Tikka fast twist 243

OP
C
That is generally true because of the long throating but the fast twist 223 and 243 have very short throats

Edited to add, that info about the 243 was what I have found on the internet, it certainly isn’t true for mine

I have just got the 243 and the throat is anything but short IMG_3774.jpeg

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
That is generally true because of the long throating but the fast twist 223 and 243 have very short throats
Even with hand loads, Tikka barrels are slow. I can take a 24" kreiger or hawkhill, VS a 24.3" ctr and load 41gr H4350 with a 140hyb. The custom barrel were 90-100fps faster. Saami freebore is 0.198, tikkas are around 0.250, 50k of jump in my experience is worth 20fps, not near 100. I believe it has to do with land/groove width config and hammer forged VS cut rifling. I have developed load data on near a dozen tikkas, they have slow barrels. Accurate, but slow.

khuber84

WKR
Ran out of unicorns to make it out of.
They still making it, the problem is there is an import license that expired by the US importer and it needs get re-upped. Scheels in Billings MT just got a larger shipment of Alliant, unfortunately no RL26 or 23. Just 15,17,22,25. Any Alliant powders that are showing up, are previous allocation prior to license issues. It's been stateside for some time, just finally being distributed.

Last edited:
Even with hand loads, Tikka barrels are slow. I can take a 24" kreiger or hawkhill, VS a 24.3" ctr and load 41gr H4350 with a 140hyb. The custom barrel were 90-100fps faster. Saami freebore is 0.198, tikkas are around 0.250, 50k of jump in my experience is worth 20fps, not near 100. I believe it has to do with land/groove width config and hammer forged VS cut rifling. I have developed load data on near a dozen tikkas, they have slow barrels. Accurate, but slow.

I'm not saying tikka barrels are/aren't slower just that the same load going slower isn't an absolute indicator of velocities a handloader can get at a fixed pressure. They might just take more powder to build pressure/velocity.

Freebore and jump are related but different. More freebore = lower pressure. There is more volume behind the bullet when it hits resistance from the lands than it would with a shorter freebore thus it has a lower pressure and lower velocity. Assume you know this, just felt like posting it:)

Also, I always wondered if people who said "tikkas have long throats" from their creedmoor were just not used to cartridges with healthy freebore like is saami spec'd on creedmoors or if they were actually longer than SAAMI spec. Throats definitely aren't long on 223s.

CBB1

WKR
That is wild. I get 3030 from 47.0 H1000 behind a 106 TAP from my .243AI with 19" barrel.

For what it’s worth I’m using a Caldwell chronograph so who knows how accurate that number really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kad11

WKR
Kinport Peak Rifles or Kamfeld Customs in Idaho, Manzella Precision in Montana. I have hand uni-throaters from PTG, 22 6 65 7 and 30 cal. I can do all my own, but they are not as clean as if done on a lathe.

When you call, just tell them you're looking to have your 243 throated. Send a dummy round with the desired bullet seated where you want it touching the lands, the smith can make your chamber fit that.
How difficult is it to add a little bit of freebore by hand? I'm going to check with the local gunsmiths in the Billings area while waiting to hear back from Manzella. Thanks again 👍

khuber84

WKR
How difficult is it to add a little bit of freebore by hand? I'm going to check with the local gunsmiths in the Billings area while waiting to hear back from Manzella. Thanks again 👍
I have a 6mm throater, and it's not that hard. But most throater are a lil slim on diameter, especially if renting one. I prefer a 244-2445 freebore diameter, gives a lil room for carbon buildup before problems can occur. Most throaters are 2435.