I have a Tikka Veil 7mmRemMag that shoots .75 groups. I can't remember if I sighted it with or with out the factory break or not.

I have 3 questions...

1. will my point of aim change with the break on or off?
2. will adding the break change the barrel harmonics to where it might prefer a different gain bullet? (I had my .308 cerakoted and it not longer grouped 150gr had to move to 165gr)
3. is the factory Tikka break any good? A guess on the amount of felt recoil reduction?

Thanks,
Josh
Radial muzzle brakes kick up a ton of dirt at you if you are shooting prone.

Yes it will slightly change your poi.

I doubt it will change anything enough to cause you to loose any accuracy with whatever bullet you’re already shooting. I’ve never had a brake cause that issue.

Yes, the tikka brake is fine. Some prefer a side ported brake over radial If you shoot off a bipod to keep debris from blowing up in front of you.

sdupontjr

WKR
I didn't notice any point of shift with my 7mag when I had the MBM super baby beast installed. Helps with muzzle jump as well.

No accuracy issues with factory ammo, however I'm looking, like everyone else for some mag primers so i can work up a load for it.

As far as factory tikka brake, not sure, I had this one threaded for the MBM brake.

So gave something a try for those that like the look of Tikka muzzle break and since it matches finish on my Veil Widelands. I indexed the break so that bottom 2 rows of holes were equally pointed downward. Use shim kit available or make one. This one is copper. So one row slightly off to one side as the other. Tapped with 1/4-28 tap. Short grub/socket screws threaded in nicely without protruding inside. The barrel side of break has angled holes which were slightly more challenging to tap but the grub screws had to be shorter to be flush on i.d. of break. This was a problem as grub screws are allen wrench driven so when shortening I'd get into bottom of allen hole resulting in a smaller hole for blast. Not what I wanted so cut down some bolts of same thread to size needed, cut a flat slot in one end and installed the 4. All had blue thread locker on them but may become red. Sure I could have bought any one of 20 other breaks but what did I have to loose giving this a try and keep all matching. For the bolts I had to cut down, my lathe was used but a person could do it other ways if no lathe. There probably are slot headed short bolt/screws that are available maybe even at a hardware store so maybe check there or specialty place if doing this. Will be shooting rifle this coming week to see how it behaves with this and one not modified. See pic20230204_123404.jpg

Not meaning to hijack the thread but how much louder will a "braked" rifle shoot, say 7RM, 30-06, 300 WM calibers?

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
Some of the reason I asked this also is because I had a Tikka lightweight stainless barrel cerakoted at it changed the barrel harmonics enough that I went from 1/2 groups with 150gr to 1.5 and when I bumped up to 165gr I was back to 1/2 groups.