Tikka .223 6 round magazine issue

I recently purchased a Tikka .223 and an extra six round magazine for it.

The six round magazine seems to have an underpowered spring. In my garage testing, it will only feed the first three (maybe four) rounds. After it has cycled the first three rounds, the bolt slides over the magazine without picking up the remaining cartridges. I repeated this several times. In order for the last three rounds to get picked up, I have to manipulate them manually.

Has anyone experienced this?

The factory four round magazine feeds all cartridges smoothly.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I have given up on all my 6 round 223 mags. I have taken them apart and stretched the springs, tried to lubricate them, you name it. Not one of them feeds well, the best ones will feed the first 4 without problems but after that I have to push the nose down on the last two. I have a couple of 4 rounders that are picky but the rest are good. I have never had an issue with tikka 308 based mags but their 223 mags kinda suck imo.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have not with those, however I've had issues with the 10 round CTR magazines sometimes not feeding the last two rounds.

Randy

ElPollo

WKR
My 223 6-rounders have been working fine until recently. Have less than a few hundred rounds through each of them and they’ve all started missing the occasional round and not feeding. For what these friggen things cost, one would think they would have a bit longer life than that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can you take the springs out and stretch them out a bit? Or am I best just steering clear of the 6-round mags? I’ve never had an issue with a Tikka magazine before this.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
My 223 6-rounders have been working fine until recently. Have less than a few hundred rounds through each of them and they’ve all started missing the occasional round and not feeding. For what these friggen things cost, one would think they would have a bit longer life than that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can you take the springs out and stretch them out a bit? Or am I best just steering clear of the 6-round mags? I’ve never had an issue with a Tikka magazine before this.

Yes you can stretch the springs. Factory stock and bottom, or aftermarket?

Right now, Waters Rifleman mags are probably the best bet.

ElPollo

WKR

I just called Beretta customer service about it. They said it was an issue they’ve known about for 3-4 weeks related to Sako changing a vendor for their magazine springs. They don’t have a fix for it yet, but he suggested stretching the springs like you did. I asked if Beretta was going to make their customers aware when the issue was resolved. And I don’t get an answer. Based on that, I’m going to try to make these work as long as I can before ordering new ones.

We did talk a little bit about the reputation Beretta has for customer service. He said they are aware of that and pretty much the entire American customer service team has been replaced. So it sounds like they are trying to make changes for the better.

ElPollo

WKR

Factory bottom, Stocky’s VG (until I can get a RokStock lite).

The waters look nice, but seem to be tough to get in the US. My iPhone is telling me to run away from the waters website because it has internet cooties, but I found some of their 223 mags on a British website for $178 US. That’s steep, especially for a consumable part like a magazine. For a while at least, I will try stretching the springs on my 6-rounders and hope Tikka fixes the magazine supply issue.

I have known Dave waters personally for over 20 years
Deal directly with him, he will not do you wrong

The Guide

WKR
Ya know, my Howa Mini Action in 223 feeds all 10 from the factory magazine without issue.

(Said in the most loving, poke the bear 🐻 voice ever... 😉)

As much as id like to have a RSS 223, I'm not sure I want to spend $800 bucks on a rifle that might not feed all the rounds out of the magazine when my stupid $450 Howa shoots and feeds so good.

Jay

ElPollo

WKR
Ya know, my Howa Mini Action in 223 feeds all 10 from the factory magazine without issue.

(Said in the most loving, poke the bear 🐻 voice ever... 😉)

As much as id like to have a RSS 223, I'm not sure I want to spend $800 bucks on a rifle that might not feed all the rounds out of the magazine when my stupid $450 Howa shoots and feeds so good.

Jay
I’m glad your mini works.

Lawnboi

WKR
The waters mags are awesome.

While different, ordering from him is pretty painless. You do have to assemble them though, but there are also good instructions on how to do so.

FWIW your not ordering anything from his site, if you email him as directed he has a pretty standard and painless process and works through some know safe merchants for payment.

If you’re okay with an extended mag I’d just go right to that. The tikka 6 rounders have been the least reliable mags for me out of all of them.