Tikka 223 (bolt) or Henry LR Express 223/556 (lever)?

Piddling

FNG
Classified Approved
Due to this forum, I am getting sold on the 223 for hunting. However, I am a lever action fan (Henry) and it appears most of you guys are fanboys Tikka T3/T3X. So I am torn between the two. Here are my thoughts for the new Henry Long Ranger Express vs the Tikka T3X.

Henry shoot 223 or 556 - Tikka only 223
Henry is threaded - Tikka not
Henry is 16” - Tikka 20-22” (shorter easier to maneuver in our SE woods)
Henry is 1 MOA - Tikka T3X is .5 MOA (both highly accurate)
Henry holds 5+1 - Tikka 4+1
I have held both - while their weight technically is about the same, the Henry “feels” heavier
I own 2 Tikka's and 3 Henry’s for I am most familiar/love both.

So to my analysis, I am leaning toward the Henry in the 223/56 - BUT you guys/gals seem to favor the Tikka. Can you tell me why? Thanks!!

Since you already have tikkas and Henry’s…

Buy both!

That .5 MOA is what would sell me. If I’m going lever action it’s going to be a bigger cartridge. I guess I’m more traditional in that sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not know about this Henry... Good luck with your choice. My Tikka in 223 shoots 5.56 fine. And it's my go to in the safe after last seasons performance.

I will be looking for the Henry now.

TxxAgg

WKR
The tikka will shoot the 5.56.
Another positive is the integrated scope rail.

The henry triggers stink. They are prettier and have a cool factor, though.

The tikka will shoot the 5.56.
Another positive is the integrated scope rail.

The henry triggers stink. They are prettier and have a cool factor, though.
Was wondering about that. That's too bad. Puts it in the same category as my Browning take down.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
That Henry is 9 twist compared to the 8 twist tikka, if that matters to you

PatL

FNG
Won’t a twist of 9 make shooting heavy grain bullets well tough?
I have made this mistake, now go with 8 when possible.

OP
P

Piddling

FNG
Classified Approved
Even though some have commented their Tikka 223 shoots 556, Tikka doesn’t endorse it!

For hunting deer by non-reloader like me, the top 3 cartridges recommended appears to be -
Sierra TMK 75gr
Hornady 5.56 Black InterLock 75gr
ELD-M 73gr

These seem are at the top end for the Henry Express' twist rate of 9, but is still OK! (Obviously the Tikka's twist of 8 would have a slight advantage in this area.)

Marble

WKR
I like and own some Henry and Tikka rifles. But for a hunting rifle, I would do the Tikka every time.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Even though some have commented their Tikka 223 shoots 556, Tikka doesn’t endorse it!

For hunting deer by non-reloader like me, the top 3 cartridges recommended appears to be -
Sierra TMK 75gr
ELD-M 73gr

These seem are at the top end for the Henry Express' twist rate of 9, but is still OK! (Obviously the Tikka's twist of 8 would have a slight advantage in this area.)

I wouldnt have any issues stuffing either one of those guns full of 55gr soft points and filling tags. Plenty of BTHP factory ammo out there as well...

Depends on how you are going to use it. If you are going to set up on a tripod or in a stand shooting at distance get the bolt. You will shoot the longer barrel better. If you are on horseback needing a rifle quick out of the scabbard or hunting closer range in the woods or hunting over hounds, take the lever. The quickness of the shorter barrel will have the advantage.

To be honest, in the South East, it probably doesn’t matter one way or the other in most instances. Either rifle will work. It will most likely come down to which rifle you have the most affinity for.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Henry shoot 223 or 556 - Tikka only 223

Not true. It doesn’t matter that the tikka is stamped “223”- they shoot 5.56mm safely and without issue.

Henry is threaded - Tikka not
Henry is 16” - Tikka 20-22” (shorter easier to maneuver in our SE woods)

Not true-

And in any case a chop and thread is easy takes a week or so from multiple smiths.

Henry is 1 MOA - Tikka T3X is .5 MOA (both highly accurate)

I doubt the Henry is a legit 1 MOA rifle, nor is the tikka a legit .5 MOA rifle. The Tikka definitely shoots inside of what is required.

Henry holds 5+1 - Tikka 4+1

Except for the 6 round Tikka mags that are everywhere, and the 10 round Waters Rifleman mags.

So to my analysis, I am leaning toward the Henry the 223/56 - BUT you guys/gals seem to favor the Tikka. Can you tell me why? Thanks!!

Because lever actions are a novelty. They’re is nothing functionally better about them for hunting or general field shooting. I think the Long Ranger is neat as can be, but it isn’t a replacement for a correctly setup bolt action.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

As stated above, this is a non issue.

Sierra TMK 75gr

That doesn’t exist.

Who has recommended this?

ELD-M 73gr

This is decent.

No- a 1-9” is generally not “OK!” for most of the good projectiles in .224. It may, or may not stabilize the 77gr TMK.

Last edited:
Levers are cool and faster to cycle than bolt actions, but they can’t be cycled as easily when you’re prone and they aren’t nearly as fast as a semi-auto.
Plus as Form said you might run into issues with that twist rate trying to shoot heavy bullets. I’d defer to him on this but you might end up needing to use 68ish grain bullets to get good accuracy.

if you just really want the lever gun for the cool factor I say go for it, it’ll be a sweet little rig. But in a direct comparison I think the tikka beats the Henry in every category except offhand rapid-fire.

OP
P

Piddling

FNG
Classified Approved
Thanks for all your comments/suggestions!

I have a Tikka 7mm-08 and a Henry Long Ranger 6.5 Cred. I am a fanboy of both! I find the new rotating lockup on the Henry to be almost equal (if not equal) to the bolt action of the Tikka for our area. Zeroing scopes was a task that produced consistant and accurate results from both guns. Since 90% of all of our SE hunting kills are within 100 yards (most less than 50 yds), I feel the Henry is more than adequate. Even with the heavier bullets using 1:8 twist rate on the Henry, it seems inaccuracy only occurs after 600 or so yards - that’s way beyond our hunting capability here. As a purest, I, like most of you in your comments, favor the Tikka - but for me, in our local area hunts, the Henry is far more accurate than my eyes/hands are as a shooter. Thus nothing has been said that would cause me not to choose the Henry over the Tikka.

As many has said, the Henry is just cool - scoped or not. There is something just refreshing, calming, enjoyable about walking through the woods carrying a lever action in one’s hand! Just not the same feeling with a bolt! (Of course, your mileage might vary.) Again thanks for all the helpful comments!

Last edited: