The "not so little" little things

Snyd

WKR
So we've got all kinds of gear list threads and "comfort items" thread. What are some of the "not so little" little things that you take on your Sheep Hunts. Not comfort items, or "extras". Necessities. I'll start with this one. Anti Bacterial Wipes. Gotta have em.

iu.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know three small things that I'll be bringing to the Brooks range, that I never carry deer/elk hunting

a small bottle of DEET
a headnet
a rain cover for my pack

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
I know three small things that I'll be bringing to the Brooks range, that I never carry deer/elk hunting

a small bottle of DEET
a headnet
a rain cover for my pack
I've heard of some guys taking bug dope sheep hunting. I've hunted the Brooks several times and never took it or needed it. In fact I've never taken bug dope on any of the 13 or so sheep hunts I've been on. Now the pack cover, yup, always. BTW, good luck on your Sheep Hunt.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks!

That was talking to a couple of fellas that hunted there the last two years, could have been an anomaly, but a 0.5 oz headnet and a 1.5 oz bottle DEET is pretty light insurance :)

Wapiti1

WKR
Light synthetic leather mechanix gloves. When my hands are wet trekking poles and climbing through scree just tears them up.

Enough socks to put on a dry pair at lunch. 3 pair usually handles that.

Tape for any hot spots.

Jeremy

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Antibacterial Wipes are the Anti-Crotch Rot.

a small bottle of DEET
a headnet
a rain cover for my pack

If the large Zpacks pack cover will work for your pack, that’s what I would recommend. Either way, go DCF for the wt. savings, there’s no reason to carry an extra 1/3 lb. for a pack cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the large Zpacks pack cover will work for your pack, that’s what I would recommend. Either way, go DCF for the wt. savings, there’s no reason to carry an extra 1/3 lb. for a pack cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in Bozeman last Friday and stopped in at Stone Glacier, picked up one of their's- pretty light at 3.5 oz

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Recommend that you replace DEET with Picaridin. Equal repellent without the stinging, burning, hot, nasty, camera/scope/binocular dissolving solvents.

I'll check that out- thanks!

I do permethrin my upper base layers (or any clothing that doesn't stop a biting bug), it definitely helps, but not a replacement for bug dope when they are really bad

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
I'll check that out- thanks!

I do permethrin my upper base layers (or any clothing that doesn't stop a biting bug), it definitely helps, but not a replacement for bug dope when they are really bad

Another vote for picaridin -- I bought it on a lark at REI and man, it's so much better than deet in regards to having it on your skin and it coming in contact with your stuff. I haven't tested it in some place truly nasty like AK but it's done well for me in mosquito-thick WA and WY high country.

Side note: I had a bottle of Ben's 100% deet leak in a box that for some reason had an Anker battery pack in it. It melted the entire battery and created an absolute super-fund site in my gear closet.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nick what kind of mix do you use? I use powdered Gatorade, but I'm guessing there is better stuff out there- although it does taste pretty good :)