The perfect hunting scope.

Does the perfect hunting scope exist?

• Total voters

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
IMO the FFP argument is lost when the top end is only around 10x, and maybe upto 12x. If I'm needing a true reticle for holds I'll already be at 10x.

Now when you start getting higher power then it's more important. The highest magnification I've shot at game with my NX8 2.5-20 was around 9x. Using enough magnification to shoot, but keeping a max FOV.
Disagree. I use holds on 3-6 x on my SWFA 3-9 and have shot at over 1000 yards without cranking it up all the way.

IMO, any argument for more than 10x is lost when it comes to field shooting. Holds remain useful at all magnifications though.

I also think a fixed 4x is a great hunting scope for all realistic ranges (out to 600ish yards). High magnification is nice punching paper though.

Jbuck

FNG
Certainly theres less down-side to 2fp in a lower-power scope. Cant agree that the argument is moot though, I definitely use the reticle to spot shots at less than 10x. I COULD do it at 9or 10x usually, but assuming a good reticle I dont see any down-side to ffp. The problem is not that sfp has advantages, I dont think it does except by correlation—the problem is that a good ffp hunting reticle is uncommon.

I agree that's the biggest problem. There are very few good FFP reticles that would work for where I hunt. My nx8 is almost useless for timber hunting without the illumination on. My closest shot on elk was in the timber at 15yds towards the end of the day. I was only able to make the shot because of the illumination.

The closest FFP reticle I've found that I like was the illuminated TMR in a Mk5 3.6-18x44. The reticle was thick enough to see without the illumination. However the 35mm tube was physically too large for me to get used to.

These are the scopes I'm currently cycling through trying to find the "one" ATACR 4-16X42, NX8 2.5-20 NXS 2.5-10X42, MK5 3.6-18X44, LHT 3-15,VX5HD 2-10.

Not pictured is the vx5hd 3-15 windplex. It was back at Leupold for not tracking true.

20240213_174128.jpg

Last edited:

TreeDog

Lil-Rokslider
Already can see why no one offers perfect…cuz half the stuff people are wishing for is stuff that is a deal-breaker for me.
My perfect is for a northeastern woods rifle that can do double duty hunting in open country. Its something of a mashup between the NF NXS 2.5-10, my S&B 3-12, and features from a few other scopes thrown in…so Im dead-certain its possible, its just a combination that apparently isnt a priority for any scope company:
  • Holds zero under abusive handling, routine slips on wet leaves under wet snow on 45-degree slopes, dragged thru brush, etc
  • 2x low mag, up to 10x. I want an exceptionally wide fov walking around, but want just enough magnification that my aging eyes can zoom in to pick a hole through twigs in the woods, and I can practice at longer range than I hunt.
  • low light performance for “29 minutes past sunset, in the thickest part of a dark-ass cedar swamp on the north side of a mountain”, which is where most of its use ends up being located.
  • BOLD reticle. It has to be positively eye-grabbing under the above low-light conditions. Center-only illumination helps but isnt a substitute for a bold reticle. A daylight-bright “shake-awake” or always-on type like an accupoint could be ok.
  • Fixed parallax—nothing to shift unexpectedly, and at 500 and in the amount of realistic parallax error is a non-issue.
  • low profile capped windage—any wind holds are rare, and are always done using the reticle.
  • Simple reticle with holds for wind and elevation. NO TREE. A mil-dot or half-mil-dot mil-based reticle with a .1mil thick fine center section, and a .8 or 1.0mil thick outer line (it could taper toward center), with the center section taking up 4 mils to each side from center. This would be like a S&B P3 or P4, but thicker, and with a slightly smaller center section.
  • FFP
  • Mil adjustments
  • Low-profile elevation dial is exposed and locking, with zero stop. 10 mils of total useable travel is plenty and would allow practicing to 1000yds with most centerfire cartridges. Ccw elevation adjustment.
  • 30mm tube, 40-44mm objective, mounting length so it’ll go on most rifles without odd bell or bolt-handle interferences.
  • Zoom ring goes from low to max zoom in 180-degrees of rotation or less.
  • longish eye relief and exceptionally forgiving eye box.
  • Excellent depth of field, should be visually crisp from bayonet range to infinity.
  • Glass quality on par with vx-3 or similar with regard to edge to edge clarity, color, glare, etc.
  • 20oz weight.
This is exactly the scope I want.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
would go with the.... ds Gen II 5-12X52, haven't handled it but so much grate reviews..
on my way to owning a new rifle and that's whats gonna be mounted on it..

Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Might take a shift on user's perspective and obvious use of it to understand etc. But it's funny nobody has mentioned this one. It's killer, even for up close timber hunting, the glass, reticle, lightweight, turret, etc. I shot an elk walking in the timber at 50 yards, a whitetail chasing a doe at 30 yards, and a bear feeding across a canyon at 744 yards, all backpack hunts within the last year. Schmidt Bender PMii 10X42. If I had the money, I'd put this riflescope on every single hunting rifle i own.

dkim

FNG
I haven't read through every post so not sure if the Trijicon Credo 2.5-10x36 has been mentioned. Not sure why it is 0.1 ounce heavier than the 2.5-15x42 but it is a FFP scope.

