Thoughts on Hoyt/Fuse/TightSpot quivers

philcox

WKR
New to the sport. I shoot a Hoyt Powermax. Looking at a 5 arrow setup I think. Probably could go with 3, but ...

Seems like the TightSpot are the favorite, but wondering if the Hoyt/Fuse are reasonably good alternatives for my setup.

Phil

87TT

WKR
I have a Powermax and a Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver. I just got a Pro Defiant so I bought another bracket and can switch it to either bow as needed. As for the quiver itself, I love it and wouldn't use any other. I do wish I had got the 7 arrow but oh well.

I wasn't too impressed with the last hoyt quivers I messed with. The detachable was ok but the 2 piece on the carbon riser was horrible. Wouldn't get tight. I do like the adjustability of the tight spot. I run a 7 arrow tight spot with 5 arrows in it. Only dislike is it has a quick realease arrow spot where the opening in the gripper faces the rear of the bow. Doesn't grip the arrow as tight as the rest of them. I lost an arrow out of that position a few times getting out from stands in the dark. Wasn't a situation where I was carrying the bow like I was stalking but I guess it would catch brush and get pulled out. Think one time it was in a primos bow sling and one time strapped to my pack.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I have a Powermax and a Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver. I just got a Pro Defiant so I bought another bracket and can switch it to either bow as needed. As for the quiver itself, I love it and wouldn't use any other. I do wish I had got the 7 arrow but oh well.

Why would yo want the 7, seems like a LOT of arrows to be carrying. You find you get that many shots?

Why would yo want the 7, seems like a LOT of arrows to be carrying. You find you get that many shots?
7 arrow is 0.1oz heavier than the 5 arrow, and as the other guy said you can always run fewer arrows in the 7 arrow. That said, if you want say 4-5 arrows for your big game tag plus a few extra for grouse or rabbits or whatever small game the quiver fills up quick. Even a heavy arrow is not really that heavy. 550gr is about 1.2oz.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I wasn't too impressed with the last hoyt quivers I messed with. The detachable was ok but the 2 piece on the carbon riser was horrible. Wouldn't get tight. I do like the adjustability of the tight spot. I run a 7 arrow tight spot with 5 arrows in it. Only dislike is it has a quick release arrow spot where the opening in the gripper faces the rear of the bow. Doesn't grip the arrow as tight as the rest of them. I lost an arrow out of that position a few times getting out from stands in the dark. Wasn't a situation where I was carrying the bow like I was stalking but I guess it would catch brush and get pulled out. Think one time it was in a primos bow sling and one time strapped to my pack.

How much further form the bow does the 7 sit than the 5? I would think it would be a little further out, and create a more unbalanced situation (more so than the 5). Thanks for the info.

87TT

WKR
Like BB said, I always have a grouse arrow. You don't have to carry more if you don't want. The 7 arrow has the two under the others so it sits basically the same as the 5. Also elk are big tough animals and you may have to shoot a few times. Also when you are way back in, do you really want to hike all the way out for more arrows if you lose some? Especially backpacking.

TJ

WKR
I have the Hoyt/Fuse on my Defiant. I don't have any issues with.
I also have a Fuse on my Mathews Switchback XT.
I think they are well made and work fine.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I have the Hoyt/Fuse on my Defiant. I don't have any issues with.
I also have a Fuse on my Mathews Switchback XT.
I think they are well made and work fine.

You run the regular or the XL? or the Maxxis?

IMG_20190415_201836068.jpgIMG_20190415_201932227.jpg

I looked at bother the 5 arrow and 7 arrow. I think they are the same quiver just the 7 arrow has two arrow slots that have deeper grippers. Pictures maybe explain it.

sndmn11

WKR
I shoot more flowers, dirt spots, and leaves than spots most years, so I have had 2 of 5 arrows on my recurve as thumpers, and will have 3 of 7 if I hunt with the compound this year. I will post some pictures of both the 5 and 7 arrow tight spot in a bit. The 7 arrow also gives you more space for blades if you choose to just truck around with 5.

eltaco

WKR
I actually think the new Hoyt / Fuse quivers are the best quivers on the market right now, and I personally like them better than all of the Tightspots I have owned. I don’t have the numbers on me any longer but I believe the Hoyt quiver came in around 4oz lighter than my Tightspot.

As for Tightspot, you simply can’t put the center of mass of the 7 arrow as close to the riser as the 5 or 3 arrow. The way they chose to add the extra 2 arrows really goes against their whole marketing message. You have to place it further out to gain clearance for the back 2 arrows.

I should mention that I’ve had previous Hoyt and Fuse quivers and none of them held a candle to the new ones. Don’t form an opinion based on previous product experiences... the 2019 quivers are in a new league.

IMG_20190416_064055112.jpgIMG_20190416_064018548.jpg

My 7 arrow is setup so it sticks out the same distance as the wheel on my Tommy Hogg. I can't see where you can do that with any other quiver. I haven't messed with a Hoyt or fuse quiver in 2 years. Last one I had was a quick detach 5 arrow. It was a nice quiver but you couldn't do anything like what you can with the tight spot for adjusting the weight on your bow. Just depends on what you want out of a quiver. If you are stand hunting and plan to remove it on stand it's not a big deal. If shooting with a quiver on the bow all the time I definitely prefer the tight spot.

View attachment 96262View attachment 96263

My 7 arrow is setup so it sticks out the same distance as the wheel on my Tommy Hogg. I can't see where you can do that with any other quiver. I haven't messed with a Hoyt or fuse quiver in 2 years. Last one I had was a quick detach 5 arrow. It was a nice quiver but you couldn't do anything like what you can with the tight spot for adjusting the weight on your bow. Just depends on what you want out of a quiver. If you are stand hunting and plan to remove it on stand it's not a big deal. If shooting with a quiver on the bow all the time I definitely prefer the tight spot.
How did you manage to find a 7 arrow in Fusion?

Utah hydrographic. I did it when they first started. It got a little confusing because I actually had to purchase it through first lite. But you can get on first lite's site and see the details. I disassembled a new bow and sent it off with accessories to have it done. I was very pleased with the job Utah Hydrographics did.
Sweet, looks nice! Who did it?

sndmn11

WKR
Sweet, looks nice! Who did it?

I am wondering if you could call Tight Spot as well. They charged me a custom fee for doing the red brackets with a carbon look hood on my wife's quiver, they may be able to do a 7 arrow hood in fusion but you'll never know until you ask. (406) 388-2546 They will probably pick up in the first two rings.