This Bikini Frame....

DIY

WKR
Has got me thinking. I have the Duplex frame and just got last year. Not sure if I should sell duplex and get bikini. Would I appreciate the difference? or even notice it. Ive read all the reviews and watched all videos 2x-3x. Im always looking to improve gear and weight.

Losing sleep over this..

Has got me thinking. I have the Duplex frame and just got last year. Not sure if I should sell duplex and get bikini. Would I appreciate the difference? or even notice it. Ive read all the reviews and watched all videos 2x-3x. Im always looking to improve gear and weight.

Losing sleep over this..

Its not something to lose sleep over.

Do you want to save roughly 1.5 lbs? If you do, then you'll have to sell the Duplex and spend a little money to get the bikini. If you use your frame to haul big awkward objects like treestands and what not you'd be better off with the duplex. If you want it for more backpacking then get the bikini.

Beastmode

WKR
From what I have found out reading it is more comfortable. This is only a few opinions that have actually tried it on. If you have the money buy one and try it while keeping your duplex frame. Whichever one uou like better keep and sell the other one. My duplex fits me incredibly well and I don't have the funds to upgrade. I also don't want to get rid of my duplex because it fits me so well.

sk1

WKR
hard to say on the weight difference if it is truly worth it, but at the same time every ounce counts because they all add up. there are only so many places in your gear to drop that much weight with one piece of equipment.

i had the DT1 late last year, and it was awesome....I didn't complain about it's weight even once i had all my attachments on it, because it fit so great it doesnt seem heavy. I do remember though when I had my Kuiu Icon 5000, when I picked it up I was always like wow this pack is so light!! Now, to have my already incredible kifaru pack at that weight?? it just makes an already great pack even better IMO.

you should be able to sell your frame for around $300 to $325 used if in good shape, so it's not that much of a loss.....but even if you keep what you have, that isn't really a loss either!

JG358

WKR
I went up to Kifaru to take one for a test drive yesterday. Night and day difference over my Duplex. Freadom of movement with the Bikini frame is far better than with my Duplex.

TEmbry

WKR
The difference between your used duplex and a new bikini should be less than 100 bucks, I know guys who have literally spent 5-10x that amount upgrading gear to cut the same amount of weight...

No brainer to me.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I've done two trips with the bikini frame so far (35lbs, 50lbs) and I can tell you there definitely is a difference in the feel of this frame then the duplex. I used a buddies duplex a lil last year and it was fine and worked like a champ as a insane weight hauler. BUT the lower end of the scale is where the bikini frame really excels. Weight from about 50lbs and less are going to ride more comfortable with the bikini. So your pack in is better and once your over the 80lb mark it really stiffens up and the frame hauls very close to a duplex. I truly think its worth the upgrade. Just like others have said above - sell your frame and that will cover 80-90% of the cost and the weight saving between the two frame for the cost difference is way easier on the pocket book then buying gear to lose the weight.

I find my duplex extremely comfortable so I look forward to trying my Bikini with a T2. The duplex works great for my treestands and ground blinds. Bikini should be great for backpack camping

OP
D

DIY

WKR
my concern is it as durable and built like a tank like a duplex and how does it feel with large amounts of weight on ? If it feels as good as a duplex or better and lighter I think it is a good thing. If under heavy loads it feels worse than duplex id rather have duplex

armyjoe

Super Moderator
From my experience and its nowhere even close to the time that Aron has spent using the frame, is that at heavy loads its going to feel like the duplex. Definitely isn't going to feel worse. Lower weights it felt better and heavy weight it feels the same as a duplex. Everyone has a different feel for packs when they are on their backs but I did a quick loop around my block with 83lbs and to me it felt no different then the duplex with that much weight. It was comfortable with that weight, or a comfortable as it can be. Maybe see if anyone around you has one on order and when they gets theirs, go meet them to try it on and get a feel for it before you make the plunge.

6t4nova

WKR
I've tried Arons on. It's a great design and is super comfortable. I wouldn't worry one bit about it not being built like a tank or not handling heavy loads.

JG358

WKR
my concern is it as durable and built like a tank like a duplex and how does it feel with large amounts of weight on ? If it feels as good as a duplex or better and lighter I think it is a good thing. If under heavy loads it feels worse than duplex id rather have duplex

The one that Aron loaded and threw off the roof is still going strong so I don't think durability is gonna be an issue. I only had had 50ish lbs in it but to me, it was far more comfortable than my duplex and less restricting. I was also surprised that the bikini is more rigid than the duplex. Dropping a bit of weight is just icing on the cake.

It is a great design but I do not plan to jump ship from the duplex so soon. If they came out with it at the same time then I would have bought it. A bit irritated about the new innovation coming out 1 yr later but that is life.

Yukondog

WKR
I have thought about the design of the bikini frame. I know nothing about packs and what goes into them. I do know I used my duplex frame for my DT1 bag and also as a hauler. I have built up a system with the duplex frame as a day pack as well with cargo panel and a couple pockets. I like having the sheet of the duplex frame to keep the pockets off my back. I would imagine that hauling deboned meat between the cargo panel and bikini frame might cause some issues. That being the meat coming through the bikini frame might start to rub on your back.

I don't know that that would happen but is something I have thought about. Ask yourself how you will be using the frame and I think that will help make up your mind.

Matt

sk1

WKR
It is a great design but I do not plan to jump ship from the duplex so soon. If they came out with it at the same time then I would have bought it. A bit irritated about the new innovation coming out 1 yr later but that is life.

pretty sure they are working on more new products, you better not buy kifaru anymore if you dont like new innovation constantly :p

just messing with ya, i got mine in november 2012 and sold the dt frame in january. hauled out 2 elk and loved it, but for the minimal loss selling the frame, couldnt resist the bikini!

Vandal 44

WKR
I had the Duplex Frame for about 3 years and its still going strong, like everyone has said the Duplex is an unbelievabel hauler and can take some serious abuse. The one problem with the Duplex frame in my opinoin is when shoot my bow with the Duplex on. That's the only issue I have, it's not like I shoot all the time with a pack on but it will happen from time to time.

I ordered the Bikini Frame and will be testing it out while shooting my bow and packing heavy loads. When I get the Bikini I will post a video testing both packs side by side. I will not be throwing them off the roof of my house or rolling them down the side of a mountain, I will leave that kind of testing to Aron and his crew.

I am going to keep both the Duplex and the Bikini you never know when a buddy will need to help you pack out an elk, and when they do help I want them to be comfortable. It's the least I can do for them.

Exactly. I think I will end up adding the bikini to the line up and keep the duplex rather than replace it. Kifaru rocks!