Thoughts on suppressed build

If at all possible, I will always put a suppressor on my rifles. Large caliber hunting rifles are no exception. Reduced noise, signature, and blast pressure are worth the extra weight and length to me.

I am currently running a Griffin Armament 30SD that I am able to move back and forth between my hunting set up and my home/farm defense set ups.

Currently running a .308 with the Silencerco Harvester Evo. This can is insanely quiet, especially for its size. Around 10 ounces, and rated up to 300 win mag. All for around $500-$600. I’d give it serious consideration!

I plan to set up another rifle for out west in 7mm mag, 7 PRC, or .300 win mag and will use the same silencer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

005288E7-1D27-4A59-B367-792F4EF5FACC.jpeg
Current setup is a Springfield Waypoint in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Meopta Optika 6, 3-18x50 FFP Mil reticle with the Griffin Armament 30SD mounted on the barrel.

Really need to establish your priorities before getting a can and setting up a rifle. We don't all shoot/hunt the same way. I prioritize hunting which is why I posted my initial response. I also don't shoot long range >400yds. I want a rifle around 8.5 lbs max and total barrel length of 22-24 inch's with can. A 5 inch can gets me to near hearing safe on mid calibers. I switch to a bigger can for range time, max suppression, or subsonics. A big can on a magnum would be very effective, but not something I would want to tote very far.

I’ve fired a 300 win mag with my Harvester Evo. Only added 10-12 ounces to the rifle and makes a huge difference with the noise and concussion. After shooting with the can, it’s hard to enjoy shooting without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
I hunt horseback almost exclusively so the shorter the better for fitting into a scabbard

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Really need to establish your priorities before getting a can and setting up a rifle. We don't all shoot/hunt the same way. I prioritize hunting which is why I posted my initial response. I also don't shoot long range >400yds. I want a rifle around 8.5 lbs max and total barrel length of 22-24 inch's with can. A 5 inch can gets me to near hearing safe on mid calibers. I switch to a bigger can for range time, max suppression, or subsonics. A big can on a magnum would be very effective, but not something I would want to tote very far.
What can gets you close to 85db? Haven't seen any that get close on hunting cartridges

What can gets you close to 85db? Haven't seen any that get close on hunting cartridges
Hearing safe may not just be a db number but a db number over time. The 85 db limit is usually referred to as a level over time or an average that is damaging to hearing.

You should always wear hearing pro at the range. In a hunting situation where ideally you fire one shot hearing safe is not considered 85db. For the first time my one shot in the field without ear pro this year, my first with a suppressor, did not ring my ears at all.

Daily Allotted Shots Per dB Before Hearing Damage

Last edited:
My ultra mag is about do for a new barrel. Thinking about rebarreling it in a 300 win mag with a 22" barrel and running a suppressor like a Banish Backcountry or Tbac Ultra 5. Im new to the supressor game so any insight would be appreciated, thanks
I have an Omega 300 suppressor on my Christensen MPR 300 PRC and I absolutely love it. Check that suppressor out. Pretty light compared to some others, good noise and recoil reduction.

Got it. I just ordered a Hyperion K and thought why wouldn't that be a good first suppressor as it gets great reviews. Made me nervous I made a poor choice.
I have a Hyperion K and it sounds pretty damn quiet to me. I still wear earplugs when range shooting but for hunting you could leave them behind probably. I can only imagaine how quiet the full size hyperion must be. The technology and science behind it is mind blowing.

Also checkout pew science. Tons of good info and you can compare the decible ratings etc on top performers.

My ultra mag is about do for a new barrel. Thinking about rebarreling it in a 300 win mag with a 22" barrel and running a suppressor like a Banish Backcountry or Tbac Ultra 5. Im new to the supressor game so any insight would be appreciated, thanks
Listen to the other comments. 300 mag anything & your more likely to appreciate “hearing” a 7” or 9” better. Like a guy behind a gun counter once told me on this subject, “There’s no replacement for displacement!”

I have a Rugged Radiant...it has regular 7" and K config...5ish" if I remember correctly...I use the regular length on my 300 win mag and other BA rifles, all have the barrels chopped. and k config on my ARs...it titanium so it's like 11oz in the regular length.

Seeknelk

WKR
I use a TBAC Dominus on my 24" 300 PRC. 6.5" and 10.5 oz. I absolutely love shooting it. Need to get my 22 Creedmoor threaded and that should make that my even more favoritest rifle. Very quiet and tames a 8.5 pound 300 very well. Watched the bullet strike a elk at 500 yards, scope on 6-8x made it easy to watch. Heard the loud WOP shooting pronghorn at 345. Love it. I'll do a 20-22" barrel next. But it's not bad as is at all.

I don't shoot unsuppressed period!
I have the following suppressors and will be buying a TBAC Magnus this week probably (Just discovered this can 20 minutes ago lol).
I like high volume cans and maximum sound suppression. I will never own a K style or short can.

I guess if I minded the longer length or didn't want the extra weight, I would still shoot suppressed. I would cut the barrel back enough and then up the cartridge size until I got the performance I needed. Might not be efficient but I'm not shooting unsuppressed lol.

SWR Spectre
Gemtech Trilogy Pack
SiCO Salvo12
DA 22 Mask HD
DA Nomad L
DA Nomad LT
Bowers Vers 375
Rugged Obsidian 45
Griffin Bushwhacker 46
TBAC 22 TD

spdrman

WKR
You mentioned horses and concerned with overall length …. 2 years ago my buddy and I where talking about short barreled magnums with our suppressors. So for fun I bought a tikka 300wsm and cut the barrel to 18”, shooting 178eldx 2850 and the thing is a tac driver and a dream to carry around and quickly became my go to rifle I’d grab to take hunting. To make it even better I bought a xlr magnesium Chassis. Be hard to hunt again without a folding stock. I have a 24” prc I’m really considering rebarreling too 20” to run with the suppressor. With the ballistic rangefinders we have available and dialing our scopes it’s not much to dial a touch more to make up for the little bit of velocity you loose with the the shorter barrels

Here’s a picture of it next to a rum with a 26” barrel. And my short 10 year old, he’s killed quite a few critters with that rifle
E1C7E835-5816-4FA7-8E3D-5A226CC94DFB.jpeg
0AC190B2-1B15-4FC2-BD90-9B4598CB816C.jpeg

Samg1707

FNG
Suppress it and don’t look back, yes they’re still loud but it spooks game way less than not having a can. I’ve been more than pleased with my surefire rc2 30cal