Thinking about giving up reloading/selling my setup...

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been reloading (mostly rifle) for nearly a decade and while I love it, it is very time consuming for me. I have a young family and another kiddo due mid January. I average around 1,000 hours Overtime from March to September (wildland firefighter) which doesn’t include my regular 40/wk during the winter months. So like the post says, I am thinking about getting out of the game.

My question is: if I do go this route, I’ll need a way to obtain ammunition. Would it be advantageous to go through a company like Unknown Munitions for a little bit of target practice then hunting ammo? Curious to hear what you folks have to say....TIA

In case you havnt peeked at ammo sales lately....Now is not the time I’d consider, being that ammo is so scarce there’s a good chance guys going to buy a box or 2 are going to be met with empty shelves. I’d atleast wait till things have settled.

Ammo is scarce, to say the least. If Biden is elected, good luck finding anything, ammo or reloading comps. At a minimum, check on ammo availability before deciding.

Keep the setup, buy factory ammo your rifle likes when you find it. If possible buy a case or two of the same lot number. Then when you have time after kids are out of diapers or in the winter when you’re not working OT, crank out some handloads.
Or have Unknown or Copper Creek build some loads for your rifle, find out which one it likes best, and order more. Then save the brass, ship it back to them, and have them load more for you.
But keep the setup, just in case you need it down the road!

I have to agree, keep the setup, ammo is non existent today. You can always take a decade off and know you can start backup, reloading component costs are only going to keep increasing yet the advances in tech really aren’t going to be much.

☝🏻
this
I just got my setup out of the boxes it’s been in for the last 10 years. I also was working tons of OT and when I was not at work kids and household responsibilities took precedence. It’s crazy how fast that all changes though. Now one of mine is in the National Guard and studying to be a doctor and the other will be driving soon. I don’t regret packing the reloading stuff up at all, but I’m sure glad I held onto it. Now when the boys are out chasing girls all night and the wife’s not “in the mood” I can be in the garage building rounds. All the components store well. Just keep your powder and primers in the back of your safe. Prices never go down on this stuff so if you sell now and get back into it later, you’ll see what inflation really means...
In the mean time, you can squirrel away components a little at a time as they become a available and be set for when life gets a little easier for you.
Good Luck

I haven't reloaded anything in a few years but there's no way I'd sell my equipment. Put it on a box and keep it nice and dry you'll come back to it some day

How much do you shoot? Are you into long range hunting? If your like a lot of guys I know that reload they shoot a bit and hunt out to 300 or 400 yards. If that is the case you can easily get buy with quality factory stuff.

Back