Thermal/NV predator kills

Split toe

WKR
I did not see a thread dedicated to the videos, so I am going to start one. Anybody feel free to post their videos.

People who hunt close to homes often scan with themal and shoot with NV. The main reason is you don't want to shoot someones pet dog. House dogs will occasionally come to predator calls. It can be hard to tell a coyote from a house dog with thermal. It can also be hard to tell a large fox from a small coyote. Some states like mine, NC, don't allow foxes to be shot at night. NV allows you to better ID the heat source you have spotted with the thermal scanner. If you always hunt away from civilization and pet dogs aren't an issue, then thermal scanners and scopes may be right for you if you have the jack.

NVT2021

FNG
I've been a dealer for both Night Vision and Thermals for many years. I've also used both for hunting. In my opinion ... Thermal Optics will get you much better clarity and distance.
Here is a break down of Pro's and Con's:
Pro's to Thermal:
  • Prices continue to go down while quality and sensitivity of sensors is going up (handheld models starting at $500)
  • The clear images allow you to see exactly what you are looking at
  • The distance at which you can identify and determine a target is fantastic
  • You will see animals in areas that you never could before (dense brush, wooded areas, high grass, etc.)
  • Weapon Mounted Thermal Scopes have very good reticles allowing you to engage accurately
  • Size and weight of Thermals are getting smaller and lighter
  • You can use in day or night environment
  • User interface and zeroing is very easy and user friendly
  • Most have wi-fi capability and recording capabilities as well
  • Thermals see differences in temperature (hot and cold) it doesn't matter what kind of light there is (zero moon light to bright areas)
Con's to Thermal:
  • Prices are still higher then most night vision scopes (weapon mounted thermal sight average $2500-$3500 starting)
  • If you have a weapon mounted system you will have to scan the area with your weapon up (can get tiring unless you are using a tri-pod or aiming sticks)
  • Cheaper thermals do not see as far or as clear
  • Many average consumers don't understand the specifications to look for in thermals and therefore choose the wrong optic for their application or spend more then necessary.
  • They can not be integrated in with an IR aiming laser (used with night vision devices)
  • Helmet or head mounted thermals are still very expensive (there are some available...but prices can be $6K-$10K
Pro's to Night Vision:
  • Technology keeps getting better and cheaper for night vision (quality NV weapon sight - starting $1500ish)
  • Digital night vision can see longer distances and has more clarity
  • user interface and zeroing of weapon mounted sights is easier and more user friendly
  • Helmet mounted capability as well as weapon mounted with a single tube Night Vision Device (PVS-14)
  • IR Aiming lasers visible only through night vision device can be weapon mounted and zeroed making target acquisition and hunting predators on the run much easier.
  • Helmet mounted Night Vision Device allows user to scan the area without needing to raise ...and hold weapon up

Con's to Night Vision:
  • distance and clarity are still lacking vs. thermals
  • Night Vision is reliant on ambient light ....or an IR Illuminator (IR Flashlight to light up the area you want to see (which is an additional expense)
  • Night vision typically you are seeing a target based on color, contrast, and movement (Which means you can easily miss seeing an animal until it is moving)
  • If you are using a helmet mount night vision you will want to get some type of IR aiming laser (possibly one integrated with an IR Illuminator) which is an additional expense.
  • If you are using a night vision weapon mounted scope you will need to scan the area with your weapon up (gets tiring unless you are using a tri-pod or aiming sticks)
  • There are so many different models out now that some average consumers have a hard time knowing what to get and sometimes will choose the wrong optic for the application or spend more money then necessary
Hope all this helps....Feel free to reach out if you have additional questions or need recommendations. I have a passion for this type of stuff and for helping others getting what is the right set up for them and not breaking the bank.
-Will

yotehunt

FNG
Does anyone still use FLIR RS-64 Thermal Optics......???
Heck no. FLIR can eat it. Everyone who has a FLIR or old Armasight still wants way to much for old tech. Sold my new in box 640 last year for 3K, and was lucky to get that, even though it was a $5500 kit.