The perfect hunting scope.

Does the perfect hunting scope exist?

• Total voters

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering what all of you think is the perfect all around hunting scope. Big game and otherwise. If it exists please do tell and your explanation of why. If it does not exist please list in order of importance what would make a perfect scope for you and your style of hunting. In my case some get close but nothing checks all the boxes. After talking to a few scope engineers recently I get the feeling they think I’m in the minority. Which is likely true but hoping this will clarify a bit.

My perfect hunting scope in order of importance:

Hold Zero
Return to zero
Durable
Zero Stop/Lock Elevation Turret
Good optical quality (B+ or better)
Magnification low end 2-3, max 20 (3-15, 3.5-18 etc)
Max objective 42 mm (to save weight and keep scope low)
Capped windage
Under 20oz ish weight, max 22oz
FFP
Simple hash mark reticle (no trees!)
Don’t require a second mortgage to pay for.

Hoping some of these scope manufacturers are listening…

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Other than the magnification range (don't have much use for anything over 10x), wanting center reticle illumination, and changing up the order of some things, that is similar to my list.

If not for cost I would have a S&B PMII 3-12x50, even though it is heavy. The Maven as very close. Features wise, other than probable durability/reliability issues, the Leupold Mark 4 HD 2.5-10x42 in FFP/Mil with illumination is probably the closest.

ChrisAU

WKR
The RS 1.2 is close, but is a few oz heavier and 2-3” longer than I’d like. As it is I’ll deal with that. The Steiner, when it comes out with the MIL reticle, will get a hard look from me. BUT - I’ve heard the MIL reticle will be awful. Just another competition reticle stuck into a hunting scope.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Honestly for about 95% of how I shoot and hunt these days…

A rugged and reliable 8x50 fixed power with the new Maven MIL or THLR MIL reticle would be on just about all of my guns.

sdupontjr

WKR
Perfect is a relative question. Because what is perfect for one hunting condition might not be for another.

1) hunting low light situations, my Schmidt Bender Polar is king and fits the bill perfect. Sure it's a heavier optic but I'm not hiking, I'm walking to a box stand and lean it up against the wall. Let's me see in damn near darkness. So it does what it's intended to do.

2) my 4-16x50 credo is light weight and tracks great. Like the reticleand the eye relief. Again, for it's intended purpose. It does what it's suppose to do for my perfect hunting conditions.

I have other but you get the point. 2 very different optics that do very different things. I could probably dial with the Polar, but that's not why I bought it. I need low light capability for this combo and it is the best.

KenLee

WKR
Just wondering what all of you think is the perfect all around hunting scope. Big game and otherwise. If it exists please do tell and your explanation of why. If it does not exist please list in order of importance what would make a perfect scope for you and your style of hunting. In my case some get close but nothing checks all the boxes. After talking to a few scope engineers recently I get the feeling they think I’m in the minority. Which is likely true but hoping this will clarify a bit.

Hold Zero
Return to zero
Durable
Capped windage
FFP

Better bump that max objective size up to 44 so as to not exclude some good scopes.
Many FFP reticles are practically worthless at low magnification in low light without an illuminated dot.

KenLee

WKR
Perfect is a relative question. Because what is perfect for one hunting condition might not be for another.

1) hunting low light situations, my Schmidt Bender Polar is king and fits the bill perfect. Sure it's a heavier optic but I'm not hiking, I'm walking to a box stand and lean it up against the wall. Let's me see in damn near darkness. So it does what it's intended to do.

2) my 4-16x50 credo is light weight and tracks great. Like the reticleand the eye relief. Again, for it's intended purpose. It does what it's suppose to do for my perfect hunting conditions.

I have other but you get the point. 2 very different optics that do very different things. I could probably dial with the Polar, but that's not why I bought it. I need low light capability for this combo and it is the best.
That's right Boss. Can't kill game if you can't see it ...or the reticle.

The Maven hits very close on that list other than the weight.

If the Leupold MK5 was reliable the 3.6-18x44 checks a LOT of boxes for me with the TMR reticle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SDHNTR

WKR
The Maven 1.2 may come closest, on paper, but I’m not even convinced it exists, lol. I hope a bigger scope company is watching what is happening there. Would be nice to see a well capitalized competitor who could actually put out some lasting inventory.

The 2.5-15x42 Credo in FFP and a visible low power reticle would be nice to see.

Nightforce also needs to put out an NX4 or 5. And make the reticle bolder on the low end. Or the ATACR line in 30 mil.

Hold Zero
Return to zero
Durable
Capped windage
FFP

Vortex Razor 3-15x44.

Absolutely perfect for a hunting scope.
I wouldn’t change it up even for “better” glass. All those Christmas tree reticule are disgusting for hunting and the illuminated centre dot is amazing for early / late hunting and for black bear !