three day trip- under 30 lbs with food and water :)

S.Clancy

WKR
I've taken my 15F bag into the negative single digits using puffies. I dont wear them, I layer one over my legs and the other over my chest. Works good when you have a properly R-rated pad. Any colder than that and I'd really rather not backpack in.

My bags are Feather Friend's Flickers- like a bag in most respects, but no hood and and can fully zip them out on warmer nights.
I’ve been looking at the Flicker and was leaning towards the 20° UL wide version (room for layers). Just curious what you would consider the useful temp range of that setup vs say the 30° version?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been looking at the Flicker and was leaning towards the 20° UL wide version (room for layers). Just curious what you would consider the useful temp range of that setup vs say the 30° version?

I find FF to be pretty spot on with their rating (comfort)- no problem with 20 degrees (bag on it's own) and with the full zip, probably up to the 50's and 60's. 20 degrees with just light base layers and a hat for comfort.

Ditto on the 30 degree bag, but probably a little more comfy in the higher range.

My 20 degree Flicker I had them add 3 oz of overfill and I've had it down to single digits and have been comfortable. I call it a 5-10 degree bag, the 30 I didn't add any overfill and it's a solid 30 degree bag.

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
I find FF to be pretty spot on with their rating (comfort)- no problem with 20 degrees (bag on it's own) and with the full zip, probably up to the 50's and 60's. 20 degrees with just light base layers and a hat for comfort.

Ditto on the 30 degree bag, but probably a little more comfy in the higher range.

My 20 degree Flicker I had them add 3 oz of overfill and I've had it down to single digits and have been comfortable. I call it a 5-10 degree bag, the 30 I didn't add any overfill and it's a solid 30 degree bag.
How do you like the flicker after a few years?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you like the flicker after a few years?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

FlickerS :D I've got two now- one is a 30°, the other a 20° w/ 3 oz of overfill- roughly a 10° Yeah other than my -10° bag, they are all I use. Someone pm'd me recently asking about the Flicker and wanted to know if I missed having a hood. With the -10 bag I want a hood, with the Flickers I've found a one ounce down beanie w/ the hood from base layer to be enough.

So yeah I still like them :)

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Hyperlite gear makes a small insulated pouch that you put the ziploc in and then add water. The pouch adds structure and keeps it hot. Totally worth it in regards to weight and trash when you’re out for more than a couple nights

Hyperlite gear makes a small insulated pouch that you put the ziploc in and then add water. The pouch adds structure and keeps it hot. Totally worth it in regards to weight and trash when you’re out for more than a couple nights

Would this be the product you’re referring to? And did I read the zip locks must be freezer rated to not melt?