The perspective of the anti-hunter.

Will_m

WKR
especially charismatic species like elk, wolves, bears, mountain lions,
I've heard and called a lot of different animals a lot of different things, but damned if I've ever heard anything like this. Since it looks like he can't even wield the word "charismatic," something tells me his article is not particularly well-reasoned or insightful, even if only for his "perspective."

OP
M

Marble

WKR
I've heard and called a lot of different animals a lot of different things, but damned if I've ever heard anything like this. Since it looks like he can't even wield the word "charismatic," something tells me his article is not particularly well-reasoned or insightful, even if only for his "perspective."
Yeah it's slightly strange

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

On the bright side, we are winning some “hippie” types over. Look at some of the BHA (Backcountry hunters and Anglers) sponsors and corporate partners. There is an article out there somewhere about this. We definitely do need to fight the looneys like the one that inspired this thread. We can also form alliances with those that may not choose to recreate exactly as we do. Many of them support our choice to hunt and vehemently defend public land.

Last edited:

Barse41

FNG
What’s mind blowing is some of these idiots fish. And some even bird hunt. But would “never harm a majestic whatever and no one should”

No doubt. Some are like that. Some are not. I know several Alaskans that would be considered “hippies” by many, yet they hunt. I have one friend that built and lives in an earth ship, has some very left leaning views, partakes in all that is legal in that state, hunts moose, hunts caribou, hunts black bear, does not hunt wolves or grizzlies. We disagree on some points but are still good friends.

Last edited:

Barse41

FNG
I had a couple “natives” block me on a trail. They let me by because I was deer hunting. They were going to stop me if I was after bear.

Came across this article discussing grizzly, wolf and predator control in general. It's all a bunch of Lefty BS, but there are some statements made in it that can provide some context as to the perspective of the people who fight so hard to take away our way of life.

It's filled with a lot of opinion, not based on fact, but emotion. And actually, it's a rather simple minded argument he makes with no facts to back it up.

If you go through the article, just read the bottom part where it describes the author and the projects he's been involved in.

A couple quotes I pulled from the article...

"What really is happening is a breakdown in our society being led by profiteering outfitters for trophy wolves and disenfranchised people in rural communities who take their anger out on wildlife, especially keystone predator species, as though it is their right. "

"Taking the life of animals is central to their need for power and dominance. Simply letting animals live, especially charismatic species like elk, wolves, bears, mountain lions, is at odds with their need to portray themselves as unconquerable masters of the universe."

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That bold section tells the story.

Talk about a narrative running in one's head.

Idiots.

I encounter a few died in the wool anti hunters in my area.

You nailed it Marbles; emotion based opinions with zero science to back it up.

I realized long ago I will never change these peoples minds so I dont even try.

Only time I've ever changed any anti-hunter (and anti-gun) person's mind was when I took them hunting for feral pigs. They knew the damage that feral pigs did to the environment and to native wildlife. After watching me shoot a few and helping me gut them ( a real "a-ha!" moment for them ), I talked them into trying a bit of the smoked meat a few days later, which they did. This was a couple of anti-everything "vegans" (although leather sandals and belts were somehow okay... hmmm) and after that experience they softened their tone about hunting and hunters.

I had another group of young vegan anti's who asked me about hunting. I told them I only ate cage free, free-range, non-gmo, farm to table organic venison. :D They did have some respect for that vs. feedlot mass produced meat.

But for most of them, you're absolutely right. They have their narrative set, often very early in their lives, and you're not gonna change it. Ever. So don't even bother.

Time is better spent talking to non-hunters who just don't understand much about it, or the value of it to conservation and mental health.

MJB

WKR
I blame the internet before the internet nobody really cared about our way of life.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I had a couple “natives” block me on a trail. They let me by because I was deer hunting. They were going to stop me if I was after bear.
What grounds do they have to "block" you from hunting any species as long as you were doing it lawfully? Somebody tries to "block" me when I'm legally pursuing an animal, they had better be prepared for an appropriate response to their "blocking", and it wouldn't be pleasant.

Good on you!

I regularly take folks shooting on a friends ranch, folks that have never shot a gun before. Many have an innate fear of firearms due to the media blitz against them.

This definitely changes their perspective and enlightens them.
Funny you mention that. One of those vegans let me teach them to shoot. I used the argument they had a lot to say about something they knew very little about. It worked. Started with .22 rifle, then .22 handgun, then eventually let them try my .40 cal S&W and she loved it. Had to cut her off after two mags. LOL She admitted she could see the appeal to shooting after that. It was a fun day all around.