The one we had to let go

tuffcity

WKR
Sept 1st was the opener in the Yukon for the lucky 8 people who drew tags. My wife is the recipient of a 5 point or less bull permit (there are 4 of these, 2 any bull and 2 cow ) . Our place is in the middle of her zone. It's a long season, Sept 01 to March 31st so sometimes the urgency isn't quite there. Anyway, Sunday night I'm relaxing in the hot tub and decide a bugle might be in order. No response but first thing Monday morning my wife yards me out of bed with "there's elk across the river!" Sure enough, a bull and 3 cows on the top of the bank on the other side. I've ranged it enough to know its 304 yards from the deck to where they are standing. Bino look reveals at least a 6 point... damn.

So for giggles I grab my bugle and send one. Not a sound back but the bull drops down the bank and comes halfway across the river (its less than 200 yds wide) to a small island. I grab my camera and sneak across the lawn to the edge of the river for a few pics. Now, its 38 F out and i've got bare feet, no shirt on and only pajama pants on stalking elk. He's standing 92 yards away and slowly decides I'm not worth his time and wanders back to his cows.

Interesting start to the elk season...

"Elk Camp"
jTtaiF1.jpg

The Monday morning bull

TjtBiq7.jpg

7C0rDx5.jpg

wPo5bk5.jpg

SonnyDay

WKR
I made a hot tub out of a canoe one time in the Quetico… but didn’t get around to building a deck. Nice looking bull! Maybe he’ll be 7 points next year.