tikka ctr to aics bottom metal

Macintosh

WKR
Interested in this, I like the ctr mags but would be nice to have a flush or nearly-flush legal option for states with a mag capacity limit for hunting. Is it something a relatively handy guy can do themselves, and will it work with any aics pattern mag (brand, metal vs polymer, etc)?

mdt and magpul polymer magazines will fit in the CTR bottom metal with some trimming on the mag. I haven't got around to trying the modifying the ctr bottom metal to better accommodate the aics metal mags

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
mdt and magpul polymer magazines will fit in the CTR bottom metal with some trimming on the mag. I haven't got around to trying the modifying the ctr bottom metal to better accommodate the aics metal mags
interesting....could you send a pic of what it takes to do those modifications? Is it a couple minutes with a file?
I really like the CTR mags, have a couple and would hate to lose the ability to use them with a new stock that only ran with aics. The option of running both sounds great.

interesting....could you send a pic of what it takes to do those modifications? Is it a couple minutes with a file?
I really like the CTR mags, have a couple and would hate to lose the ability to use them with a new stock that only ran with aics. The option of running both sounds great.
A few minutes with a file. The MDT poly and magpul magazines can be forced into the ctr magwell unmodified and you'll see the areas that need to be trimmed. There is a youtube video or two with people demonstrating it works with the MDT poly magazine.

Shooter71s modification looks as though it allows metal AICS magazines to work since there should be a relief cut for the locking lug on the magazine to engage. The way AICS and ctr magazines are retained are the opposite if that makes any sense.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
I sent the following to another member in a PM, but it might help others looking to run aics in the factory CTR bottom metal.

The modification is a simple one. the mill cut is to allow room for the pressed catch on the AI mags. if you get the depth correct it also helps keep the mag from going up into the bolt raceway. The other detail is removing the small lip on the back of the latch, to allow greater travel. I’ve only used AI and Accurate mags, not sure about the functionality of others’.