Tikka .280AI Build and load development

flanman85

FNG
So I built a .280 AI off a Tikka .270 I had sitting around. It was a little under a year in the works due to "Covid" delays. We had a custom ground reamer made which we changed the lead angle a bit. We also ditched the tikka recoil lug and installed the LRI tombstone recoil lug, a proof 1:8 barrel, a Altitude carbon stock, and its topped with a Leupold VX-5HD. A few other things here and there. Weight with loaded mag comes in at 8lbs 8 ounces. So a bit on the chunky side for a light rifle but still within my range of acceptable.
Im working on some load work ups currently. Let me know if anyone is interested in the process or my findings. I am using a Lab radar, shooting off of an F class style rest and using a Saterlee method which I have found to work fairly well.
I'm currently working up the 162 ELDX because they are readily available for powder testing.

Attachments

• Tikka .280AI.jpg
    Tikka .280AI.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 131
OP
flanman85

flanman85

FNG
All the machining work was done by Steven Clake at Denali Arms LLC in Wasilla. Guy is extremely passionate about his work. And as the saying goes cheap work isn't good and good work isn't cheap!

mcr-85

WKR
Nice looking rifle. I have been tempted to build a .280ai but haven't scratched that itch yet. Maybe someday soon.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
Nice build. I have one very similar but fluted Bartlein and Zeiss V4. Shooting the 162 ELD-M and so far very happy with terminal performance if you're a behind the shoulder shooter.

OP
flanman85

flanman85

FNG
OK as of 3-22-23 Here is where I am at with playing with powder for the 280AI. The graph chart should label the temps at time of testing. Barrel was cooled between 5 shot strings. Didn't care about groups at all just looking for a powder that's going to give me 2900-2950 with a 162ELDX. I am currently using them as they are readily available. I have two boxes of 150TTSX, 168 LRX, and 180 Bergers but I am currently just sorting out a general powder. All velocity was measured with a Lab Radar and verified with a Magneto Speed.
Granted please don't rely on my notes as any starting point because this is a one off build and it used a custom ground reamer to change the throat diameter. Also it would be stupid to just assume this will work with your rifle.
Also the .190 jump is caused by the ELDX unique shape and my box mag limits. I will play with this later as I develop my load further.

Attachments

• .280AI 162 ELDX powder velocity chart.pdf
    515.3 KB · Views: 44
  • .280AI Powder Chart 162ELDX.pdf
    423.4 KB · Views: 18

Harvey_NW

WKR
OK as of 3-22-23 Here is where I am at with playing with powder for the 280AI.
Man StaBall looks like it's pretty consistent, that's interesting. I'm jumping a country mile in my 280 also due to mag limits, but I don't care. I'm loading H4831 and it doesn't provide stellar velocity but it's extremely consistent. Looking forward to seeing more results.

OP
flanman85

flanman85

FNG
Man StaBall looks like it's pretty consistent, that's interesting. I'm jumping a country mile in my 280 also due to mag limits, but I don't care. I'm loading H4831 and it doesn't provide stellar velocity but it's extremely consistent. Looking forward to seeing more results.
I have historically not had good luck with Staball 6.5...including in a 6.5 CM. It gave crazy extreme spreads and SDs. So bad I wouldn't even use it in a hunting load even for the extra velocity. I am hoping it tames down a bit with the 280AI. I know its not as temperature stable as H4350 but it is "more" temperature stable or about the same as IMR 4350 so hopefully it works out.

TaperPin

WKR
So I built a .280 AI off a Tikka .270 I had sitting around. It was a little under a year in the works due to "Covid" delays. We had a custom ground reamer made which we changed the lead angle a bit. We also ditched the tikka recoil lug and installed the LRI tombstone recoil lug, a proof 1:8 barrel, a Altitude carbon stock, and its topped with a Leupold VX-5HD. A few other things here and there. Weight with loaded mag comes in at 8lbs 8 ounces. So a bit on the chunky side for a light rifle but still within my range of acceptable.
Im working on some load work ups currently. Let me know if anyone is interested in the process or my findings. I am using a Lab radar, shooting off of an F class style rest and using a Saterlee method which I have found to work fairly well.
I'm currently working up the 162 ELDX because they are readily available for powder testing.
Nice combination - it’s good to see AI cartridges. What’s the barrel weight if you don’t mind me asking? Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting data. Tagging this for later. I'm currently doing a 280 build on a tikka as well. Very similar stats to yours.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a .280AI on a T3x in my head for a while. Want one more rebarrel before my gunsmith retires. It seems like they usually feed well from the single stack mags based on internet search. Are they feeding ok for you? Have you cycled other bullets or just the 162 ELD-x? Thanks.

OP
flanman85

flanman85

FNG
I plan on updating this shortly. Sorry I have been out of pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk