Thorofare Outfitters Wyoming

280ack

FNG
I saw some nice Muley's on my hunt with Constant Quest. I was told they were pretty erratic on numbers in the area, but I managed to glass a nice one almost everyday. This was on later season elk migration hunt.
Sir, Where is that CQ camp located ? I am planning a migration hunt in Unit 60 and have the last week of unit 60 booked. I have a bunch of questions, What was the weather like for temps & snow, what elevations did you hunt and how were the migrations for elk and deer?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sir, Where is that CQ camp located ? I am planning a migration hunt in Unit 60 and have the last week of unit 60 booked. I have a bunch of questions, What was the weather like for temps & snow, what elevations did you hunt and how were the migrations for elk and deer?
Lots of those questions are best done through PMs

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider

Sorry, out of respect for the outfitter I'll leave it at over Deer Creek Pass around 3 hours on horseback. Temps for mid October ranged from highs in mid 30's to some nights around 0. Got major snow fall only 2 hunting days luckily.

TN VOL77

FNG
I dug this post up researching hunting in Thorofare, does anyone have any experience of when the best dates to hunt are historically? The outfitter I'm looking at only has the last two hunts in October available..my concern is the elk will be pressured or pushed away from their camps after the first two groups of rifle hunters hunt..this hunt will be for 2021. I know people say if you hunt the later hunts you can get into migration, but I would anticipate the percentage of that to be low, I wouldn't think there would be enough snow in Yellowstone in October to push the elk out much. This will be for Unit 60..thanks for any advice!

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
A good friend of mine used to outfit there. The later hunts is usually when the big bulls are killed. The earlier hunts have better weather and you'll see more animals.

TN VOL77

FNG
Sorry, out of respect for the outfitter I'll leave it at over Deer Creek Pass around 3 hours on horseback. Temps for mid October ranged from highs in mid 30's to some nights around 0. Got major snow fall only 2 hunting days luckily.
A good friend of mine used to outfit there. The later hunts is usually when the big bulls are killed. The earlier hunts have better weather and you'll see more animals.
Before I ask this question I understand it's hunting and nothing is guarantee, but I'm putting a hunt together for a group..there's 6 of us, and the obvious goal is for all 6 of us to get a bull..not looking to be picky on what bull we harvest.(none of us has killed a bull..only cows) With the chance of seeing more animals on the earlier September hunts would you recommend going then instead of Oct 7-14?? I've also heard that the earlier hunts can be on the warmer side and the elk timber up..maybe its a crap shoot, all of the outfitters I've spoken with are booked years in advance for the sept rifle hunts...I'm a bit torn on what to do

OP
pchrisla

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Before I ask this question I understand it's hunting and nothing is guarantee, but I'm putting a hunt together for a group..there's 6 of us, and the obvious goal is for all 6 of us to get a bull..not looking to be picky on what bull we harvest.(none of us has killed a bull..only cows) With the chance of seeing more animals on the earlier September hunts would you recommend going then instead of Oct 7-14?? I've also heard that the earlier hunts can be on the warmer side and the elk timber up..maybe its a crap shoot, all of the outfitters I've spoken with are booked years in advance for the sept rifle hunts...I'm a bit torn on what to do
I've never hunted there during rut, but from what I've heard it is a lot of action. There is a good sized resident herd in the area. My later hunt was all animals migrating from the park. We learned their travel patterns and set ourselves up for success. That being said, every person in camp had a great opportunity at a 5x5 or better. Two did not tag out due to their own doing. I wouldn't hesitate doing a migration hunt if you are comfortable making shots in the true field.

TN VOL77

FNG
I've never hunted there during rut, but from what I've heard it is a lot of action. There is a good sized resident herd in the area. My later hunt was all animals migrating from the park. We learned their travel patterns and set ourselves up for success. That being said, every person in camp had a great opportunity at a 5x5 or better. Two did not tag out due to their own doing. I wouldn't hesitate doing a migration hunt if you are comfortable making shots in the true field.
For Unit 60 the late hunt would be Oct 15-22, is that late enough for a migration hunt in that unit historically..?

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I killed my biggest bull ever last month in the Thorofare with my bow. I was in that camp and it snowed 2 feet on Labor Day. We rode in 2 days later on Wed, and it was melting pretty quick. I killed mine on Thursday. It was a magical day. screaming bulls all day, drew back on 2 in the morning, but bad winds got us. Finally had a good wind in the afternoon and put a stalk on mine.

Savagenut

WKR
Do three folks have a website. I have two points for Wyoming and looking to hunt in 2021