Tikka 223 trainer

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Talk me out of buying this gun as a trainer rifle! I’m convinced I need one, is this a solid choice? Is there something I’m missing out that’s available in the factory rifle market?

ElPollo

WKR
Talk me out of buying this gun as a trainer rifle! I’m convinced I need one, is this a solid choice? Is there something I’m missing out that’s available in the factory rifle market?
if your other guns are Tikkas, I would stick with the Tikka. The other 1-8” bolt gun options that I’m aware of are the Ruger American and Howas. If I’m choosing between those and the Tikka, I’ll take the Tikka every time. Better trigger, smoother action, better magazines, built in scope rail, more aftermarket options.

OP
Pistolpete28

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
if your other guns are Tikkas, I would stick with the Tikka. The other 1-8” bolt gun options that I’m aware of are the Ruger American and Howas. If I’m choosing between those and the Tikka, I’ll take the Tikka every time. Better trigger, smoother action, better magazines, built in scope rail, more aftermarket options.
That’s what I’m gathering, seems like the most logical decision. I don’t own a tikka, but I’ve always wanted one.

Spoonbill

WKR
Winchester xpr 223 has a 1-8” twist too. I know nothing about the rifles in terms of accuracy or quality, but its an option.

ElPollo

WKR
Just shot one my buddy had suppressed, and there is no reason not to get one. Do it. I couldn’t believe how much fun it was. We were just grinning the whole time.
Mine is cut to 18” and threaded for my AB Raptor can. Similar experience. My teenage daughter loves shooting this gun. I don’t think I’ve put two boxes of ammo through my other guns since I got this one. Plan to hunt with it this fall.

ddrrbb

FNG
I also just purchased one to get more range practice. I got the compact model, which is the youth model with 20" barrel, 8 twist, but I'm in a suppressor free state, so this is as short as the barrel will get.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Mine are all 18”, cut and threaded with permanent adapters by Marty. With a Scythe ti on the end there’s nothing more fun.

-J

Grundy53

WKR
That’s what I’m gathering, seems like the most logical decision. I don’t own a tikka, but I’ve always wanted one.
Mine was my first Tikka also. You will love it. It's sooo nice shooting it. The only problem is you need to buy bullets more often. Lol. I had mine cut to 18" and threaded. It's awesome shooting it suppressed.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
Pistolpete28

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Mine was my first Tikka also. You will love it. It's sooo nice shooting it. The only problem is you need to buy bullets more often. Lol. I had mine cut to 18" and threaded. It's awesome shooting it suppressed.

What’s your go to factory ammo? I had a custom rifle built a few years ago, but it seems like guys achieve similar accuracy with a semi custom tikka. You make it sound like a lot of fun! I can’t wait to get a scope on it, and get to shooting!

TxLite

WKR
Mine are all 18”, cut and threaded with permanent adapters by Marty. With a Scythe ti on the end there’s nothing more fun.

-J
Did you need the adapter to get 1/2” or did you go 5/8”?

I have a compact inbound and was planning to cut to 16” and thread 1/2”

Grundy53

WKR
What’s your go to factory ammo? I had a custom rifle built a few years ago, but it seems like guys achieve similar accuracy with a semi custom tikka. You make it sound like a lot of fun! I can’t wait to get a scope on it, and get to shooting!
Black Hills 77gr TMK

ElPollo

WKR
Black Hills 77gr TMK

@h2so4 is a Black Hills dealer and sells 500 round cases of of the TMK stuff. It’s accurate stuff and his prices and service are about as good as I’ve seen. For cheaper range practice you can get the ADI 55 gr Blitz Kings for about $0.70/round currently.

Grundy53

WKR
@h2so4 is a Black Hills dealer and sells 500 round cases of of the TMK stuff. It’s accurate stuff and his prices and service are about as good as I’ve seen. For cheaper range practice you can get the ADI 55 gr Blitz Kings for about $0.70/round currently.
Good to know. Thank you!

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I have been having pretty good success with the AAC 77gr OTM. It goes on sale pretty regularly for .55 cpr.