Things to Look For

When you guys are all shopping backpacks, what're the top things you consider other than weight, volume, fit, etc? I'm going to be in the market soon and want to make sure I'm looking for the right things. Thanks!

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Too vague of a question. There are too many different situations for ideal packs. What are you wanting to do specifically with your new pack. Some are better at handling heavy loads, some have better organization, some are better for packing optics, some are best for day use etc. etc.
But above all what you already mentioned fit and feel are top priority.

OP
E
Too vague of a question. There are too many different situations for ideal packs. What are you wanting to do specifically with your new pack. Some are better at handling heavy loads, some have better organization, some are better for packing optics, some are best for day use etc. etc.
Fair enough! I'm going on my first DIY elk hunt in CO this year. Going to need a pack for that.

Taudisio

WKR
I went for bombproof that can carry the most weight-kifaru was what I landed on. Very interchangeable and versatile setup, but heavier bare pack weight.

I am not nice to my equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpeg
    IMG_2417.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 40
OP
E
I went for bombproof that can carry the most weight-kifaru was what I landed on. Very interchangeable and versatile setup, but heavier bare pack weight.

I am not nice to my equipment.
I probably fall in that category as well haha

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you need to consider
1. Are you planning on doing this regularly or is it just a bucket list hunt? I wouldn’t put much thought in it beyond fit and comfort if this is a one time thing.
2. Whatever your answer to the above is you might consider resale value as you’re likely going to try something different (at least the bag) or just unload it because you don’t want to go again.
3. The top tier brands have their own theme in bag layout. If you’re an experienced backpacker or you’re into bushcraft you’ll gravitate to one or another. For example Seek Outside packs are like a thru-hiker bag on a hunting frame, kuiu is a backpacker layout, Stone Glaicer is very sheep hunting specific (can work for other hunts), Exo is a good western hunting themed layout, kifaru will have the most versatility. There’s other good options too, these are just the most common in the classifieds.
4. If buying used, a well used pack look it over for any wear that’s on the verge of breaking or needing attention. Broken buckles, heavy wear on the bottom, foam in the suspension worn out, frame damage, zippers etc. Not saying you shouldn’t buy a pack in that condition, just pay a fair price and know what it needs.
5. Does the camo match your clothes? 😉 just kidding but camo or not to me is a personal preference, I wouldn’t buy something that I thought was ugly.

vladkgb

FNG
Another thing to look for is noise, my MR beartooth was very noisy, creaking as I walk. Also lumbar support. My MR doesn't have much of a lumbar support leaving only the flimsy hip belt to keep the bag from sagging down while packing out. Required constant readjusting. My k4 solved these issues.

OP
E
I think you need to consider
1. Are you planning on doing this regularly or is it just a bucket list hunt? I wouldn’t put much thought in it beyond fit and comfort if this is a one time thing.
2. Whatever your answer to the above is you might consider resale value as you’re likely going to try something different (at least the bag) or just unload it because you don’t want to go again.
3. The top tier brands have their own theme in bag layout. If you’re an experienced backpacker or you’re into bushcraft you’ll gravitate to one or another. For example Seek Outside packs are like a thru-hiker bag on a hunting frame, kuiu is a backpacker layout, Stone Glaicer is very sheep hunting specific (can work for other hunts), Exo is a good western hunting themed layout, kifaru will have the most versatility. There’s other good options too, these are just the most common in the classifieds.
4. If buying used, a well used pack look it over for any wear that’s on the verge of breaking or needing attention. Broken buckles, heavy wear on the bottom, foam in the suspension worn out, frame damage, zippers etc. Not saying you shouldn’t buy a pack in that condition, just pay a fair price and know what it needs.
5. Does the camo match your clothes? just kidding but camo or not to me is a personal preference, I wouldn’t buy something that I thought was ugly.

This was a great, well thought out answer thank you so much. Im really hoping hunting sticks for me, just a little worried it won't. Dad grew up hunting year-round whatever was in season and imparted some wisdom in us but working 3rd shift with 4 boys all playing sports year round he didn't have much time to take us out a lot. Moved out to CO about 4 years ago and loved watching hunting videos of the west before then. Seemed to difficult to get into on my own until I met my gfs family. I've always been interested, just didn't have someone to teach me tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was a great, well thought out answer thank you so much. Im really hoping hunting sticks for me, just a little worried it won't. Dad grew up hunting year-round whatever was in season and imparted some wisdom in us but working 3rd shift with 4 boys all playing sports year round he didn't have much time to take us out a lot. Moved out to CO about 4 years ago and loved watching hunting videos of the west before then. Seemed to difficult to get into on my own until I met my gfs family. I've always been interested, just didn't have someone to teach me tbh.

Well since you’re a resident you might already be into or get into some light climbing or backpacking. That’s another thing the pack can be used for. A hunting frame that can sandwich meat between the frame and bag can also hold rope, snowshoes. With the attachment points you can use cinch straps to hold ice axe, crampons, helmet. Just saying that the pack investment definitely isn’t just for hunting.

OP
E
Well since you’re a resident you might already be into or get into some light climbing or backpacking. That’s another thing the pack can be used for. A hunting frame that can sandwich meat between the frame and bag can also hold rope, snowshoes. With the attachment points you can use cinch straps to hold ice axe, crampons, helmet. Just saying that the pack investment definitely isn’t just for hunting.

For sure... And to be honest I have a hard time buying cheap things anymore anyhow, everything I buy I try to make an investment, even if I end up not using it usually you can resell good quality gear for a good chunk of change. Can't say the same about the cheap shit.

TaperPin

WKR
I fell into the too big trap one year and bought a monster hauler thinking it will be really nice having everything for 5 days tucked easily into the main bag. It did that fine, but it was too tall and too bulky to be a decent day pack for the majority of it’s use.

40 liters or 4000 cubic inches is about right in my mind - you’ll have to lash some stuff on the outside to haul a full week long camp, but you’ll appreciate how nimble it is the rest of the week. It’s not for everyone, but even better is a custom 1/2 pack that attaches to the bottom 1/2 of a good pack frame. More stuff gets lashed on to carry an entire camp, but it’s nimble and compact - litterally ideal for day hunting and packing an animal out.

The Kifaru packs I have range from 6500 to 7200 CI. And both cinch down the size of roughly a 2200. No such thing as too big if it's a Kifaru. And they compact down for day use mode like no other.