Tick prevention on dog

TheCougar

WKR
Our 9 month old Lab keeps bringing ticks into our house. He is on Simparico Trio, but these seem to be ticks that jump on his fur and then jump off inside the house without attaching. We are finding a tick a day since he came home from training at the breeder for the last 3 months.

I’m looking for a good shampoo or treatment I can use in conjunction with Simparico to prevent the ticks from hitching a ride on his fur. Do you guys have any recommendations? I would be happy to bathe him once a week, which I think would work with a permethrin based shampoo. Is that the answer? We don’t have cats, so using pretty much anythjng is an option. Thanks.

KurtR

WKR
I brush mine with the furminator after we get done training .Other than that u haven’t found a full proof way off keeping them out of the house.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Spray your yard with permethrin.
@ScreamingPotato
Spraying my yard with permethrin is not really a viable option. I have several acres of grass and woods, I do spray with three month insect treatment in the areas around the house and my archery range, but with all the woods around, I can’t possibly cover everything. This particular instance came after he brought ticks back from a local lake where I was working on retrieves. I use .5% spray water-based on all my hunting clothes. I wonder if that sawyer is water-based or petroleum based.

Just make sure you get one from a good distributor, like chewy. I got a fake off Amazon, the dog got a couple ticks and lymes disease before I figured out what was going on.

I have used the collar with a previous dog, and although ticks weren’t as bad in TX, we never found on on him or in the house. The Google says I can combine the seresto collar and simpatica.

Yes, you can do that. That’s what I would suggest to any client with that bad of a tick issue.

I’d be very hesitant to put Sawyer’s permethrin pet products, safe or not, on a dog. i like Sawyer's and use it on myself, but Ive seen too many bad things happen with Hartz products that are supposedly safe , to trust something else OTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Yes, you can do that. That’s what I would suggest to any client with that bad of a tick issue.

I’d be very hesitant to put Sawyer’s permethrin pet products, safe or not, on a dog. i like Sawyer's and use it on myself, but Ive seen too many bad things happen with Hartz products that are supposedly safe , to trust something else OTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a vet? Sounds like you might be, which would save me a call to my vet.

Last edited:

Wellsdw

WKR
Probably not a viable option, but is prescribed burning an option? Has a multitude of benefits specifically for wildlife habitat. Wrecks tick populations also! I have several acres that I work dogs on and have seen good improvement in declining tick populations by burning. Timing is crucial to getting the most bang when burning them though.

As far at ticks go, I use frontline or some variation if it. I did have a dog get lime disease several years ago (she was an inside dog mostly) and we weren’t as diligent as we should have been with medication. She was never the same, and seemed to have flare ups annually that put her on harsh antibiotics.

@ScreamingPotato
Spraying my yard with permethrin is not really a viable option. I have several acres of grass and woods, I do spray with three month insect treatment in the areas around the house and my archery range, but with all the woods around, I can’t possibly cover everything. This particular instance came after he brought ticks back from a local lake where I was working on retrieves. I use .5% spray water-based on all my hunting clothes. I wonder if that sawyer is water-based or petroleum based.
I totally misread that post I quoted, I read it as spray the dog with permethrin! Yeah a hunting dog's yard is infinite. Not sure on the permethrin for dogs, we tried it for mosquitos because they were absolutely tearing up my dog and I didn't want to drench her with deet. The bottle claims that it lasts 5 weeks or 6 weeks and I know the permethrin for clothes is supposed to last through washes somehow so I'm betting it sticks in the dogs through water retrieves.

Also maybe relevant to the thread, I use Nexgard Spectra for my dogs and I've had ticks on myself but never seen one actually crawling on the dogs.

Speaks

FNG
Seresto is what I use on all my hunting dogs. Dont ever buy off amazon, I get from my vet though there are other reputable options

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I
I totally misread that post I quoted, I read it as spray the dog with permethrin! Yeah a hunting dog's yard is infinite. Not sure on the permethrin for dogs, we tried it for mosquitos because they were absolutely tearing up my dog and I didn't want to drench her with deet. The bottle claims that it lasts 5 weeks or 6 weeks and I know the permethrin for clothes is supposed to last through washes somehow so I'm betting it sticks in the dogs through water retrieves.

Also maybe relevant to the thread, I use Nexgard Spectra for my dogs and I've had ticks on myself but never seen one actually crawling on the dogs.
I bought some .25% permethrin dog shampoo. I’m going to try that, and if it doesn’t work I’m going to double up on the Simparica and Seresto.