Thoughts on Lowa Renegade II GTX Mids

REI has a deal on them. Regular price is $220, and they are down to $150. After reading the reviews, the only real complaint seems to be how long they last, but that is to be expected from a lightweight boot with a softer sole. And with the REI return policy, i'm thinking I can't go wrong. Looking at them for summer hiking and early fall hunting. Thoughts?

twp1224

FNG
Not sure about the Renegades, but the Ranger GTX are my go to boots. They have performed very well.

wapitibob

WKR
I bought the Renegades and loved them. I returned them a year later when they leaked and swapped them for Lowa Zephyr. The Zephyr are junk. Way to flexible for the membrane to remain intact. Leaked like a sieve within seconds of sensing moisture. Returned the Zephyr for Vasque Breeze. I'm guessing they will eventually leak too and they will get returned for Renegades.
In addition I am buying another pair of the Renegades this weekend. Very comfortable, all leather boot.
They're not a high altitude, rock strewn, stiff sheep boot but for Western hunting I loved them.

Lawnboi

WKR
I love my zephyrs for lightweight work. Renegades are awsome boots for thier size. They provide a good mix of things your looking for in a mid duty boot.

Between me and my father we own over 5 pairs of renegades along with a pair of zephyrs. Non of them have leaked. Some are on thier last leg and are still waterproof.

Id reccomend them to anyone looking for a mid weight boot. I personally use them for times when i dont need my stiff boots. Renegades would be my choice work boot.

Thats a good price, and i can say honestly that all the sets of renegades and zephyrs we have, we have not paid over that amount.

IMO they are built 100x better then those keen, merrell, and vasque asian made pieces of junk

a3dhunter

WKR
Renegades felt great on my feet last year, and held up well but they leaked from day two.

If it wasn't for having wet feet, I would have kept them.

OP
SmokeEater
Well, I bought them yesterday. Weighed out the pros and cons and for the savings, figured I couldn't go wrong. Feel real good, stiff enough for packing, but lightweight. Love my other Lowa's, so we will see. Will update with my feelings later. Thanks for the input guys.

BigSurArcher

Banned
I bet you will like them! I've enjoyed mine the past couple years. I wore mine out in a year, so I took them in to REI and swapped em for a brand new pair. The second pair is lasting ok, but I'll probably be trading them in too after this fall. Guess what I'll get... another pair of the same! Something to be said for that. They're extremely comfortable, even in terrain like this!

IMG_0964.jpg

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to sidetrack the thread, but awesome picture BigSur! That is some gorgeous country!

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the Rangers. The Renegades were a bit too soft and the Tibets are a bit too stiff. The Rangers were just right and after a full season in them, I just cant get over how nice they are. I need to salt away a pair or two in case they stop making them.

The women's version is what I have my wife in!!! I ran the LOWA Zephyr myself last year. The Renegades are stiffer and offer more support than the Zephyr's IMO.