The new class of trainees.

squirrel

WKR
Between building a barndominium and spearing fish in the head I'm getting off to a slow start for the summer training session this year. Its getting to be almost more than I can handle with conditioning runs for 20 and training runs for new guys/gals. This years class consists of 2-2yr olds and 2-3yr olds. Usually I dont trail train 2 yr olds but decided to re-write the rule book this year. There are no rules, after all, just suggestions...

I've got some trail ready females available and some weanlings both M & F for sale this year. I could probably get rid of some of these green broke boys that are making great progress also. For some reason my wife says I have too many llamas even though I'm not sure of the actual count.tempImagem6voMD.jpgtempImageQjXDa3.jpgtempImageFgTf8k.jpg

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I had a boss from Panama and her family raised llamas. I was curious how old they get, and without hesitating she said, “13 years.” “All of them?” I said with a puzzled look. “Yep - it’s traditional to eat them at 13 years - nobody knows how long they live past that.” Lol

Good looking bunch! Are the new ones animals you acquired from other folks or "home grown" from your older gals?

I had a boss from Panama and her family raised llamas. I was curious how old they get, and without hesitating she said, “13 years.” “All of them?” I said with a puzzled look. “Yep - it’s traditional to eat them at 13 years - nobody knows how long they live past that.” Lol
That is both an intriguing and somewhat bizarre response.

TaperPin

WKR
That is both an intriguing and somewhat bizarre response.
It still makes me chuckle. Lol I wonder how many old broke down draft horses ended up on the table of homesteaders.

I wouldn’t have thought Panama would be a meca for llama breading, so she may have relatives farther down south that are actually raising them, but I suppose they can make wool anywhere.

Apparently they don’t taste great, or at least they have a unique taste. When a foodie blogger says something tastes unusual, that usually counts me out :)

0813BBCC-DEA8-4405-87EE-90CBC4A3CE7B.jpeg

I now regret not eating llama when I lived in Chile. When I visited Argentina, the beef was of course excellent. Next time, I'll be sure to go on a llama hunt. ha!

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
these were home grown youngsters Took the new 2 yr olds on a 7 mile trail today. They did great carrying tarps for bulk with no weight.

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
Beautiful riverside trail today tankful of chainsaw gas worth of deadfall
IMG_3823.jpeg
img_3827-jpeg.737374
IMG_3825.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3827.jpeg
    IMG_3827.jpeg
    820.8 KB · Views: 86

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
i read in a blog there life span was up to 15 years, but haven't given it much thought.

and as for eating am sure with some barbeque source and and a griller i could make it taste good.

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
I agree applesauce so I came in from upriver yesterday and finished the trail cleanup. Gorgeous country and even in today’s Colorado not a boot print anywhere. Just moose and bear. Here is one guy who will be happy walking up a nice clear trail while he trims the willows. IMG_3834.jpegIMG_3833.jpeg

I agree applesauce so I came in from upriver yesterday and finished the trail cleanup. Gorgeous country and even in today’s Colorado not a boot print anywhere. Just moose and bear. Here is one guy who will be happy walking up a nice clear trail while he trims the willows. View attachment 737915View attachment 737916
Wow! Thank you for sharing. Getting up early Saturday to go scout. Your pics strike a cord. I’m excited.

Last edited:
OP
S

squirrel

WKR
tempImagefBJXyR.jpg
tempimagelpmzou-jpg.742796
A weekend of making money got in the way of youngster training, but they got to play too, and learned about how their hay gets paid for...tempImageHE3ex8.jpg

Attachments

• tempImagelPmZOu.jpg
    tempImagelPmZOu.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 32
  • tempImage7LjfTy.jpg
    tempImage7LjfTy.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 4