Tikka/Mesa Precision Bedding Fail ....Opinions

OP
ctfxd3

ctfxd3

Lil-Rokslider
Update: Spoke to the smith this afternoon to let him know the situation. Somewhat to my surprise we both kept it cool, zero confrontation on the phone and he offered to send me a check for what I have into the stock. While I am not pleased with how this all turned I do have a lot of respect for a guy who can admit fault and offer resolution without unnecessary confrontation. Still unfortunate he let it leave his shop the way it did, as this could have all been easily avoided.

OP
ctfxd3

ctfxd3

Lil-Rokslider
Following up on this I have to tip my hat to Mesa Precision. I ended up sending the complete rifle into them and they have been exceptional to deal with. They offered to cut me a new stock and properly bed it at no additional cost and then shipped everything back to me on their dime. Their turn around time was way quicker than I anticipated, and every interaction I had with them I was treated like I had been a lifetime customer. It's nice to see some companies still have genuine American values.

OP
ctfxd3

ctfxd3

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this back from the dead. Had some down time and decided to give salvaging the stock a shot. I was able to dig out the recoil lug but it left a crater of a void in the recoil lug slot. My plan was to use a mountain tactical lug but due to the depth of the lug slot I'm not sure the lug would sit up high enough to make proper contact. The original mesa lug is a little marred up on the flat sides from digging it out, but the edges are clean. It sits higher in the slot and looks like it will give me proper contact if I try to salvage it. Looking for opinions from guys who have experience bedding tikkas on whether or not this looks salvagable to try re-bedding. I am planning to use the same method alterra posted on their youtube channel but a little concerned with getting the lug to sit evenly due to the size of the void. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• lug out 3.jpg
    lug out 3.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 29
  • Lug out 2.jpg
    Lug out 2.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Lug out1.jpg
    Lug out1.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 29

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Bringing this back from the dead. Had some down time and decided to give salvaging the stock a shot. I was able to dig out the recoil lug but it left a crater of a void in the recoil lug slot. My plan was to use a mountain tactical lug but due to the depth of the lug slot I'm not sure the lug would sit up high enough to make proper contact. The original mesa lug is a little marred up on the flat sides from digging it out, but the edges are clean. It sits higher in the slot and looks like it will give me proper contact if I try to salvage it. Looking for opinions from guys who have experience bedding tikkas on whether or not this looks salvagable to try re-bedding. I am planning to use the same method alterra posted on their youtube channel but a little concerned with getting the lug to sit evenly due to the size of the void. Any input is appreciated.

A dot of super glue on the lug to keep it in the action lug recess will position it correctly.

SDHNTR

WKR
Good resolution. Glad all parties kept it cool and the culpable one owned the screw up.

Yes, that stock is salvageable. Buy a new lug, they’re cheap enough. Glue the lug into the receiver with just a drop of superglue. Release agent the piss out of the action and the lug. Goop up the stock with mud and send her home. Once cured, the superglue will break loose of the receiver when you pop it out and will remain properly glued into the stock .