Thoughts and experience with mystery ranch beartooth 80/85

Anyone used a beartooth 80/85 pack extensively and have some honest thoughts and opinions on them/comparisons and more suggestions are also welcome. Thanks

I’ve been using one for about 6-7 years now. I used a MR Metcalf prior to that. I don’t have any experience with other big name packs other than an old Dana Design mountaineering pack.

Pros:
Good frame and belt
Pretty easy to utilize the meat shelf
Plenty of room (I day hunt without the lid)
Will handle lots of weight

Cons
I’m not overly fond of the suitcase style zipper
The pack itself is a little heavy

I upgraded to gains little more room than the Metcalf. I thought the design would grow on me, it really hasn’t. However, I obviously don’t dislike it enough to buy something different.

I like simplicity and would lean towards the Metcalf (bigger volume now) if it were me. If you like lots of internal pockets and the ability to organize, you might love it.

I broke my frame and sent it in to MR this past winter. They repaired and replaced everything to make it new again.

fatlander

WKR
I hunt with some fellows that all had guide light MT framed mystery ranch packs. One of them was a beartooth, the others were a sawtooth, Metcalf, and Marshall. They’ve all got EXO packs now. Each one talked about pack slip under heavy load that they don’t get with EXO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

WKR
My son runs a Mystery Ranch Beartooth and I run a Kifaru Woodsman.
We took both to Alaska for a moose hunt and I gotta say I was surprised. I was concerned with his frame and the heavy loads. He used the MR Cargo panel and had no issues moving the meat. The frame seems a little flimsy I thought initially however it worked well. Through Guidefitter the price points of the MR gear is very attractive. So in the end I think really good bang for the buck.

There are times I like how his bag, zippers, compression when not full and strap system works better than mine.

taskswap

WKR
I run a Beartooth 80 that I swap onto a Guide Lite MT frame to replace my Sawtooth 45 when I'm going out more than 3 days. I like it, but mostly echo what Jason said above. I would add a few more details as well:

- IMO swapping the pack bags takes more steps and is more fussy than competing products. It WORKS but the whole business with the flap that hangs over the top of the frame and the short/tight strap that runs through it feels to me like it takes a few minutes longer than other products.

- The storage in the Sawtooth 45 is frustrating but usable. The lid is very floppy and hard to access without dumping everything if you load anything more than a few items in it, and the three internal pockets have no structure so same. But it's livable. In the Beartooth it's just magnified to the point where I actively hate it. IMO they should have made the lid 1 compartment instead of 2 and expandable, which would make it usable for light, bulky items like my sleeping bag on long trips, while adding a few vertical pockets with external zips along the back or side panels for things like battery chargers, med kits, etc.

- MR's accessories are not very good, especially things like belt pouches and the "day lid" (the extended version of the "lid" that has straps to use as a tiny, ineffective day pack.) I've had really good luck with Kifaru's Belt Pouch (I like the Medium, YMMV) instead.

I was talked into the MR pack line by a friend. I'm keeping it and I'm going to make it work for me, but I have some regrets. I'm not sure why this brand has such a rabid following. I feel like their product development has stalled and they're messing around with secondary products like the "Urban Assault" (LOL, so day traders can pretend to be "outdoorsy"?) rather than focusing on hunters and their needs.

rclouse79

WKR
My son is 14 and was complaining about his women’s frame rei garage sale backpacking pack while packing his deer out last year. We are doing a family backpacking trip this weekend, so I bought him a Beartooth 80 early to use on the trip. I am impressed with the apparent quality, bag design and meat shelf. If you decide to get one, shop around online. I found the camo version for $377 out of San Antonio. No tax or shipping and the tag on the pack says $639.

ManBun

FNG
I’ve used the MR beartooth for 3 seasons now and have packed out around a couple dozen deer/elk that I have shot or friend and families have anywhere from 700 yards to 10 miles from the truck. Below are my pros and cons

Pros:
Durable/Bombproof, after the hunt I throw bag in washing machine at home and it comes out looking new every time. No holes, rips, tears, etc…
Load Shelf, takes one min to break down pack to access load shelf for hauling meat!
Organization, I like the pockets that are in the bag for easy to access if needed.
Comfortable for me under 80lbs.

Con’s:
Heavy, couple friends have a couple different brands packs that are about the same size and there packs are lighter.
Bag slips on lower back with more than 80lbs, I’ve tried different methods of shifting the weight on the pack but I believe the load shelf is designed to low putting the weight lower than the hip belt.
Buckles of horseshoe zipper, you have to unbuckle from the frame on the side every time you want to get in the side of the main compartment of the bag, it gets annoying!

OP
H
I hunt with some fellows that all had guide light MT framed mystery ranch packs. One of them was a beartooth, the others were a sawtooth, Metcalf, and Marshall. They’ve all got EXO packs now. Each one talked about pack slip under heavy load that they don’t get with EXO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, good to know. How heavy are we talking?

OP
H
I’ve used the MR beartooth for 3 seasons now and have packed out around a couple dozen deer/elk that I have shot or friend and families have anywhere from 700 yards to 10 miles from the truck. Below are my pros and cons

Pros:
Durable/Bombproof, after the hunt I throw bag in washing machine at home and it comes out looking new every time. No holes, rips, tears, etc…
Load Shelf, takes one min to break down pack to access load shelf for hauling meat!
Organization, I like the pockets that are in the bag for easy to access if needed.
Comfortable for me under 80lbs.

Con’s:
Heavy, couple friends have a couple different brands packs that are about the same size and there packs are lighter.
Bag slips on lower back with more than 80lbs, I’ve tried different methods of shifting the weight on the pack but I believe the load shelf is designed to low putting the weight lower than the hip belt.
Buckles of horseshoe zipper, you have to unbuckle from the frame on the side every time you want to get in the side of the main compartment of the bag, it gets annoying!
Thanks, if you knew what you did now would you still buy it or would you go for something else? I find myself with approx 75-90 lbs on most trips if I’m successful, would you think there was a better option for me?

ManBun

FNG
Thanks, if you knew what you did now would you still buy it or would you go for something else? I find myself with approx 75-90 lbs on most trips if I’m successful, would you think there was a better option for me?
For myself I would look at a different pack, but everyone has different body types and some packs will fit better than others. If you can I would try on different packs first before buying.
I will say both my buddies love there Exo K4 and Stone Glacier Xcurve packs!