Thoughts on eastern Tennessee

ethan

WKR
I am moving to the Dunlap area in less than 2 years. It has a lot to offer. It's a low tax state. Lots of public land. Geographically beautiful. Mild weather with 4 seasons. It is getting more expensive though.
I’m just north of Dunlap, about 2 miles from fall creek falls

TN VOL

FNG
Born and raised just outside of Knoxville and have spent most of my adult life (excluding military) here. I love living and raising my family here. There is plenty of hunting opportunity here, but like most states east of the big river, the majority of the land is private. Hunting leases available and are common throughout the state. As mentioned, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, rafting are all great. Decent duck hunting, limited upland birds, but a wide variety of species to hunt throughout the year. The best part of all, we wear orange all year long! VFL! GO VOLS GO!!!

hobbes

WKR
My brother lived in Crossville for a while and liked it there but eventually moved back home to Southern IL. He hunted turkeys there a little bit mostly came back home to hunt whitetails, waterfowl and turkeys. He still goes back to visit friends that he made there but they visit him in November to hunt whitetails.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Another recommendation for fishing here. Small blue lines for brook trout, random creeks through town for smallmouth, bigger wading style fishing around the national park for both trout and smallmouth. No shortage of lakes.

Beautiful area, I personally love it up there.

Only ever hunted around Chattanooga, insane deer density around town. 100x better than anything I’ve ever deer hunted in Florida. Scouted around Cherokee a time or two and only ever really found small tracks, not really any buck sign.

Plenty of national forest for camping. I know there’s a small rock climbing scene and some whitewater rafting that happens.

If you’re an active, outdoors family, I think it’s a great place to be!

As stated above, there are some characters depending on where you go. Never really bought into the whole income inequality deal until I saw multimillion dollar homes on top of the mountain and half burnt out trailers at the base with folks still living in them.

ethan

WKR
I'll be up on the mountain just a few miles from Savage Gulf. Have you ever shot at Dead Zero?
I haven’t shot there.

As has been stated, Chattanooga is a really cool town with tons of outdoor related things to do. More caves per square mile here than anywhere in the world, lots of climbing, hiking, white water rafting, etc…. Also as has been mentioned, hunting can be very challenging. Deer densities are pretty low in big timber, expect to spend a lot of time vs opportunities. But there are pockets or areas that can be good if you have access to private farms with good habitat. The plateau is by far the least populated area of the state with big south fork, fall creek falls, savage gulf, Scott’s gulf, Catoosa, Pickett state park, prentice cooper, etc…. Our elevation isn’t high compared to the Rockies, but for the most part you’re starting at or near sea level with thick and rugged terrain. Very similar to areas of northern Idaho I’ve hunted. It’s a cool and unique place

Good evening, I’ve been a lurker on here a while and definitely love the input you all have. Im from the White Mountains of Arizona, been here my whole life except 10 years in the military. I’m unfortunately looking at leaving this area as work opportunities are slim. I currently have an opportunity to move to East Tennessee and wanted see if I can get some opinions on that side of the state as far as life and hunting goes. Thank you all for your time.
Where in the East Tennessee is your opportunity? I’ve been here since I left the military. I’ve lived in Oak Ridge, West Knox, and now Maryville. I’m about 6 miles from the SMNP.

joslinbd

FNG
Meth head live in every holler from Chattanooga to the Tri-Cities. Look into the Brentwood area in Middle TN