Thinking about a large bore short barrel suppressor host rifle...

OP
M

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
From a practical standpoint I'd go 300 wsm, a short 338 gains you nothing, and bullets are twice the price.
But from a want standpoint get whatever excites you the most and have fun
I do keep coming back to the 300 WSM. It seems to have stuck around and none of the latest 30 cal rounds seem to do what it does any better. 300 PRC is an absolute cannon with a huge action, which really hurts my goal here...

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 300 WSM Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT for this very purpose. It has an 18.5" barrel and shoots great. I haven't chrono'd it yet. My suppressor is still in jail, but all in with a heavy scope it will be 7.5 lbs.

Bluefish

WKR
I have several 35 cal rifles in various chamberings. The issue with them is bullet bc is relatively low, mid .4 at best unless single loading long bullets. 200g are .3-.35 ish. Next build may be a tikka in 35 Whelen.
Imho 8.6 is a solution looking for a problem. Subsonic performance is really all about bullet weight as you can’t increase energy with speed. Also bullet drag is very low so bc is less important. many other cartridges can match or exceed its energy with bullets designed for sub sonic speeds. 458 socom, 45-70, 450 bm and they are factory loadings. The 450 bm also fits in a ar-15, not ar-10.

wyosam

WKR
I just put together my Tikka 338-284- just a few rounds down the tube so not much data yet, but seems to be a shooter. It’s a 20” 1:9. Don’t shoot it suppressed, just like short and handy. Necking up Peterson 284 win brass was simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk