The higher the better for early mulies?

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Alright guys probably a dumb question for more experienced mulie hunters. Unit is from around 6k to 10.5k ft with a few mountains getting up to 11.5k. Early September are you focusing most on those highest peaks or is it alright to focus on the 9k-10k ft range too? Also my experience glassing whitetails tells me deer will stay in the shade as long as possible. So in the evenings do you prefer to glass east with the sun at your back or west looking into the sun but seeing shadows on the opposite ridge that get shaded first?

BBob

WKR
Well in some of those big giant above timberline basins you really don't get much of a choice to choose to glass east or west with the sun. You are where you are and to change it may take a big effort and something you may not be doing day to day or morning to evening.

OP
O

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Well in some of those big giant above timberline basins you really don't get much of a choice to choose to glass east or west with the sun.
Understood, unfortunately can’t get above timberline in this unit. Just trying to get a good game plan on when it’s best to be glassing from specific spots I’ve recently scouted.

OP
O

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I would start as high as possible and work your way down until you start seeing deer for that month/time of year. Every unit/area is different but in my experience that is a good rule of thumb.
This will be an early September hunt but that’s a good plan. Start high and work down. But just because there’s a 11k mountain doesn’t mean youaren’t going to find the deer in a canyon half a mile away @9k feet, correct?
My reason for asking is on my scouting trip I was around 10k and a buddy who has been on a couple mulie hunts said “gotta go higher… As high as possible to find the big bucks” but I don’t feel just finding the highest point in the unit guarantees finding the big deer.

Taudisio

WKR
This will be an early September hunt but that’s a good plan. Start high and work down. But just because there’s a 11k mountain doesn’t mean youaren’t going to find the deer in a canyon half a mile away @9k feet, correct?
My reason for asking is on my scouting trip I was around 10k and a buddy who has been on a couple mulie hunts said “gotta go higher… As high as possible to find the big bucks” but I don’t feel just finding the highest point in the unit guarantees finding the big deer.
If there isn’t water/food, the deer won’t be there. If going higher means going into shale/peaks with little to no vegetation or water within a quarter-half mile, the deer won’t be there. If there is food and water higher up, and harder access, there will probably be deer. They don’t need a lot of food and water, little pockets that are hard to locate can be enough for bucks to stay up high. Doesn’t mean deer won’t be lower too though.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
If there isn’t water/food, the deer won’t be there. If going higher means going into shale/peaks with little to no vegetation or water within a quarter-half mile, the deer won’t be there. If there is food and water higher up, and harder access, there will probably be deer. They don’t need a lot of food and water, little pockets that are hard to locate can be enough for bucks to stay up high. Doesn’t mean deer won’t be lower too though.
These are my thoughts exactly, when it comes to scouting/hunting deer. I’ve been in places of Nevada where the bigger bucks were down low near water. In general though bucks prefer steeper rocky terrain, with food and water

OP
O

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
These are my thoughts exactly, when it comes to scouting/hunting deer. I’ve been in places of Nevada where the bigger bucks were down low near water. In general though bucks prefer steeper rocky terrain, with food and water
This is good info. Being a whitetail guy I pay a lot of attention to water for early season. But I look at some of these rocky cliffs mulies live in and think “no way they’re in that stuff”. But sure enough they’re there!

Taudisio

WKR
This is good info. Being a whitetail guy I pay a lot of attention to water for early season. But I look at some of these rocky cliffs mulies live in and think “no way they’re in that stuff”. But sure enough they’re there!
9 times out of 10 there is a trickle of water within 800 yards of them, you just haven’t found it.

Bhoops

FNG
I’ve never almost hit as many mule deer in late summer as driving through the sage scrub in an unnamed western state.