The Salmon River Breaks

Adkjake

FNG
This October I will be taking a trip into the Salmon River Breaks along with two of my good friends to chase mule deer and elk. We plan on hunting unit 19a. We have access to a jet boat to hopefully escape the crowds. We plan on being there around the middle of October. Has anyone done this hunt before? Do you think we will still have company despite our use of the jet boat? With our limited scouting ability we will be cold rolling this one so if anyone has done this hunt before any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jake

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It could be really cold, or it could be really hot. Fires could still be an issue depending on weather. Are you taking a jet boat with you? Or getting dropped off? Because that’s a pretty challenging hunt if your getting dropped off. If not, utilize the boat and go to the opposite side of the river and glass your unit from a vantage point in unit 19. I would be boating up further to about salmon falls and hunting the north side, but that’s because it fits longer range hunting due to it being more open. I would be hunting the church or selway in the wilderness tag instead of the McCall zone .

Also, watch videos of how mountain goats navigate and practice that! Some really steep rugged rocky terrain in there! And that’s where the elk will be in October.

Good luck.

OP
A

Adkjake

FNG
We will be getting dropped off by the boat. I spend some time in 19 so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. Does the Mackay Bar area get mobbed with people that time of year?

ElkNut1

WKR
You won't be alone, quite a few guys these days have their own jet boats doing the same thing you are, many have been doing it for years. Saying the area is rugged & steep is an understatement! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

ndbuck09

WKR
In a lot of areas there, it seems like you could just jump into the river from 2000 feet up lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
We will be getting dropped off by the boat. I spend some time in 19 so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. Does the Mackay Bar area get mobbed with people that time of year?
Yes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk