Thoughts on a diy whitetail pack

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Does any of this really matter that much? No, but it’s fun to me so here it goes. I’m planning on making a fleece backpack with the purpose of it riding on my stand when walking in, or on its own if I’m hunting a pre-set stand.

I’m using this pattern from stitch back gear and customizing it from there. https://www.stitchbackgear.com/patterns/stitchback-fl-sewing-pattern-kayc2

Here are some sketches of features I’m thinking about adding, including molle-attached drawstring pouches on the side, compression straps that I can flip around to strap the pack to the tree, and straps on the bottom of the pack to hold a rolled up jacket or pants. The top is drawstring closure to avoid zippers. I plan to line it with a blaze orange nylon I have to give it some structure.

793d80ec554b6aaa3804477a95bbc877.jpg

9ab0a14f9f9cb411ae65e5ffa6229479.jpg

dfb30a6e8e908839214a93c6306ce89b.jpg

Id love to hear any thoughts on features you would like if you were making yourself a pack for these purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks promising!

Personally, I would want to use a quieter brushed for fleece material on the inside as well to keep down noise when accessing items. Some thin foam (EVA aka cosplay foam at hobby stores) would help with the structure.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
That looks promising!

Personally, I would want to use a quieter brushed for fleece material on the inside as well to keep down noise when accessing items. Some thin foam (EVA aka cosplay foam at hobby stores) would help with the structure.

Appreciate your input. I may end up doing that with the inside, but honestly this nylon I have is pretty thin and soft, so I don’t think it’ll make much noise, plus I have a bunch of it just sitting around. Great idea with the foam too. I used that on a larger backpack I made and it works well. That may be enough for the back part or if not I’ll use some thin plastic

WoodBow

WKR
Yea I think the fleece sewn to the nylon will quiet the nylon some. You planning to use cordura?

It would be easy to add a drop in fleece liner if the nylon proves too loud. Nothing seems as loud as when you are dragging it out of a bag in the predawn silence.

An option that I moved towards is the ability to strap bulky clothing items to the outside of the pack. Easier/quieter/faster to add and remove items.

I've been running a badlands monster fanny and it is just barely big enough but I seem to get by since it has external straps on top and bottom that I use for bulky items.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I think the fleece sewn to the nylon will quiet the nylon some. You planning to use cordura?

It would be easy to add a drop in fleece liner if the nylon proves too loud. Nothing seems as loud as when you are dragging it out of a bag in the predawn silence.

An option that I moved towards is the ability to strap bulky clothing items to the outside of the pack. Easier/quieter/faster to add and remove items.

I've been running a badlands monster fanny and it is just barely big enough but I seem to get by since it has external straps on top and bottom that I use for bulky items.

Hopefully it will. My plan was the nylon interior and fleece outer, so no cordura really. Then just webbing, g hooks and some other hardware. I’m really liking the idea of having straps to hold extra layers. I feel like I always have a ton to pack in since I barely wear anything walking in. I’m thinking the compression straps and then the straps in the bottom would be enough for that purpose

Bert01

FNG
For a whitetail pack I like the idea. I use a MR galligator and strap it to the tree, so I’d love a fleece one with tree straps. Also some smaller pockets on the outside close to the top would be good, range finder, phone, limb saw.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
For a whitetail pack I like the idea. I use a MR galligator and strap it to the tree, so I’d love a fleece one with tree straps. Also some smaller pockets on the outside close to the top would be good, range finder, phone, limb saw.

Yeah that’s a good idea. I’m not set on the pocket layout yet, but I may end up doing two smaller ones one side for smaller stuff like that and a bigger one on the other for a thermocell, thermos etc

WoodBow

WKR
To be clear, cordura is nylon. Just a specific weave of it. It is what I would use because it will give the most structure and have the best ability to hold strap stitching under load.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
To be clear, cordura is nylon. Just a specific weave of it. It is what I would use because it will give the most structure and have the best ability to hold strap stitching under load.

Oh right, I was thinking of it as its own thing but you’re correct. I have some 500d cordura that I would use, but it’s louder than the thinner nylon ripstop I have so I’ll probably just go with that

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider

Although that’s a good point about holding under load. I may end up doing some reinforcement patches if I feel like the strength factor isn’t there