Tikka 300 Win - Should I chop and suppress?

I’ve got a T3x lite stainless in 300 win that shoots very very well, but because of the recoil (unbraked, 7.5 lbs) I don’t exactly shoot it for fun. It’s killed a bunch of animals but I don’t really practice with it, which bothers me. I practice with my creedmoors, because they’re fun.
I’m thinking about chopping the barrel to 18”, where I will have the .662 barrel diameter to meet TBAC’s requirement for threading 9/16th. I’d like to get an Ultra 7 (joining the club) and run that for the noise and a bit of help bringing the recoil down. Yeah yeah, I don’t want to hear about efficiency and how it’s basically a 308. In what world would an 18” 308 ever outrun an 18” 300 win mag? This isn’t about efficient. It’s about slanging 200s out of a supressed magnum.
Anyone done this? Am I crazy?

Last edited:

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Have a suppressor on my Tikka .300 WM. Went from being not much fun to shoot to very nice. It’s a long sucker though with the 24” barrel. Curious to see other opinions on chopping it down.

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering almost the same thing. Hadn't thought of the diameter issue, I was going to try 20, but then realized I'd still have to use an adapter which would add some length. I say do it!!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Go for it! Might as well have your smith throat it out a little to if you want to run 200+ bullets. 205 bergers at 2750-2800 will be awesome! I run a 20” 30SM suppressed.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had that gun. I’ll do one better. Rather spending the 125 dollars to chop and thread the barrel, put it toward a new barrel! That 300wm is brutal to shoot and I’d be surprised if a suppressor made it “fun” to shoot and those pencil barrels don’t make the best suppressed barrels according to TBAC due to the lack of “meat” on the end. They work, Just not as well.

Last edited:
OP
MTMeatHunter
I can’t believe no one has said something like “might as well just shoot a 308, it’ll get a full powder burn blah blah”. Love the support! A local shop is supposed to have Ultra 7s on the shelf this month, and the eform wait time thread is awfully encouraging….

OP
MTMeatHunter
I had that gun. I’ll do one better. Rather spending the 125 dollars to chop and thread the barrel, put it toward a new barrel! That 300wm is brutal to shoot and I’d be surprised if a suppressor made it “fun” to shoot and those pencil barrels don’t make the best suppressed barrels according to TBAC due to the lack of “meat” on the end. They work, Just not as well.
Believe me, that’s crossed my mind as well. It’s an option. But my thought is to invest in the suppressor as the first step. Then a chop and thread of the existing tikka is easy/ cheap to try out first. If it doesn’t work out, I can always get a new barrel from there. Probably in 7SAUM so that I have the ultimate Slide gun. 7SAUM Tikka with an Ultra 7 and my Nightforce. Three cups of the koolaid, please!

Ucsdryder

WKR
Believe me, that’s crossed my mind as well. It’s an option. But my thought is to invest in the suppressor as the first step. Then a chop and thread of the existing tikka is easy/ cheap to try out first. If it doesn’t work out, I can always get a new barrel from there. Probably in 7SAUM so that I have the ultimate Slide gun. 7SAUM Tikka with an Ultra 7 and my Nightforce. Three cups of the koolaid, please!
Ah you are following in my footsteps. I have a 20” 7saum with a Dominus. Put it in an AG composites and you won’t believe what an incredible rifle youve built.

I actually want to do this, but with a left hand Tikka T3X Lite or Lite Stainless chambered in .300 WSM. But with multiple people on the two main forums that I belong to and our supply chain crisis I cannot find one online anywhere. I have scrolled down through multiple pages on Google and clicked on tons of sites. All out of stock or want $1200-$1500 for a sub $900 rifle.
I may have to wait or just buy a piece here and there and build one.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Grab a Gun has them in stock, or did a couple of days ago. Tikka LH TX3 lite, stainless 300 WM for $818.00. Got mine last week. Going to the smith next week to thread and cut to 20”. Hopefully the Nomad TI will get out of jail soon.
Still arguing with myself wether to cut to 20 or 18 inches.

Grab a Gun has them in stock, or did a couple of days ago. Tikka LH TX3 lite, stainless 300 WM for $818.00. Got mine last week. Going to the smith next week to thread and cut to 20”. Hopefully the Nomad TI will get out of jail soon.
Still arguing with myself wether to cut to 20 or 18 inches.
They do have a variety of Tikka in different cartridges in stock, but for me I want a left hand 300 WSM and those have been out of stock for a while. I did however sign up to be notified when back in stock. For some reason it says stainless, but the picture shows blued barrel and stainless bolt knob?

I can’t believe no one has said something like “might as well just shoot a 308, it’ll get a full powder burn blah blah”. Love the support! A local shop is supposed to have Ultra 7s on the shelf this month, and the eform wait time thread is awfully encouraging….
Yeah even a year ago you'd have gotten a bunch of snarky remarks about just going with a 308 or 7mm-08.
People are finally learning that magnums in short barrels are awesome for suppressed hunting.

My only suggestion would be to give the guys at silencer shop a call and talk with them about the Nomad LT suppressor.
With a short barreled 300 magnum it's going to do a much better job with suppression and recoil reduction than an ultra 7, and it's only 1.5" longer.

I currently run a 9" Banish 30 on my 30 Nosler, and it's very noticeable how much quieter and softer it shoots compared to the ultra 7.
I'm a year into my wait for the Nomad LT, you'll probably get yours before I do...

Hnthrdr

WKR
Along the same line, I have an older Cooper 52 in 300wm, torn between selling it and starting fresh or chopping it to 20/22 and throwing the nomad TI that is in suppressor jail on it

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Do it! Tikka t3 stainless chopped to 20 with sico omega. Nice to carry and shoot now. I agree an unbraked 300 win tikka was not so pleasant to shoot.
fb78c5080040a6b700e7e16b3d52f8c4.jpg

OP
MTMeatHunter
Do it! Tikka t3 stainless chopped to 20 with sico omega. Nice to carry and shoot now. I agree an unbraked 300 win tikka was not so pleasant to shoot.
fb78c5080040a6b700e7e16b3d52f8c4.jpg

Nice! How is the recoil now? I got busy with a different rifle but am still thinking on this with my 300WM

My sub 8lb Tikka T3x Superlite .30-06 with 178 grain ELD-X is a real thumper even with a Limbsaver recoil pad. I will shoot it at the range but it’s not a gun I intend to shoot high volume. It’s a dream to carry in the woods and handle in box blinds though.

Maybe just keep shooting the lighter calibers at range and verify zero with the 300 win mag and keep it as is exclusively for hunting.