Thoughts on Muley Freak Traverse bino harness with holster?

I was looking at the new Muley Freak Traverse bino harness and it looks like a fairly good solution. No magnets so no problems with GPS navigation. It looks to be enough but not too much. Of course some people will always want more and others will want less but this looks like a good middle of the road size.

My question is what do you all think of the holster part? I've never carried a pistol while hunting before but will be carrying a G20 this year because I'm bowhunting where Griz live. I like how the pistol sits below and not to the side of the bino harness. But, it looks to me like the strap and fabric may make it inconsistent to draw the pistol. It looks like the trigger isn't protected. What do experienced shooters think of the holster on the bottom?

I wouldn’t buy anything from them their original harness is junk and won’t let you return it... at least they wouldn’t when I bought it. Some of the worst customer service I’ve experienced. Take your money elsewhere

What happens when that rail on the bottom snags?? No thanks. The whole bino harness thing is kind of a mystery to me anyway.

Mmmm. No first hand experience with this or other Miley freak stuff. I will say in my +25 years off handgun shooting, LEO and .mil experience, that may be the first butt “outward” carry style I have ever seen.

In addition to points made above it seems like the butt of the gun is going to make contact with all kinds of things.

That video puts it in a worse light than expected. Poor retention, in no way can you "re-holster" one handed, and sorry, a real holster can't pull double duty as an Iphone holder. Did you notice how the slide was pushed back out of battery when he inserted the gun? Lame.

I probably wouldn't carry my pistol that way but I definitely wouldn't put my phone there. The keeper strap doesn't really help when you can just push the phone out the other side. Good for them for trying though.

Last edited:
Well, I like my original MF harness, but rigged the pouch so I can buckle it straight to my pack straps when desired. I carry a 4" 629 MG with XS express sights QD buckled similarly off the left shoulder strap. I like autos for other purposes but wouldn't be comfortable with either this carry for my .44 or anything less than a .44. But I wanted an excuse to buy one anyway, so there you go.

I think it’s pretty sweet, I have the Muley freak 2 harness and I like it. I am tempted to buy this one but my buddies have the FHF Bino harness and I have to say you can do the same thing with it and it seems very well put together with better customer service.

I really want to order this. I’ve been picky with harnesses and have gone from Kuiu, to the 1st gen Muley Freak harness, then to Outdoor vision. This looks like the best of all of them. Forward opening, minimalist compact design, no magnets and made in America. Not sold on the pistol carry, but I don’t like one on my harness anyways.

With my current waist holster, I can reliably keep one in the chamber. You can't keep one in the chamber with this. Racking a round means 1-2 less rounds in the bear.

Back