I don't have experience with dozens of different scopes, but the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42 is about perfect for my uses as I could ask for. I have 2 of them, which is saying a lot for me because I don't have many hunting rifles. And I'm no Vortex fanboi, the only Vortex products I own are the Razor LH and LHT for the features, weight, and glass quality.

Simple Mil or MOA reticle with extremely readable markings.
My preferred mag range of 3-15
Middle weight at 19oz
illuminated center dot for first/last light
SFP reticle is fine for my skill level right now. I don't hold over unless on max mag.
Locking elevation turret and capped windage
side focus down to sub 50yd, though this is take-it-or-leave-it honestly.

Reliability will need to be confirmed in use, but I'm box blind hunting in Texas, and I don't take long shots.

I only have a couple small quips with the scope. Reticle bleed on anything but the dimmest settings, and the push button toggle for illumination. The illumination is not that bright, but I don't mind since it is a low light function for me anyway.

What I still want to try out would be the Maven everyone raves about, and the new Leupold Mk4 HD 2.5-10 with illuminated TMR reticle.

Last edited:

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite scope of all time was my Nikon Monarch 5 3-15x.

It would fit OP's requests other than being SFP.

If I could buy a closet full of them, I would be a happy camper for the rest of my life. Sure it could have been lighter (18oz IIRC), had nicer glass than needed, but I loved everything else about it. Really sad Nikon doesn't make scopes anymore :(

Worked great at close quarters for Rosy elk in the rainforest and stretching it out for high country mule deer and bear.

I even loved the advanced BDC reticle.

KenLee

WKR
My favorite scope of all time was my Nikon Monarch 5 3-15x.

It would fit OP's requests other than being SFP.

If I could buy a closet full of them, I would be a happy camper for the rest of my life. Sure it could have been lighter (18oz IIRC), had nicer glass than needed, but I loved everything else about it. Really sad Nikon doesn't make scopes anymore :(

Worked great at close quarters for Rosy elk in the rainforest and stretching it out for high country mule deer and bear.

I even loved the advanced BDC reticle.
If I ever decide to clean a closet out, I know who to call.

KenLee

WKR
Do you happen to have a closet full of these scopes that you would be interested in selling?
Maybe 3 in closet and another 6 or so on what are mostly safe queens now, except a double bobbed BAR 308 truck gun. I don't have any interest in selling. I thought they were the best scope I'd actually ever pay for. Then I got weak for a Leica sale and been leaking $ ever since.

JGRaider

WKR
Maybe 3 in closet and another 6 or so on what are mostly safe queens now, except a double bobbed BAR 308 truck gun. I don't have any interest in selling. I thought they were the best scope I'd actually ever pay for. Then I got weak for a Leica sale and been leaking $ ever since.
You're the only person I've ever seen on a public forum admit they bought a Leica riflescope.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
A man of good taste, get a hold of me if you ever want to sell any.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I buy into the 3-18's and 4-16's because then I have an actually comfortable 10x to use
I have talked to a number of PRS guys and this is their reason for getting a 5-25ishx scope, so the eyebox is not hot garbage in the lower mag ranges where they actually use it.

So few scopes have good eyeboxes at max mag, it's infuriating.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I have talked to a number of PRS guys and this is their reason for getting a 5-25ishx scope, so the eyebox is not hot garbage in the lower mag ranges where they actually use it.

So few scopes have good eyeboxes at max mag, it's infuriating.
Its the nature of all things though, not just scopes. They perform best in the middle of their capability, not at the extreme ends

I voted ‘yes’ but in truth they just stopped making it…👎. Leupold 2.5x compact. Perfect for 90% of my hunting. Rugged as can be. Mine has been through multiple rifles, 458, 375, Whelen, grendel, 556….. Thousands of rounds, dropped, thrown, drowned, left outside for weeks on end. Aluminum boat rides through the rapids, untold miles tied to the outside of the plane, 4 wheelers, 3 wheelers, snomachines…. Accidentally drop tested it the other day when the rifle fell off the pegs from 6ft high onto a plywood floor…. Has never fogged or let me down in any way.

But for longer range rifles I do go back and forth between 4x and 6x as perfect. If only someone made a lightweight, low profile and reliable 5 power. Would be happy with a reliable 6x that wasn’t too large and obnoxious. Picked up an older S&B to try. Shows promise but of course not really dial capable. Love the SWFA 6x and 10x on a range rifle but hate the big knobs in the field.

For my purposes a 2.5-10 or 2.5-12 with a 40-42 obj is about perfect. I’m not going into glass quality, low light performance and holding zero as those things are a starting point in any scope one might call perfect. I’m a Eastern whitetail hunter in Alabama and Ohio. Versatility is key for me as I may find myself
On a powerline , clearcut , farm field , green field , planted pines or in thick almost jungle old clear cuts and hardwood branches and drains. I dont own one scope in 2.5-10/12. They are either 3.5-10 or 2.5-8.
As or if I upgrade I will be switching to my perfect scopes.