The Topic is knives.

I’m looking for a new skinning knife. I’ve had the same one for 18 years. It’s a hand made knife someone gave me. However cleaning an average of 10 deer a year it’s getting harder and harder to keep sharp. Also lack of sharpening skills has rounded the tip pretty bad. So I bought a bench made meat crafter knife. It’s okay but dulls quick. I bought a havilon but the blades pop off. The last time I was using it the knife blade popped off inside the deer. I thought this is going to end with stitches. ‘
I was looking at trying an another havolin, but like a good fixed blade so I’m also looking at something like A agrila or goat knife. ’Any thoughts.

Dented

WKR
I'd try a good professional sharpening first. Skip the guy at the flea market with the grinder, go to a knife maker or someone who handles high end knives. I've used a guy in Seattle that was amazing, had to ship him knives but they came back ungodly sharp. Didn't matter if they were kitchen or hunting knives. Reprofiled and the edges cleaned up. I'll see if I can find his contact info.

Taudisio

WKR
You could try the gerber or outdoor edge replacement blade knives. Different blade locking mechanisms.

rclouse79

WKR
I would maybe try another havalon, or send that one back. I have never experienced a blade popping off and have used one on an animal or three for the last 20 years. I did have trouble getting the blade off when it was covered in bear fat, but those little plastic blade removers make it a snap.
I tried an outdoor edge and like the design, but didn’t feel like they were as sharp or held their edge as long.

For the last several years I’ve used a North arm knives Lynx and Bird & trout and also a few of their filet knives.

Mine are all S35VN and they now use CMP Magna-cut. It’s supposed to be better. I’ll be ordering another just to find out.
Also a plus that their sheaths are spectacular.

Guessing you bought the cheaper Meat crafter with the CMP-154 rather than the high dollar one with S45VN steel.

Any idea how/why the blade popped off on your havalon? I wonder if it was just a one-off with that particular knife…

I have been using a havalon for years and have never had an issue. The trickiest part for me is getting the blade off when it’s covered in fat. I typically use a leatherman to avoid any accidents.

Reactions: ODB

Dented

WKR
I've got these knives, both filet and the bird/ trout. Fantastic stuff, they go with me everywhere I hunt and fish.

Worth every penny I spent.
For the last several years I’ve used a North arm knives Lynx and Bird & trout and also a few of their filet knives.

Mine are all S35VN and they now use CMP Magna-cut. It’s supposed to be better. I’ll be ordering another just to find out.
Also a plus that their sheaths are spectacular.

Guessing you bought the cheaper Meat crafter with the CMP-154 rather than the high dollar one with S45VN steel.

jpadia

FNG
Any chance we see the handmade one you have now? It can probably be fixed and it can help us make recommendations. If you just want a new blade, there are affordable custom options out there if you have an idea of what you want in a skinning blade. Check some of the threads on here that show some of the custom makers that members like.

ODB

WKR
I have lots of knives. Did a moose with a havalon and a custom Josh Clark my brother bought me for college graduation.

I never had an issue with the Havalon, BUT i use the thicker blades on an old handle, and it’s kind of tight. I use a leatherman to change blades as mentioned above, but they work well.

I have never handled one, but the argali knives (with the g10) looks very useable. It would all depend on the handle. I do not like those super skinny or ultralight ones with no scales or handles or whatever they are called.

Hundreds of good knives out there these days.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I like Helle knives, the fixed blade I've had for a lot of years. I got one of their folders that I like for skinning, I can dress out a moose without having to touch up either knife.

Beendare

WKR
My current fav is theS90v steel….holds an edge like crazy.

I sharpen mine every 4-5 animals whether it needs it or not- grin

…if you are sharpening challenged…thats not the steel for you.