Thinking about Savage 110 Ultralight.

leoneli

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to get another gun wanting it chambered in 6.5 PRC. I currently have a Tikka roughtech in 300 win mag and I absolutely love it. But I am looking into maybe getting something a little lighter. My dad has a custom build 6.5 PRC built off of a tikka action with a proof barrel and a Mesa stock. I love this gun but as a 18 year old college student the 2000 dollar price point is hard to take. If I can get a 110 ultralight for 1200 bucks I want to know if it is worth it. I just want to know if it is truly a precision rifle. If its capable of shooting half a MOA out to 4-500 yards like my tikka can. I have no expectation of the action being as good as the tikka but I want to know if it is really that bad. If anyone has one I would love some feedback. It is tough to find real quantifiable data of 800 yards+ on this gun. Looking for some insight I have no issue getting another tikka just thought is seemed like an excellent option if it is as good as it seems.

I have an ultralight in 6.5 creed and it is a hammer. It shot 1/2” with factory ammo pretty easily. I wasn’t a big fan of the stock so I put it in an XLR chassis and have shot a lot of 1/4” group’s with it. A few months ago I actually shot my smallest group ever, 3 shots from 100y, measured .125”. The action isn’t the best but I don’t think it’s as bad as some make it out to be. Just run it firm and you shouldn’t have any issues. One thing to look into is savages are known to have extraction issues. Mine did but it’s an easy fix. For the cost I think you will be pretty happy.

Chanimal

FNG
I like my Ultralite 6.5 PRC, mine is shooting 1/2-3/4MOA with my handloads. I'll echo what has been said above about the stock, I placed a black Friday order for an XLR chassis to replace the factory one. The action also hasn't bothered me too much. I do wish it was on a longer action, but if you don't handload that shouldn't come into your decision making.

I handled a tikka in 6.5 PRC recently and if that was an option when I bought my UL it would have been a tough decision for me between the two for sure.

EDIT: Lots of chit chat and reviews in this thread:

Last edited:
OP
leoneli

leoneli

Lil-Rokslider
Can I ask what your issue with the stock was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chanimal

FNG
Can I ask what your issue with the stock was?

I don't have any 'issues', the stock works and the gun shoots well, but the stock is pretty flexible, and I don't like the flexibility. The stock is comfortable to shoot. I would try and get your hands on one and check it out.

OP
leoneli

leoneli

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any 'issues', the stock works and the gun shoots well, but the stock is pretty flexible, and I don't like the feel. I would try and get your hands on one and check it out.

Alright Thankyou all

jjam

FNG
I have one in 300wsm and absolutely love it. I just wish it had a camo stock

Out of the gate mine shot commercial ELD-M under your MOA requirement. With hand-loads it is even better. No issues going past 1K (excluding incorrect wind calls).

With that said. I’d take a hard look at the Tikka.

EDIT: lots of variables on group size that are beyond the rifle itself. While important I wouldn’t get too hung up on it. Be silly to be disappointed in .6 instead of .5, for example.

Last edited:
You could get a savage more accurate than a tikka or vise versa. Same compared to a custom. But a savage will always have a savage action..

I have one in 300 wsm and really like it. Roman noodles and frozen pizzas made my college beer fund possible. I couldn’t imaging trying to have a hunting set up capable of more then 200 yards back then !