Thumb release

n8saki

FNG
I've been there with TP and it sucks. Made the transition and landed on training and club tournaments with a hinge and a similar profile thumb button. What I concluded was my TP developed by focusing on the result as opposed to the process. The hinge requires a sequence that I do and that removed all focus of hitting the bullseye and on to a closed loop process.

Tried a lot of combos, best I've found for me is Carter Wise Choice with Ultraview Knob for hunting, Truball HBC Flex Medium [plan to hunt with it soon]

Nothing against Stan, but all the ones I've had there were issues. Try to get support was another story as well.

Venom One

WKR
I've been there with TP and it sucks. Made the transition and landed on training and club tournaments with a hinge and a similar profile thumb button. What I concluded was my TP developed by focusing on the result as opposed to the process. The hinge requires a sequence that I do and that removed all focus of hitting the bullseye and on to a closed loop process.

Tried a lot of combos, best I've found for me is Carter Wise Choice with Ultraview Knob for hunting, Truball HBC Flex Medium [plan to hunt with it soon]

Nothing against Stan, but all the ones I've had there were issues. Try to get support was another story as well.

I have a similar setup - Carter WC and Truball HBC.

Where did you get the UV knob? I couldn't find it.

Carter is nice because they’re made in Idaho. I shoot a tru ball GOAT because it can be switched between thumb and hinge. I shot it back to back with the onnex as a thumb button and chose it just because of the option to switch if I wanted. Can’t go wrong with stan, Carter, Ultraview or the GOAT

^^^ This needs to be stated several times.

I shot a wrist rocket for a long time and just started to not like it. I’ve been shooting a hinge and thumb for about 12 years now. I much prefer drawing back with these, the arm angle is much more natural and easy feeling on shoulder and back.

If you make it a habit to draw a thumb button with your thumb behind the trigger and not on it, thumb and pointer touching making an “okay” sort of sign, don’t move thumb to the trigger until you have your pins on the target and you’ll never have an accidental release.
Had my first accidental discharge this year, finally figured that out after shooting one for a long time. Feels much more comfortable drawing now.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Unpopular opinion but you can be extremely accurate with a index without a surprise shot. He even stated he had target panic with a thumb then he switched back it dissolved probably because he shoots the index with a command style. I’ve never shot a pistol or rifle with my thumb and certainly never shot a weapon expecting a surprise shot. I see this thread every couple months and I think switching for the sake of the novelty of it is fine, I ultimately don’t believe in a hunting scenario a thumb or hinge is more practical.

n8saki

FNG
Unpopular opinion but you can be extremely accurate with a index without a surprise shot. He even stated he had target panic with a thumb then he switched back it dissolved probably because he shoots the index with a command style. I’ve never shot a pistol or rifle with my thumb and certainly never shot a weapon expecting a surprise shot. I see this thread every couple months and I think switching for the sake of the novelty of it is fine, I ultimately don’t believe in a hunting scenario a thumb or hinge is more practical.

Absolutely you’re correct. It can be done on any of the release aids. It’s more about what tool allows you to repeat with as little interference or development of TP.

Closed loop, shot sequence can be used on all, but for me personally - the hinge is the most repeatable, followed by the TB.

I’m most accurate & calm with those, and that’s what I want under stress or hunting.

I hunt with a Wise Choice and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Also have pretty meaty hands. I’ve found that the Carter Evolution matches it well as far as dimensions if you’re looking for a tension release to practice with and switch off. Hard to beat that combo.

ddigman3

FNG
I made the switch 2 years ago from a wrist rocket to a thumb then recently picked up a hinge to work on form better. I feel like I am a way better shot both on the range and in the field with one but there are a few drawbacks. The main issue I have with them is I don't like not having one attached to my wrist for peace of mind and so I don't lose a $300 release (poor man problems). When they are attached they have a bigger footprint and weight than a wrist rocket so they clang around more. I also use little strips of Bowmar Grip Tape on the finger slots to provide a little more grip when sweaty or when wearing gloves. After shooting the hinge for awhile I don't think I would hunt with one just due to situations where you may need to punch one due to wind.

I think they are worth the investment as long as you put in the time to shoot them right. No sense in switching if you are still going to punch it. It helped my brain differentiate between punching with my pointer finger and relearning how to shoot with my thumb by executing properly. I have shot the Stan Perfex thumb & resistance and just picked up the Ultraview Hinge and Thumb. I like all of them just prefer the feeling in my hand with the Ultraview release. They also offer a better wrist sling system than the Stan does especially since the new Onnex doesn't even have a hole.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
I shot an index for my entire archery time and liked everything about the ones I used except I couldn’t anchor for shit with a beanie on that covered my ears. I have a Stan Shootoff that is oh so smooth but I don’t love the non-mechanical closing function and the open loop for your index finger, I always felt like it was easy to drop. I decided to get a wise choice 3 finger but came across a Nock-2-it deal and ended up with that. It’s small enough to store well and very easy to get comfortable with. I was really unsure of the 2 finger deal but your ring finger sits on a shelf so it’s like a 2.5 finger. I’ve got pretty meaty hands as well. I have luckily never had to deal with target panic but it is indeed a mental struggle so drills like blank baling with no sight on the bow and just going through your draw, anchor and release process are invaluable. If you want to try the stan I’ll happily ship it to you to use and see what you think. It’s a backup to a backup so it’s not used.