The other small caliber (not 223 or 6creed)

I can’t tell the difference in recoil between a 90gr and a 105gr in a 6br. Today was shooting a 223 with 27.7gr lvr 75gr eld-m and a 30gr varget 108 6br back to back and recoil impulse is very similar. The 6br has a lighter scope and 1.5” more barrel but a slightly thicker barrel but they are nearly copies.

If anything the less blast from the 6mm seems less so recoil seems less.

That’s very interesting.. What is the velocity for the 223 and 6BR loads? And are the rifles of similar weight? I’m Going to run them through the recoil calculator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recoils calculators are good for general use

But I’m quite certain that port pop from the muzzle has more effect then recoil calculators give them credit for. On a 6creed if I run 33gr of varget at 2750 or 39gr of h4350 for 2750fps the varget has more felt recoil. It’s a higher pressure load.

recoils calculators are good for general use

But I’m quite certain that port pop from the muzzle has more effect then recoil calculators give them credit for. On a 6creed if I run 33gr of varget at 2750 or 39gr of h4350 for 2750fps the varget has more felt recoil. It’s a higher pressure load.

I was just more interested in seeing what the calculator was going to say the difference was. Maybe draw a rough concussion that the % difference from the calculator is what is too small to feel when behind the rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excuse the ignorance, these smaller cartridges seem to require faster burning powder is that correct? If so I would also assume that superformance powders are too slow for the BR or BRA/X?

Usually Lever is about the slowest powder you can get enough powder into the case and still get speed with a 20 to 22 inch barrel.

Jay
If one was to get a barrel made at 24" would that potentially still be the case? Or would you have to move to more slower burning powders?

I checked load data on Hodgdon's site and they have like 28" and 30+" barrel options on there. No ones obviously going to go hunting with those lengths (Not usually anyways), and I know those are meant for comp shooting.

For conversations sake, is it possible with a 6BR to match .243 speeds (95 going 3-3100) with reduced recoil and a heavier bullet? (Apologies is this has been covered, I'm trying to keep up LOL)

I mean @ramblinman 's 108 load going just over 2800 sounds awesome, I'm just curious if it can do more.

If one was to get a barrel made at 24" would that potentially still be the case? Or would you have to move to more slower burning powders?
A longer barrel doesn't impact if a powder is too slow for a case. You can either get enough powder in a case to reach desired pressures or you cant.
I checked load data on Hodgdon's site and they have like 28" and 30+" barrel options on there. No ones obviously going to go hunting with those lengths (Not usually anyways), and I know those are meant for comp shooting.

For conversations sake, is it possible with a 6BR to match .243 speeds (95 going 3-3100) with reduced recoil and a heavier bullet? (Apologies is this has been covered, I'm trying to keep up LOL)

I mean @ramblinman 's 108 load going just over 2800 sounds awesome, I'm just curious if it can do more.

I ASSUME if you picked the fastest powder and loaded it very hot a 24" 6br might flirt with 95s at 3000 FPS but I wouldn't want to plan on that or run one that way! A 243 would probably be 3300 FPS doing the same.. Its a much smaller case than 243, theres no free lunch.

Without contradicting myself I’ll try to answer

You can stuff a case full of leverevolution and a 90-95gr and get 3000. I wouldn’t say easily but you should get there. Whereas factory 21” 243 95gr ammo is probably in mid 2950 or so.

But we are comparing two different things. Factory neutered fodder and a tailored hand load. Keep in mind you can easily hit 3100 with 108’s and a case full of rl-17 in a 243 win.

the joy of the 6br isnt Wringing the nuts out of the cartridge.. exact opposite. I love it’s mild manners. No fuss loadings, shots hitting at waterline ans 90 to -15 stability. And the 108’s smash critters.

6gt is probably what ur after if you want more velocity and truly sniff 243.

The 223 (2.25” coal) is a 400yards, 400lb critter getter.

The 6br is a 600 yard, 600lb critter getter.

I really love my 6br, its kind of a PRS style build, I just never shoot the thing and was about to list it for sale. Such a great cartridge though, hard to let it go.

At one time I lusted after a 6BR for groundhog/deer duty. This thread is reviving that desire, I always thought a 6BR would be such a pleasant deer rifle.

I built a 6 dasher as my first rifle where I did all the work, profiling the blank, chambering, threading etc… I love it but haven’t killed anything with it yet. I’m getting 2850-2900 with 105 amax’s and 32.5 grains of varget or RL15. Shot a bunch of Speer 100 grn spbt and 100 grn hornady interlocks into sub .5 moa out to 300 yds, that’s as far as my range goes.
1726662069497.jpeg
1726662089564.jpeg

Last edited:
I think a 6bra with 95tmk, stout load of H4895, varget or rl15 would flirt with that 2900-3000 fps range from a 22" barrel. I know the 6gt will easily, as I run 112s at 2920 from a 24" w/ H4350. The gt case performs very well for its 44.5gr capacity.

If I was going to make a 6BR hunting rig I would go to 6 Dasher for a little more case capacity. The Dasher has enough case capacity to open up more powder options such as H4350 (drop tube). The 6BR case seems to be "only" Varget and N140 (and a few others like H4895, Re15 hard to find). The BR family - 6BR, 6BRA, 6 Dasher - are just so efficient with powder charge vs velocity.

6GT has even more case capacity and was intended to be shortest case possible to use the "308" mags.

How does 6BR run out of a BDL style SA mag?

I guess I am not seeing the point in the BR vs Dasher or GT etc. Is it just mild blast, recoil and barrel life?

Makes sense, would have been a nice option to get a little bit more speed out of the round
Superperformance is not alone in providing superior velocity potential. There's various options that do similar in other burn rates - like Lever as mentioned for the 6BR sized cases.

Back