The Risks We Take

tstowater

WKR
I have not shared all the details with my wife of some of the fine points of extra risk that I have experienced on hunting trips. Frankly, she knows the hunts are subject to risk and I don't want to give her more reasons to be concerned. The best things that I can do is to be physically and mentally prepared and make good decisions. We have no control over some of the risks and if we dwelled on what could go wrong, we wouldn't do anything. Unfortunately, every tragedy is a stark reminder that we are human.

rodney482

WKR
Told her to hold down the fort and It could be 8 days before I contacted her.
On day 5 we hiked the 8 mile round trip so I could call home. It was well worth the trip to town.

Missing my family while gone is my biggest hurdle!

I often think about the sacrifice our Military makes and It quickly places things in prospective.

The best things that I can do is to be physically and mentally prepared and make good decisions.

This is a large part of it, particularly the "good decisions" part. However, being able to make those good decisions often requires more than just a functioning brain.

I do things for work and recreation on a weekly basis in the summer that most people would consider high risk (mountain helicopter work, working/playing in extreme weather, very remote drop offs, etc) For me, the risks are managed because I have intentionally built up the skill set that I need. I also continue to be intentional about learning from every trip, and developing new skills every time I see the need or opportunity. I think if risk is to be minimized, people need to operate within a zone where they have the background and/or training to be able to make those good decisions.

As an example... I'm pretty decent at driving a pickup truck. Do it every day. But just because I can drive, doesn't mean I can jump behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler without causing extreme risk to myself and everyone around me. If a guy is going to try some new backcountry adventure, he either needs to work up to it, or accept that he is taking higher risks than someone with more experience.

Yk

muleman

WKR
As an example... I'm pretty decent at driving a pickup truck. Do it every day. But just because I can drive, doesn't mean I can jump behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler without causing extreme risk to myself and everyone around me. If a guy is going to try some new backcountry adventure, he either needs to work up to it, or accept that he is taking higher risks than someone with more experience.

Yk

Well said.

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Tried to go elk hunting this past weekend. A mile or so in, this is what turned me around. Tracks were only hours/minutes old, and heading up the same drainage I wanted to go up. By myself, only my bow in my hand (and bear spray), and a recent mauling that resulted in a sheep hunter being killed not too far away - I turned around. Feel like a big wuss, but my wife thought it was a good decision. On that day, it was to big a risk.
Grizzly Tracks 2.jpg
By the way, my foot is a size 13.

Last edited:

rhendrix

WKR
As a former Marine who served in Iraq and a firefighter/paramedic I have a very good sense for when I'm in imminent danger. If I start to get that "sixth sense" I know to be hyper alert, having said that, I've only had that "sixth sense" kick in once in the past two years, and that was in some crappy weather in UT. I believe by and large we face much larger dangers just existing and going about our every day activities. To prove this, just look at the statistics, the amount of people that are injured or killed in normal every day life far outweigh those that hunt and fish the backcountry, proportionally. As long as you use your God given common sense and weigh risk vs. reward I think doing what we all love is a very safe activity.

I can slip in the tub almost as easily as I can be eaten by a bear, but I don't stop taking showers.

This is what killed my buddies aunt. She stepped out of the shower, slipped, cracked her head on the sink countertop, and died right there in the bathroom.

I think we, as hunters, generally accept death. We kill other living things. We understand that the pursuit of game is something that we need. However, our spouses, family, and friends may not understand that.

We can try to mitigate risks as much as possible, but we all feel the need to go out and do what we do. It is a balancing act between being a father/husband/boyfriend/whatever and living our lives as we would without obligations. I won't be climbing a 30' sheer cliff, but I'll take some risk. Before my wife and I started dating seriously, we had this conversation. She understands that in order to "be me," I need to do what I love. It doesn't matter if it is playing beer-league kickball, hiking/camping in the Adirondacks, or driving 2000 miles to Colorado to go hunting for a week. If something serious comes up and needs my attention, I will be there. I will always be a father and husband first, but in order to feel "full" I need to do what I love.

At the very least, I'll be carrying a SPOT next fall when I go to CO.

ethan

WKR
Just a quick thought, there have only been a couple of times that I have found myself in a predicament that had the possibility of becoming serious. Oddly enough, neither of these times was I in serious back country and both times involved the onset of hypothermia. Point being, it doesn't take much to get to a bad place if your not careful. Even if you're not 5 miles back into some wilderness area.

njdoxie

WKR
would like to hear some stories of folks who found themselves in dicey situations due to extreme terrain

Bighorse

WKR
I don't talk about dicey situation due to extreme terrain. I'd wear out my vocal cords. I don't fret over risk. I embrace it. Understand it and work around it. Face it for all its ruthless potential. With that you'll learn to live with it. Your not immune from it's wrath. Your flesh will bleed just like the prey you pursue. The wilderness rules are different than civiliaztion and you need time to learn them and abide by them. Best wishes in the backcountry and I hope you all return to you creature comforts whole and well fed. Be thoughtful and humble. Don't rush because in the woods time doesn't really matter as much as you think.

There are times I stay home, times I stay in the tent, times I don't sail. Be vigilent and honest and that will serve you well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I will say that Verizon is doing a heck of a job with their service areas. 5 years ago I couldn't get anything for reception in my hunting areas, but these days I have perfect cell reception in camp and most everywhere........even 4 1/2 miles into the Wilderness area. I don't turn it on very often, but when I do.......I have service. And I have an old flip phone.

Beendare

WKR
Good thread
I don't consider it much of a risk hiking in the dark 1 1/2 hrs back to camp in a remote wilderness area....

IMO, more risk involved in checking a text at 70mph on the freeway......

I am really careful but not because I am afraid to die. I am careful because I am afraid of being hurt really bad and living. I have never broken a bone or had..........stiches, sorry had to go knock on wood.

But the OP was directed at family. I do what I want and worrying about family is number ###,### reason why I don't have kids. Yes, I can think of 6 figure reasons not to have kids.

In more seriousness, we are taking much bigger risks in every day activities than what we will take in hunting.

Last edited:

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
My best friend's mom died from eating grapes. She was alone and ate one grape that got stuck in her throat and couldn't get it out. Anything can happen any day.

I don't ever want to leave my wife/family so I calculate the risks I take but I also want to enjoy every day I live on this earth to the fullest extent. You have to decide for yourself what makes you happy and feel fulfilled. Everyone's answer to that is different.

I have carried a SPOT for 6 years. it feels good (half forgotten) in the bottom of my pack.In my opinion your less likely to get hurt on "extreme" terrain when you are on high alert, than you are super tired returning to camp, or high stepping deadfall,ect.I have a survival kit that im very sure will keep me alive if a legs broke and i do need to push that 911 button. You need both.