Thor bullet consistency?

My test kit showed 0.501 was perfect for my Accura MRX 50cal. Ordered those. So far 2 in the first pack would not load, just like the 0.502's.

So for my CO elk hunt I'm going to prep by putting a half dozen or so down the barrel and putting those in my kit. So that I'm not trying to load a follow up shot and have it not work!!!!!

So far the Thor 300's and ELDX 340's shoot great with both 100 and 115 grains of BH209. Haven't decided if the extra 100 or so fps is worth it???? I'm using a break so recoil isn't a concern.

Im at the belief that if you want to shoot a bore to bore bullet you need to use a sizing die to be consistent.
This^^^^ with jacketed or mono bullets. (Of course with lead conicals, the softness gives you some leeway.)

Anyone serious about shooting Thors who is having issues with bullets fitting just right every time should get an adjustable sizing die. Problem solved.

IMG_6971.jpeg

MNTrapper

FNG
I had a great system worked up for here in MN but had to change up for CO. I'm not losing a lot of sleep over it but I have almost zero positive customer service from Thor after over a week of trying to connect. Tried voice mail and email. I got one short email reply 3 days ago that said someone will get back to me right away...umm..yea...3 days ago.
for the price of thor bullets I dont think I should have to buy 150.00 tool to fix their quality control issues. Ill be back to shooting T-ez with sabots as soon as possible. One positive tho is I finally forced myself to switch to BH209...that I won't be changing back

I've had no issues with the ELDX's loading just on the fence if they are a good choice for my CO elk hunt. I don't plan on shooting over 100 yards, like to keep if less than 50. I've shot elk with my 300 win mag and the ELDX's but most over 500 yards. To me an awesome long range bullet.

I've had no issues with the ELDX's loading just on the fence if they are a good choice for my CO elk hunt. I don't plan on shooting over 100 yards, like to keep if less than 50. I've shot elk with my 300 win mag and the ELDX's but most over 500 yards. To me an awesome long range bullet.
I don’t think you can assume the ELDX muzzy bullets’ terminal performance will be the same as centerfire ELDXs.

That's what I'm worried about. Dug one out of the ground (soft) behind my 50 yard target and not much left, total separation of jacket and core. Made me start researching Thor's and listening to your posts!!!!!

That's what I'm worried about. Dug one out of the ground (soft) behind my 50 yard target and not much left, total separation of jacket and core. Made me start researching Thor's and listening to your posts!!!!!
Some more reading on the eldx

ElDiablito,

What are your thoughts on the Hornady 290 grain FTX's. The Hornady podcast suggests (offhand comment), that they may be a better elk bullet for shots under 100 yards than the ELDX. Hmmmmm They also shoot great from my MRX.

If accuracy is not affected by increased load, do you think there is an advantage to the increased velocity in expansion for the Thor? I do have a muzzle break so recoil isn't an issue. As stated before I'm going to try and keep my shots under 100 yards, preferably less than 50. But having hunted this area 5 other time with a rifle its pretty wide open and not great for archery/muzzle loader distances. My friend and guide said be ready for a 200 yard shot. Don't think I'll take that shot. I've only hunted 3rd season for bulls so not sure if we can call them in closer during the rut. Sorry I'm an engineer and over analyze everything. Can't say here what my wife call its:p

ElDiablito,

What are your thoughts on the Hornady 290 grain FTX's. The Hornady podcast suggests (offhand comment), that they may be a better elk bullet for shots under 100 yards than the ELDX. Hmmmmm They also shoot great from my MRX.

If accuracy is not affected by increased load, do you think there is an advantage to the increased velocity in expansion for the Thor? I do have a muzzle break so recoil isn't an issue. As stated before I'm going to try and keep my shots under 100 yards, preferably less than 50. But having hunted this area 5 other time with a rifle its pretty wide open and not great for archery/muzzle loader distances. My friend and guide said be ready for a 200 yard shot. Don't think I'll take that shot. I've only hunted 3rd season for bulls so not sure if we can call them in closer during the rut. Sorry I'm an engineer and over analyze everything. Can't say here what my wife call its:p
Since you’re an over-analyzer 😉 I’ll throw some more “data” at you.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/hornady-50-caliber-bore-driver-ftx.39356/

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/350-4g-bore-driver-eld-x.58070/

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/300g-thor-80g-blackhorn.28738/

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/460g-no-excuses.33684/

If you’re really going to shoot a mature bull at 50 yards or less, you might consider a big lead (460-600 gr) conical. I’m hunting moose this year in CO with a 600 gr lead conical and I expect shots to be less than 100 yards.

Will any of those bullets kill an elk or a moose at sun-200 yard ranges? Yes (with the right shot angle). Ideally, I want a bullet that will work with any reasonable angle and give me an exit would.

Yes, I’d bump up the powder charge to as much as you can handle. The Thors will expand in textbook style at close range but more velocity would be nice if you end up taking a long shot.