The "Scent Bomb"

D

david long

The “Scent Bomb

Ok guys, here is something that I have often debated with other hunters/cameramen in the back country. It is regarding whether it is beneficial to remove your boots during the final stage of your stalks and completing your stalk in a pair of socks.

Personally, I like to keep my boots on for the entire stalk. I view taking boots off at this point in the stalk is pretty much like dropping a “scent bomb”.

I can say this, every stalk I have attempted while in socks, has resulted in failure. I am not saying it is because of the scent bomb effect, I am simply stating the facts. Every successful stalk I have done has been with my boots on!

I am curious to see what others may think regarding this subject.

Dave

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I keep my boots on and put a pair of sneeky feet on over them.

Where I'm hunting deer you would NOT want to take your boots off.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'm not one who thinks we can overcome any scent when the wind changes direction towards the buck. I've done both boots on and off stalks. I always try to take them off if terrain/ground moisture allows. I've killed my two best archery bucks with boots on, though, but my closest archery buck with only socks.
It is much quieter moving in socks for sure and I think that outweighs the extra scent. Once he's got the wind, he's got me, boots on or off. My two bits...

Last edited:
I have killed every one of my bucks with my boots sitting 100 yards (or more when I misjudge the distance!) behind me. I do spray down my feet with scentkiller when I drop my pack and boots. My partners rarely remove their boots and they kill deer just the same. In fact all three of us have very different stalking styles to get "in the zone".

I'm with David on this one. All of my bucks have been killed with boots on. I don't take any sprays into the backcountry with me to save weight and space in my pack its just not worth it to me ( GO MERINO WOOL!!! ). I know three guys that have lost their boots over the years where I hunted this year because they took them off on a stalk and .... FORGOT WHERE THEY TOOK THEM OFF. In the defense of one of them he is color blind so...

I understand the thought process of taking them off and staying quiet but i just can't do it personally. If you play the wind...sound and scent "shouldn't" be an issue BUT my boots are staying on.

bohntr

WKR
Boots off for sure. Can you consistently stalk with boots on and get within 40 yards? Yeah, probably. When you start closing the distance even further (less than 25 yards) you'd be surprised how those bucks detect even the slightest decibel created by boots. Additionally, socks sometimes make you go slower, as your footing dictates such.

As for "scent bombs".........there is no scent if you're downwind. JMO

Never took boots off.....If you take your boots off could you put the insoles in your socks and still get that stealth effect. Save you from sharp rocks and thorns

Hoytnut

FNG
Socks only, despite the "scent bomb". As BOHNTR points out, socks make you slow down considerably making foot placement and control a must. Also, my experience is that you can conform your foot around noisy objects and displace your weight better when you are in socks. One trick I also like to do is to tuck my pants into my socks so there is no pant leg hanging down to increase noise levels when going through low lying vegetation.

OP
D

david long

Robby, no double dipping or we will have to ban you from the site :)

Boots off for sure. Can you consistently stalk with boots on and get within 40 yards? Yeah, probably. When you start closing the distance even further (less than 25 yards) you'd be surprised how those bucks detect even the slightest decibel created by boots. Additionally, socks sometimes make you go slower, as your footing dictates such.

With your mule deer track record you got the deer to back it up. I with you on this. Lack of boots really makes you slow down and keep quiet something important on mule deer.
I have killed with boots and without boots. As long as the wind is in your favor scent shouldn't matter no matter how bad you smell

Last edited:

pronghorn

FNG

Agreed. Slowing your approach is reason enough.

OP
B

bearguide

my feet are to wimpy to take my boots off / i do like the idea of the sneeky feet but have not tried them b/c i did not want to have to carry them

I have wimpy feet also and don't like the thought of taking my boots off as I know its certainly not going to do me any favors in the scent game. I usually end up taking my boots off though to be more quiet. Been thinking about the sneeky feet type boot covers but some seem too bulky and heavy to take backpacking but I checked out Crooked Horns Safari Sneakers recently and they seemed light enough that I would consider packing them. Has anyone here ever used these? Wondering if someone has a opinion on how they do for keeping noise down compared to just socks?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Nate, the boot covers work well, just don't jump up on a barkless log or you're going down. I quit packing them as too bulky. Just use cheap imitation wool socks now.